• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    This sums up libertarians very well. face it, we have a two party system, if you stay home you are a vote for the democrat party. you may not like everything, but republicans wont take your guns, would never have passed obamacare, not have run up 6 trillion bucks in a few years, we would have had maybe 50 years more time of normalcy instead of it being destroyed in 4 short years, i blame the "third party" people just as much as i blame the liberals.

Republicans have taken guns in the past. Prior to Obama the debt increased more under Republican Presidents than Democratic ones. Republicans under Bush passed the prescription drug program that greatly increased Medicare spending. It's a myth that Republicans govern better than Democrats. They are both terrible, but for some reason you and many others choose to believe the Republican rhetoric.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Read the OP's post...

I read the post, the author of the letter stated that she was a Christian a couple of times... What is the big deal with that? I guess I don't understand why you brought this up.. I am not flaming just maybe need some explaining on your thought process. Most of the GOP are Christians if you don't realize that, its not a bad thing either.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Republicans have taken guns in the past. Prior to Obama the debt increased more under Republican Presidents than Democratic ones. Republicans under Bush passed the prescription drug program that greatly increased Medicare spending. It's a myth that Republicans govern better than Democrats. They are both terrible, but for some reason you and many others choose to believe the Republican rhetoric.

Hit the nail on the head. Multiple times. Broke the hammer, you owe us a new one.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    To be clear -- I don't mean any disrespect to Christians. I just get tired of seeing people who say things like "I"m a Christian/Buddhist/Muslim/Wiccan American who believes this person blah blah blah". To me that means that at least part of the reason they like X representative is that he/she votes for their religion. No one's religion should ever enter politics because politicians shouldn't be voting based on their religious beliefs.

It's entirely possible I read something that wasn't there, I'm just really wary of things like that.

And I'm wary of the false belief that the founding fathers intended there to be a separation of church and state...Danbury Baptist letter and Tripoli notwithstanding. This is a figment of the progressive era propaganda. When you cherry-pick quotes you like to support your position with the FF's without context, there's almost always contrary quotes to support the alternative argument.

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I read the post, the author of the letter stated that she was a Christian a couple of times... What is the big deal with that? I guess I don't understand why you brought this up.. I am not flaming just maybe need some explaining on your thought process. Most of the GOP are Christians if you don't realize that, its not a bad thing either.

I tried to explain it earlier. Generally I get wary anytime someone says "I'm <insert religion> voter"...what that tells me is that the voter is mixing religion and politics. Maybe I'm wrong on that and to re-clarify, I've got zip problems with religion...so long as it stays out of government affairs.

Sorry if anyone was offended!

Streak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    And I'm wary of the false belief that the founding fathers intended there to be a separation of church and state...Danbury Baptist letter and Tripoli notwithstanding. This is a figment of the progressive era propaganda. When you cherry-pick quotes you like to support your position with the FF's without context, there's almost always contrary quotes to support the alternative argument.

We can go into the fact that many of the Founding Fathers weren't of the Christian religion or that the entire state and being of America was founded because a bunch of business owners got tired of being taxed without any representation in the British government (along with a few actions of the Brits of the colonial soil).

The Treaty of Tripoli is a very strong indicator as it was passed unanimously and it was indeed the English reading that was read in Congress -- that included the "America is not founded on the Christian religion bit". It's not a "progressive era" propaganda and America wasn't so "Christian" until the Cold War era, heck our pledge was modified during that time to include "Under God" because the US Government felt that one of the best ways to fight Communism was to involve religion. America's religious policies were influenced heavily after that revelation.

That's not to argue that Presidents didn't allude to Christianity nor do I mean to impose that Christianity wasn't important to America.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I tried to explain it earlier. Generally I get wary anytime someone says "I'm <insert religion> voter"...what that tells me is that the voter is mixing religion and politics. Maybe I'm wrong on that and to re-clarify, I've got zip problems with religion...so long as it stays out of government affairs.

Sorry if anyone was offended!

Not offended at all. I just think the author of the letter was trying to reiterate the fact that she was part of the GOPs base, and telling them to go to hell. I think your issue is with a God you don't believe in, which is fine by me. I would never preach to you, or tell you that your wrong. That is the problem with your thinking though, IMO. As people, we have to form opinions from lessons learned, morals, and social behavior, agree?? I tend to think that there are far worse things to form thoughts from than Christianity. JMO

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We can go into the fact that many of the Founding Fathers weren't of the Christian religion or that the entire state and being of America was founded because a bunch of business owners got tired of being taxed without any representation in the British government (along with a few actions of the Brits of the colonial soil).

The Treaty of Tripoli is a very strong indicator as it was passed unanimously and it was indeed the English reading that was read in Congress -- that included the "America is not founded on the Christian religion bit". It's not a "progressive era" propaganda and America wasn't so "Christian" until the Cold War era, heck our pledge was modified during that time to include "Under God" because the US Government felt that one of the best ways to fight Communism was to involve religion. America's religious policies were influenced heavily after that revelation.

That's not to argue that Presidents didn't allude to Christianity nor do I mean to impose that Christianity wasn't important to America.

You're a true believer and I don't really have the energy nor the inclination to renew this debate.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    octalman said:
    So you can't handle disagreement, debate, criticism, etc. This is the pivotal moment in history to stand up and be counted instead of standing in the corner pouting. Prefer every party member to march in lock step? Welcome to the Democrats where everyone spouts the same nonsense. I too will stand with Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, and others that understand the Constitution. I will not stay home from the polls in selfish protest to make a point or punish the Republican Party. I will not vote for any Democrat in a fit of spite. Republicans don't pass your litmus test in order to earn support. Do the Democrats? Do you want to guarantee continued Democrat rule?

Where have we heard that before?

Every 4 years is touted as *the* pivotal moment in history....last time was probably close, and the GOP blew it again.

Had they opened the tent to the RP crowd that they chose, instead, to march out of nearly every convention (was the fear really that thick, or was it just their skulls) they wouldn't have called bull**** on their own claims of big tent unity and might have actually gotten enough people convinced change was possible in the party to go ahead and show up to vote for Romney.

I'm sorry, "I know you disagree, so hit the road" is not merely debate or criticism, it is ostracism, and most people don't take it lightly.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What if you're not Christian and you don't want religious values in government? If you read the Constitution it says they don't belong there...does Teddy understand this? Does he vote for the people and not his magic sky fairy or whatever he believes in? I'm sorry if Christians are offended, but I believe in the Separation of Church and State as stated by the Establishment Clause of our Constitution and confirmed by the founding fathers with the Treaty of Tripoli.

America is a nation of equals when it comes to government -- not Christians. Does Teddy understand this?
    Magic sky fairy?

Top Bottom