• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    I currently have my scope maxed out at the highest elevation it will go. I still have to compensate ALOT when looking through it to make a simple 100 yard shot with my .22.

Is there any way to fix this? I have a scope mounted on the factory dovetail on my Marlin 795. My shots are still about four inches lower than where I aim...

Any suggestions INGO?:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A new scope with more elevation.

Failing that, Burris' rings employing their offset inserts are good for compensating mechanical inadequacies. Signature, and Posi Align models can be arranged to give you an MOA boost.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    try putting a new base on and maybe rings , its not the scope one of those are out of wack , i would replace the base first . If the scope is tracking good then would be willing to bet its the base . try that before the others

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    try putting a new base on and maybe rings , its not the scope one of those are out of wack , i would replace the base first . If the scope is tracking good then would be willing to bet its the base . try that before the others

from the above post how did you deduct that its not the scope?

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    what makes you think it is , i said if the scope is tracking good then probably the base . have had the same problem in past and replaced the base and fixed problem , i suppose you think he should replace the most expensive part first . but a .22 isnt going to drop so much at 100yrds as to not be able to adjust to point of aim .

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    what makes you think it is , i said if the scope is tracking good then probably the base . have had the same problem in past and replaced the base and fixed problem , i suppose you think he should replace the most expensive part first . but a .22mag isnt going to drop so much at 100yrds as to not be able to adjust to point of aim .

i dont know what the issue is. i also cant rule out the scope. alot of times when a scope only has 40 or less moa of travel this will happen. alot of times the scope will not be adjusting at all.

im just saying there is not enough info yet to rule anything out.

If the scope he is using only has 40ish moa of travel the a new scope would easily fix his problem. uncanted rings or a uncanted base may or may not fix his problem. he could buy those things and still end up buying a new scope. if he starts with the scope you know the issue is resolved obviously depending of the scope he is using.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If he is shooting 22 Mag out of his 795 he has more problems than drop compensation.

But I'd like to watch him try to replace the base, regardless.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    if he is using a 1'' scope and his base and rings are good then the scope would have plenty of adjustment to zero a .22 , he didnt say the scope wont hold zero or anything to make me think the scope is faulty, thus. my starting point would be the base and then the rings . a $20.00 base and $20 to $50.00 set of rings are alot cheaper that a $150.00 and up scope wouldn't you agree , now i guess if he had another scope to try then that would be a good thing to do first , but i would not jump into another scope right off the bat .

Last edited:

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    If he is shooting 22 Mag out of his 795 he has more problems than drop compensation.

But I'd like to watch him try to replace the base, regardless.
    yeah , just googled 795 . guess that would be kinda hard wouldnt it . and there is the the fact that is .22 long not mag dont know where i got mag from . and 42769vette could be on to something about scope being to high .

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if he is using a 1'' scope and his base and rings are good then the scope would have plenty of adjustment to zero a .22 , he didnt say the scope wont hold zero or anything to make me think the scope is faulty, thus. my starting point would be the base and then the rings . a $20.00 base and $20 to $50.00 set of rings are alot cheaper that a $150.00 and up scope wouldn't you agree , now i guess if he had another scope to try then that would be a good thing to do first , but i would not jump into another scope right off the bat .

he didnt say alot of things, that why i made the comment

"from the above post how did you deduct that its not the scope?"

or " dont know what the issue is"

or "im just saying there is not enough info yet to rule anything out"

i would agree 50-80 dollars is cheaper than 150 for a new scope.

would you agree that there is no garrentee new rings/bases would fix the issue? hypothetically if the scope he is using has 40 moa of travel (pretty common in cheaper scopes", would you agree a scope with 70-80 would defintally fix the problem.

basically 50-80 dollars might fix the problem, might not. 150 (the number you used) defintally would. if you pay the 50-80 for new rings and bases only to find out the scope is junk then you might end up paying 200-230.

for the scope height to be the issue it would have to be way up there. but i throw it out there as until we get more info there are no definate answers.

colinb913

if i can be of any help and you dont want to publically post, send me a pm or email (alan@aaoptics.com) ill do my best to help you trouble shoot and get you squared away

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    wow. just wow , i mean really just wow .:laugh: 40 moa should be plenty of adjustment for a .22 at 100yrds , your right that it would depend on the scope be in working order . that said, OP i would start with rings .

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    wow. just wow , i mean really just wow .:laugh: 40 moa should be plenty of adjustment for a .22 at 100yrds , your right that it would depend on the scope be in working order . that said, OP i would start with rings .

in a perfect world a 22lr will take about 28moa of adjustment to make it to 100 yds so yes 40 should be enough, but that 28moa does not take into effect anything but perfection in the entire system. it doesnt take much to make a 40 moa scope not enough

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    For this purpose you'd want to lower the front end of the scope relative to the bore, not raise it.

Simply raising or lowering one metal ring would result in the scope not nesting correctly. Snugging the ring caps would deform its tube and introduce more variables.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    in a perfect world a 22lr will take about 28moa of adjustment to make it to 100 yds so yes 40 should be enough, but that 28moa does not take into effect anything but perfection in the entire system. it doesnt take much to make a 40 moa scope not enough
    As I was reading this, I just guessed, that a .22 "should" drop around 18"-22" at 100 yards.....

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For the OP, what scope do you have on it now? (so we have an idea of how much adjustment you are working with and what you might be looking for in an alternative/replacement)

Additionally, do you happen to know what height rings you have?

What range are you able to get zero'd at? (if you have been able to get a zero at all)

What ammo have you tried? (mostly relevant if you have been using subsonics -- I had some issues with my 10/22 before I realized that the particular subsonics I was using where dropping almost 9" from my barrel on a 50yd zero)

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    As I was reading this, I just guessed, that a .22 "should" drop around 18"-22" at 100 yards.....

if it has 18-22 inches of drop that would mean in a perfect world you would need 38-42 moa of internal elevation. i could defintally be wrong on my 28moa, im sure there is a way to really break down the math to exactly what it is i just dont know it. i did some numbers in my head and came up with 28 i know from a 50yd zero i have 7 1/4moa of drop to 100

Top Bottom