• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Ok so I am relatively new to the knife world....I have always owned and used knifes on a daily basis but never really new the differences in steel, handles, lock types, custom makers, etc. lately I have been doing a lot of research and trying to educate myself. I know one of the things about Damascus steel is it gives a beautiful looking blade but what of the quality of steel? What's it comparable to? Is it hard, tough, does it hold an edge well? I'm assuming since it a combination of different steels this could vary but any info would be helpful! Thanks!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ok here are some links to actual forging of Damascus steel by Mick Strider (the man who made Strider knives)
    Actual Forging - Monkey Edge TV: Mick Strider Forging Damascus - YouTube
    End Result - Mick Strider Custom SMF Cobalt Damascus - YouTube ($3,000+ Knife)
    I am partial to the Strider damascus but as long as the manufacturer of the damascus knows what they are doing it is a very good steel. A lot of knife companies will just buy damascus from companies like Devin Thomas ( Chris Reeve uses this) so the quality is very high. But the down side to damascus is due to the very labor intensive forging process it makes the actual knife cost more than the other steels.
    Hope this helped!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    True Damascus steel really never needs sharpening, per se.
    They more or less sharpen themselves with wear. True Damascus is VERY good steel, but there are fakes out there.

You get what you pay for when talking Damascus steel. There is no such thing as "cheap" Damascus.

Top Bottom