Selling Ammo... License or FFL required?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Do you need some type of license to sell ammo in the state of Indiana? I am asking for a friend. He reloads his own ammo, and was wondering what kind of license he would need in order to sell the ammo he reloads.

From what I have found online, you need an FFL to sell personally reloaded ammo. If you are purchasing ammo wholesale, or become a distributor for mainstream ammo brands, you do not need an FFL, just apply through the state for a Tax ID and stuff like that to start a sole proprietorship or something like it.

Please let me know, your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    By federal law, yes you need an ammunition manufacturers license to make rounds to sell. There are a few loop holes you can utilize to reload for friends but going to jail by selling at the shows is a real possibility.

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer? Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
    Q: Must a licensed manufacturer pay excise taxes? Yes. Licensed manufacturers incur excise tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition manufactured. See Item 17, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    By federal law, yes you need an ammunition manufacturers license to make rounds to sell. There are a few loop holes you can utilize to reload for friends but going to jail by selling at the shows is a real possibility.

this there is licenseing, tax id numbers, insurance etc to deal with. its not as simple as sit down at your press, make ammo, sell ammo

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    The reloaders I know can't sell me the whole round. I have to buy the brass and they will charge me to reload it.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    agreed. the only way i see to make much reloading ammo is to buy components in massive amounts and make your money on the discount you get

Custom made match ammo is a different story. I know some people that charge 2 bucks a round for 308. Blasting stuff, no way.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    nothing needed besides a retail sales certificate to sell factory ammo, but to sell reloads he must be an 07 FFL.

I dont think insured and bonded is a requirement of the ATF, but if you are not insured and bonded while selling reloads, then you probably wont be in business very long.

Top Bottom