Second hand range brass quality question. Green GO or no go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I have been reloading since 1976 and I know my way around the loading bench, fairly well. I have reloaded every cartridge I have ever shot (and damn near every single piece of brass, except for those I could not find or shotshells - have not gone there, yet)

My question is regarding my recent (only in this last year) delving into trying to save some money by buying "once fired brass" at a great discount from buying new or even buying new ammo and saving the brass as I have always done.

Now I have had great success with ordering used brass in 9mm, 45acp, 44Mag, 357 Mag (obviously gathered from indoor ranges and are good as new) and loving the savings, BUT, I have recently tried to save even more money by buying military range brass (in 5.56/223) that was apparently "picked up from the outdoors" after NO ONE KNOWS how long it has been out there, range brass. Now I was trying a lower grade product to save even more money, so I am not going against the vendor at all. I am just concerned about a few pieces.

My question is regarding the actual reliability of "some" of this range brass. Ninety percent is just like new after a wash and a tumble, but some came in the same box with deep green corrosion on the surface. After tumbling, an inspection revealed some pits in the metal from the deep green corrosion I presume.

Sorry, this has gotten so wordy, but I wanted you to know I am not a novice, been reloading for years, but buying range brass in low quality is new to me and I am not sure how to proceed safely. My instinct is to keep saving money and toss the green ones at once.

MY QUESTION: Should I trust these pieces which show pits and discoloration in the surface, even after hours of tumbling, or should I just trash/recycle them?
    Are they safe to use in standard 223 loads. I generally shoot 55gr or 68 gr at just under max loads.
    As I said, I have not tried these questionable ones at all, but should I or not? BTW, most of the re-used brass I have bought is for practice with my teen son and not critical as far as accuracy, but safety IS VERY critical.

Although, a ruptured case stuck in the chamber would be a viable training exercise, I do not want to do that with one of my better guns.

Any guidance here regarding the greenish cases would be appreciated. AND then there are degrees of green-ness ...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The savings on buying once fired brass is so significant, I think you can discard any that don't meet your personal quality standards. I have a bucket for this purpose, when it gets full I take it to the recycler and cash it in.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A long as they will hold neck tension and do not show signs of incipient case head separation then they are fine for plinking loads. I pick up a lot of brass that has been out in the field for quite a long time (years in some cases) and shoot it all. My precision rounds or my hot rounds get better brass.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have been reloading since 1976 and I know my way around the loading bench, fairly well. I have reloaded every cartridge I have ever shot (and damn near every single piece of brass, except for those I could not find or shotshells - have not gone there, yet)

My question is regarding my recent (only in this last year) delving into trying to save some money by buying "once fired brass" at a great discount from buying new or even buying new ammo and saving the brass as I have always done.

Now I have had great success with ordering used brass in 9mm, 45acp, 44Mag, 357 Mag (obviously gathered from indoor ranges and are good as new) and loving the savings, BUT, I have recently tried to save even more money by buying military range brass (in 5.56/223) that was apparently "picked up from the outdoors" after NO ONE KNOWS how long it has been out there, range brass. Now I was trying a lower grade product to save even more money, so I am not going against the vendor at all. I am just concerned about a few pieces.

My question is regarding the actual reliability of "some" of this range brass. Ninety percent is just like new after a wash and a tumble, but some came in the same box with deep green corrosion on the surface. After tumbling, an inspection revealed some pits in the metal from the deep green corrosion I presume.

Sorry, this has gotten so wordy, but I wanted you to know I am not a novice, been reloading for years, but buying range brass in low quality is new to me and I am not sure how to proceed safely. My instinct is to keep saving money and toss the green ones at once.

MY QUESTION: Should I trust these pieces which show pits and discoloration in the surface, even after hours of tumbling, or should I just trash/recycle them?
    Are they safe to use in standard 223 loads. I generally shoot 55gr or 68 gr at just under max loads.
    As I said, I have not tried these questionable ones at all, but should I or not? BTW, most of the re-used brass I have bought is for practice with my teen son and not critical as far as accuracy, but safety IS VERY critical.

Although, a ruptured case stuck in the chamber would be a viable training exercise, I do not want to do that with one of my better guns.

Any guidance here regarding the greenish cases would be appreciated. AND then there are degrees of green-ness ...

Any green for me hits the scrap bucket. My rule has always been if there is any question it gets scrapped. Guns are not cheap and I would hate to call my wife and tell her I blew myself up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have some brass that I've had since the 70s, as long as it working, it's shooting in some form. Heavy stuff gets new brass though.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I had already been separating the green and or pitted ones I did not trust into a coffee can, but since I plan to continue saving fairly decent bucks buying second grade, I might need to adapt the bucket idea since I am going to outgrow the coffee can pretty soon.

Thanks again. It seems as if we are all on the "same page," so to speak.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The green color makes me think that it could be chemically effected by copper removing solvent in the chamber when it was fired.
    Or it could have been exposed to acidic soil conditions afterwards.
    Also, depending upon the caliber of course, it could have been a black powder substitute.
    Lots of things can turn it green by attacking the copper in the alloy.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I love picked up range brass and it's the vast majority of what I reload. At first I bought used brass online but then I found out that at our police range, the grass is so long that hardly any of the brass is ever retrieved. I love taking the metal detector out there for some good old brass harvesting! Normally there is so much brass that the large detector never quits beeping so I have to use the smaller pin-pointer detector.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Nothing wrong with green brass as long as its clean, no dirt, and inspected for damage.
    Back in the 60's and early 70's no one tumbled their brass. They cleaned the dirt off of it and loaded it over and over.

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I love picked up range brass and it's the vast majority of what I reload. At first I bought used brass online but then I found out that at our police range, the grass is so long that hardly any of the brass is ever retrieved. I love taking the metal detector out there for some good old brass harvesting! Normally there is so much brass that the large detector never quits beeping so I have to use the smaller pin-pointer detector.

Sounds really cool!

... and the more often you pick up the brass, the less there is a chance of one turning green before you find it.
    There is a military base close by, but even when I had credentials as a civilian contractor, I was never allowed onto the range.

Top Bottom