• ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    What will be the best Scope to put on my new Ruger 77/44
    Just going to whitetail hunt here in Indiana. I like the Nikon scopes but not sure which is the right for it.
    thought this would be a good place to get some ideas.
    Thanks
    Mike

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a couple of Nikon 2-7 ProStaffs that work great. No compensation though (doesn't matter for me, but YMMV) and the magnification feels good for the all-too-rare 5-10yd shots but still works well out to 200-250yds.

If I where to change, it would probably be a Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x or a Midway's 3-10 Weaver mildot scope for the money.

Personally, I like the Leupold Ultimate Slam BDC points better than the Nikon BDCs. The dots reducing in size as you get father out feels more intuitive than the circles that are all the same size. Again, this is just preference.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    what ranges do you plan to shoot? you might look at a 2-7 power range. send me a message or give me a call (765) 580-0986. walking customers into the perfect scope for your needs in your budget is the whole reason i started my business

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a couple of Nikon 2-7 ProStaffs that work great. No compensation though (doesn't matter for me, but YMMV) and the magnification feels good for the all-too-rare 5-10yd shots but still works well out to 200-250yds.

If I where to change, it would probably be a Leupold Ultimate Slam 2-7x or a Midway's 3-10 Weaver mildot scope for the money.

Personally, I like the Leupold Ultimate Slam BDC points better than the Nikon BDCs. The dots reducing in size as you get father out feels more intuitive than the circles that are all the same size. Again, this is just preference.

vortex diamondback 2-7 with bdc is cheaper, higher quality optics, better warrenty. the leupold does absolutly nothing better than the diamondback. unless your the kind of guy who likes to throw there money away on a name the ultimate slam is a horrible scope for the money.

NiceGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Nikon ProStaff would be a great choice. Fairly priced, great optics, life warranty. Shop around for best price.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm jumping the shark here but I hunt in valley's and brush and usually don't hunt the open fields but sometimes hunt field edges in little fingers and I put a burris Fastfire2 and it really works for me, Fast and easy to track moving deer, I've hit deer from 35yds to 110 yds.

Thats my 2 cents

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I think a fixed 4 or 6 power scope would be best for deer hunting in Indiana.

Check out a Weaver 4x38 or 6x38...Leupold fx 6x36 or m8 6x42...or a Sightron S2 or Big Sky 6x42.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have a FX2 2.5X Ultralight fixed on my 44; a VX3 1.5-5x or 1.75-6x would make a nice variable.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    dont go with a fixed power. there is no 1 power setting that is perfect for everything. even though 90% of you hunting may be done on 1 power setting, it doesn't cost any more for the option of changing powers so why limit yourself.

i stock varible power scopes that are
    1.75-5
    2-7
    3-9
    (and alot above that)

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    You should also look at the Redfield 2-7x32 and 3-9x40 scopes. Great buy for the $

+1 for the new Redfields,I put a 3-9x40 on my 77/.44. I never got toshoot anything with it this season but at the end of the season it was still dead on after being beat around in the brush and up and down tree stands for two weeks.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    dont go with a fixed power. there is no 1 power setting that is perfect for everything. even though 90% of you hunting may be done on 1 power setting, it doesn't cost any more for the option of changing powers so why limit yourself.

i stock varible power scopes that are
    1.75-5
    2-7
    3-9
    (and alot above that)
    A couple of points of dissent:
    A .44 necessarily limits the ranges and game that you are hunting in the first place, thus not nearly as much felxibility is required in the scope. It's not a combo small game, long range varmint, big game gun. It's a deer gun, it doesn't have to be good at everything. At 10-150 yards, a fixed 4 or 6 will get the job done just dandy on deer.
    A fixed power for X dollars often has better glass than a variable for the same money.
    All I am saying is, it's not a total no-brainer decision. It depends on what the OP likes. He may agree with you, but that doesn't mean that there is no merit to a straight power.
    HB

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A couple of points of dissent:
    A .44 necessarily limits the ranges and game that you are hunting in the first place, thus not nearly as much felxibility is required in the scope. It's not a combo small game, long range varmint, big game gun. It's a deer gun, it doesn't have to be good at everything. At 10-150 yards, a fixed 4 or 6 will get the job done just dandy on deer.
    A fixed power for X dollars often has better glass than a variable for the same money.
    All I am saying is, it's not a total no-brainer decision. It depends on what the OP likes. He may agree with you, but that doesn't mean that there is no merit to a straight power.
    HB

the zoom range has nothing to do with glass quality. let use the millet 1-4 as a example vs the leupold straight 4x you mentioned.

Leupold FX-II 4x33mm Rifle Scope FREE S&H 58530, 58550. Leupold FX-II Riflescopes, Leupold Riflescopes.

Millett DMS 1-4x24 Designated Marksman Red-Dot Rifle Scope BK81002 w/ FREE UPS

the millet is going to have every bit as good glass as a low end leupold, and it is more versatle. not to mention its 75 dollars less.

the gap gets bigger the higher you go.

now compare the same leupold

vs the vortex viper 3-9

Vortex Viper 3-9x40 Matte Riflescopes FREE S&H VPR-M-01BDC. Vortex Viper Riflescopes, Vortex Riflescopes.

same price much better glass, obviously more versatle, better warrenty. plus it gives you the option of putting it on a rifle more capable of shooting further for than 150 yds. im pretty sure if you had a 3-9 on the 44 you mentioned having at 150yds you would dial up past 4x. and as i said it doesn't cost extra

seems obvious enough to me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Get a scope with a small eyebell- something like a Leupold or Nikon. Bushnell Banners (and similar) will have a large eyebell and it barely clears the bolt handle with reg supplied rings. You could go higher ring, but then you might lose the relexivity of such a potentially handy package.

Even with a Leupold (my choice would be a straight 4x or 2-7X variable) you aren't going to have much hand clearance. No biggie, can learn to sweep the bolt a little differently if your established technique doesn't work so well on the rig.

For me it's such a PITA I wouldn't get one.

My bud sold his due to similar feelings IIRC.

But then I have access to a Ruger auto .44, so maybe my view is a bit harsh.

Top Bottom