SBR owners, why not start with a Pistol Lower first.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok so here is the deal Ive been mulling around the idea of an SBR build, Im pretty sure I understand all the rules and and legal requirements in order to build/possess a SBR. My question is if someone is building one, why wouldnt they definitely start off with a pistol lower to make sure that it would run completely flawless before sending out the Form 1. I could understand if you were buying a factory SBR to go ahead with the paper process, but with being a frankenstien SBR I am thinking that it would be in my best interest to shoot it as a pistol first to be positive that is the setup id like to stick with before my stamp process is begun. Am I crazy for thinking this??? :ingo:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing. I'll gladly pay for a pistol receiver extension (that's reusable on my next build) to ensure my SBR works.

My plan:
    1. Build lower as a pistol
    1a. build an upper < 16" (length TBD)
    2. shoot pistol to ensure function
    3. Send off paperwork
    3a. get lower engraved

If there's something illegal about that plan, please let me know. I just ordered a stripped lower so I'm very early in the process.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That's a perfectly good and legal plan. Lots of people build up as a pistol first and then convert to rifle after the stamp comes back. Everybody's situation is different, that's why everybody doesn't do it that way. I bought my upper complete from BCM, so I wasn't that worried about function and can troubleshoot most problems.

Other people use an already existing rifle, so they can't convert to a pistol legally.

Different strokes for different folks.... but it IS a smart idea to build it as a pistol and test fire it if possible.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great minds...:):

I'm leaning heavily towards 300 BLK. What are you going to do?
    Im juggling that idea also, the 3oo Blk is a friggin sweet round though the availability of that round might be the reason I stay away from it till it is more popular. Ok quick question, say i get a 10.5 upper in 5.56 and send out my form 1 and get approved I later decide to get a 300 BLK upper, will I just have to notify the BATF to add that caliber or will I need to get it stamped also??? Soooooo many questions.:n00b:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Im juggling that idea also, the 3oo Blk is a friggin sweet round though the availability of that round might be the reason I stay away from it till it is more popular. Ok quick question, say i get a 10.5 upper in 5.56 and send out my form 1 and get approved I later decide to get a 300 BLK upper, will I just have to notify the BATF to add that caliber or will I need to get it stamped also??? Soooooo many questions.:n00b:

No you don't have to notify or stamp anything. The caliber and length on the Form 1 are what you intend to build as the INITIAL configuration. If you ever change the configuration and get rid of those parts (permanent switch from 5.56 to 300 BLK) it's a good idea to notify the ATF in writing so that the registry is correct. This is NOT required though.

You are free to change lengths and calibers at will. Many people have multiple uppers in different lengths and calibers for their SBR. This is perfectly acceptable.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I am going to buy a palmetto lower and lpk with a pistol tube and use that as my pistol testing lower. Just use it on all of my short uppers until I get the stamps back.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ok so here is the deal Ive been mulling around the idea of an SBR build, Im pretty sure I understand all the rules and and legal requirements in order to build/possess a SBR. My question is if someone is building one, why wouldnt they definitely start off with a pistol lower to make sure that it would run completely flawless before sending out the Form 1. I could understand if you were buying a factory SBR to go ahead with the paper process, but with being a frankenstien SBR I am thinking that it would be in my best interest to shoot it as a pistol first to be positive that is the setup id like to stick with before my stamp process is begun. Am I crazy for thinking this??? :ingo:

I've been close several times to getting stuff around to do my first SBR packet to send off when random bills came up. Instead, I picked up a pistol buffer tube and got everything together to see how it would run. Doing it piece by piece, I was able to get it together and see how it functioned. SBR packet will be going in soon as I'll have the spare cash but I got to find out if I liked running the setup.

As far as community pistol buffer tube assemblies, mine will be in use for awhile but once the stamp comes back I'd probably be willing to lend it out.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been close several times to getting stuff around to do my first SBR packet to send off when random bills came up. Instead, I picked up a pistol buffer tube and got everything together to see how it would run. Doing it piece by piece, I was able to get it together and see how it functioned. SBR packet will be going in soon as I'll have the spare cash but I got to find out if I liked running the setup.

As far as community pistol buffer tube assemblies, mine will be in use for awhile but once the stamp comes back I'd probably be willing to lend it out.

Ill gladly pass my pistol buffer around once I get my stamp back.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I did and highly recommend going that route. I had a pistol and then did my Form 1.
    Pistol-
    img0001tg3.jpg

SBR-
    IMG_2515.jpg

The best part is that you can get it all sorted out, making sure it runs and has no problems, while you wait for the stamp to come back.
    Mine runs anything. Wolf, surplus, WWB, Remington, etc. No problems. I had maybe 1000 rounds through it as a pistol and maybe 700 through it as a SBR.

Built myself from a stripped Spikes lower and upper receiver.

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did and highly recommend going that route. I had a pistol and then did my Form 1.
    Pistol-
    img0001tg3.jpg

SBR-
    IMG_2515.jpg

The best part is that you can get it all sorted out, making sure it runs and has no problems, while you wait for the stamp to come back.
    Mine runs anything. Wolf, surplus, WWB, Remington, etc. No problems. I had maybe 1000 rounds through it as a pistol and maybe 700 through it as a SBR.

Built myself from a stripped Spikes lower and upper receiver.
    What's ur barrel length???? Its beautiful.

Top Bottom