• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I applied with ADM Enforcement, a security team that watches over a few properties all around and inside Indianapolis. They are allowed to carry any gun really, OC spray, handcuffs, batons, etc. etc. Pretty much, LEO's without the power to arrest, give tickets, and without power away from their designated spot.

But that being put aside, I am wondering what kind of equipment should I get, provided I get the job, and they don't issue me anymore than a change of clothes and a radio?

I figure all of that stuff would be overkill, being just a security job, but I am open to all opinions.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If they allow you to carry all that stuff, are they also going to train you in their use?

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    With what I was told from 2 of their employees, they are going to put me through state training, so I will be able to carry the gun (training for that is on me I think), baton, oc spray, tazer, and anything else I want to take with me.

From what I know anyway, yes.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Taser/stun gun, multitool, lockpicks (which any well preparred citizen should have). Maybe a backup gun.

Not to step on any toes, but what is your interest in security? I mean, there is nothing wrong with it, most people tend to gravitate towards being an "official" cop. I suppose I can understand if you are wanting to get into law enforcement or something. Just currious.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Taser/stun gun, multitool, lockpicks (which any well preparred citizen should have). Maybe a backup gun.

Not to step on any toes, but what is your interest in security? I mean, there is nothing wrong with it, most people tend to gravitate towards being an "official" cop. I suppose I can understand if you are wanting to get into law enforcement or something. Just currious.

You actually smacked that right on the head. I wanted to do Army, but medical reasons kept me from that.

And I want to be an LEO. If you were to hear my family history, I could go back there and have every single person (save for... 3 of them) in my family arrested. The way I was raised, with who and "what fun stuff" in the house that could have gotten me arrested just for being 10 feet away from, I became friends with my school officer, who told me a lot about his job, to which I really enjoyed listening to. The problem is you have to be 21 to join the academy. I'm only 19.

So I started looking for something close, and was going to work at the Putnamville State Prison, but an hour drive one way, 4 days a week wouldn't cut it for me.

I spotted the ADM personnel in his car and stopped to talk to him, and decided I would do this, take the classes, and gain my little bit of experience for when I go through the academy, to improve my chances of being hired.

:D

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I worked Security for 4 years in undergrad. Not a bad way to earn a few bucks as you work toward something better.

You'll want a good duty belt, a key holder (most likely), maybe some flex cuffs (which you'll probably never use), a good small flashlight (My Inova X5 served me well through those years), and a decent multitool.

Oh, and some good footwear. Depending on the position, you'll likely spend alot of time on your feet.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I worked Security for 4 years in undergrad. Not a bad way to earn a few bucks as you work toward something better.

You'll want a good duty belt, a key holder (most likely), maybe some flex cuffs (which you'll probably never use), a good small flashlight (My Inova X5 served me well through those years), and a decent multitool.

Oh, and some good footwear. Depending on the position, you'll likely spend alot of time on your feet.

The thing about that is, either I go into the academy with no experience, and a shotty chance at getting hired after, or I start new at the security job and taking a cut from my $10.50/hr, which is barely making my bills as it is.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The thing about that is, either I go into the academy with no experience, and a shotty chance at getting hired after, or I start new at the security job and taking a cut from my $10.50/hr, which is barely making my bills as it is.

Ouch. I was getting alot more than that. Less than 10.50 for an armed position? That's brutal.
    From what I saw in my coworkers that were working to be LEOs, the various departments were not all that impressed with security experience. They liked college credits/degree more. Granted, that was Illinois.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Ouch. I was getting alot more than that. Less than 10.50 for an armed position? That's brutal.
    From what I saw in my coworkers that were working to be LEOs, the various departments were not all that impressed with security experience. They liked college credits/degree more. Granted, that was Illinois.

Granted though, Indiana has the wonderful city of Indianapolis, where it's more recommended to be street smart than book smart.

Plus, I'm not sure what I'm paid, but the guy I talked to started at 11/hr with around 10 years experience. Either that, or he exaggerates a lot.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Granted though, Indiana has the wonderful city of Indianapolis, where it's more recommended to be street smart than book smart.

Plus, I'm not sure what I'm paid, but the guy I talked to started at 11/hr with around 10 years experience. Either that, or he exaggerates a lot.

I was in Chicagoland, and even CPD didn't think all that highly of security experience, form what my coworkers were telling me.

11/hr after 10 years is pretty bad.
    You might want to talk to some Indy PD folks and see how much, if at all, working security will help your chances. Might not be worth the pay cut and the constant stream of Paul Blart jokes you'll have to endure. (thankfully, that movie came out way after I'd moved on)

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I worked armed security jobs for about 6 years in California. The best piece of equipment that I could suggest (after common sense) would be a nice bullet proof vest. Yes, they are hot, uncomfortable and pricey. But at the end of your shift you will have a better chance of going home.
    And yes, I do have first hand experience with this....:twocents:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As someone who has worked security both as a commercial security officer and as as Special Deputy, I know from experience that "real" police tend to look down on security officers. Unfortunately, the poor reputation of security officers is often justified because they seldom understand the limitations of their position and they often display a less-than-professional demeanor. You've got an uphill battle ahead either way. If you have no experience with firearms, you would be better served to concentrate on finding out what the law says about use of deadly force than to worry about what type of firearm to get. The company won't deliberately put you into a situation where you will do the wrong thing, but their bottom line is profit, and if you get into trouble because you misunderstood some point of company policy or the law, they will drop you like a hot rock. Better to concentrate on your education than to spend a lot of time in a job that won't do much to help you get where you want to go.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Have you considered doing it as a part time job? That way, you can augment your income, rather than replace it. Maybe after you've worked there for a while, a better paying security job will present itself, and you can go to that one full time.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    So now I have people telling me that it's good for the academy to have the security job, and now i'm being told that they look down on you for it. Maybe I'm just wasting my time with the security? I've applied at three colleges for Criminal Justice and a few other courses, to which I have gotten ZERO response, so the way it's looking now, on their point system, i'll get 0 for army, 0 for school, 0 for experience, 1 for academy.

That puts me WAY up there.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So now I have people telling me that it's good for the academy to have the security job, and now i'm being told that they look down on you for it. Maybe I'm just wasting my time with the security? I've applied at three colleges for Criminal Justice and a few other courses, to which I have gotten ZERO response, so the way it's looking now, on their point system, i'll get 0 for army, 0 for school, 0 for experience, 1 for academy.

That puts me WAY up there.

Told you that you had an uphill battle on this one. Doesn't mean you shouldn't
    try, but you'll have to be persistent and continually work to improve your chances. For every position open at a police or fire department, there are hundreds of applicants. No matter what you do, you're going to have to compete with those hundreds of applicants. I would suggest some military experience, but you've said that for some reason you can't join the military. If it's education, I'd suggest you study up and try again; if it's physical, perhaps you shouldn't be considering a career as a LEO. There are more schools out there than just three and you're only 19, so you've got some time to work on preparation, but you also have to look at your limitations realistically. They can be overcome, but you have to resign yourself to working much harder to achieve your goal.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You don't have to go to school for criminal justice. Maybe you could try to obtain some sort of business, psychology or general studies degree.

Top Bottom