• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Just bought a 458 socom upper for my ar and was wondering what might be a good scope to go with and one that's reliable round after round. Also if I switch back and forth a lot between uppers, will i need to resight it after I put it on everytime or should it hold true?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you will be in the ballpark of sighted if you buy a quality scope and qd rings in but not exact. id say within 2moa but thats a guess

what price range are you talking about? what other rifle do you plan to flip it to? is this a hunting or target rifle? how do you plan to adjust for longer range shots (holdover or dialing).

for the rings/base larue are not cheap but they are extreamly impressive

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Questions answered in Red.

you will be in the ballpark of sighted if you buy a quality scope and qd rings in but not exact. id say within 2moa but thats a guess

what price range are you talking about? $3-500
    what other rifle do you plan to flip it to?I would be taking my upper off and swapping the .223 upper back on for plinking.
    is this a hunting or target rifle? Hunting and very limited target shooting due to ammo price until I can reload.
    how do you plan to adjust for longer range shots (holdover or dialing).
    Not sure.

for the rings/base larue are not cheap but they are extreamly impressive

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    look at the bushnell trophy m&p , I have one on a few different rifles and love them, they have back up sights on it too!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm running a Baush & Lomb (Bushnell) Elite 3200 2-7 x 32 in a RRA 1" flattop mount and it rocks. I've let Andrew at Profire use it to infect others with the SOCOM sickness and it was ringing steel at 200 yards. Any good shotgun scope should hold up to the recoil. I've been looking at a Leupold VX-R in 2-7....just can't see the $479 for it.

Want2ShootMore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Marion
    I'm running a Baush & Lomb (Bushnell) Elite 3200 2-7 x 32 in a RRA 1" flattop mount and it rocks. I've let Andrew at Profire use it to infect others with the SOCOM sickness and it was ringing steel at 200 yards. Any good shotgun scope should hold up to the recoil. I've been looking at a Leupold VX-R in 2-7....just can't see the $479 for it.

A shotgun scope will hold up to the recoil, however they are not a good choice for the 458 because they are not set up for the same ranges.

This quote is stolen from Big Bore from 458socomforums.com

Shotgun scopes are usually set up with their parallax set for 40 or 50 yards. That will throw you off by a sizable amount if you are taking a 200 yard shot if your eye happens to be off center of the scope. People do not realize how important proper parallax is to shooting well. You will never, ever see a real long range shooter using a scope that does not have parallax adjustment.
    To see how much off you can be, look through a shotgun scope and with the scope fixed on a target a couple hundred yards away, move your head from side to side a little and watch how the cross hair tracks across the target. That is all parallax error. Do this with a scope that has the parallax set for what most rifle scopes are, 100 or 150 yards, and the cross hair barely moves off target. Do this with a scope that has parallax adjustment and the cross hair will not move at all, regardless of where your eye is. That is one of the things that make the red-dots like the EOTech so nice, they are parallax free no matter where your eye is positions, but they also do not magnify which makes them less than desirable for precision long range shooting.

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I am running a primary arms 1x4 illuminated scope in a Rock River 1" one peice mount. I have zeroed at 100 yards. My rig is set up to hunt so it works well for me I use the same scope on my AR10

Hunter66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Muncie
    I just got one also and I was looking at scopes I going to try a muzzleloader scope that has the bullet drop compensate in the crosshairs the socom will be close to that

Top Bottom