Saw lead in mid flight for the first time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    A couple days ago at linden, a gentleman was shooting a 1911, and while I was waiting for him to finish, the angle of the sun hit the bullets just right, and for the first time ever, I could actually see the trajectory in mid air. This was a first for me, and I thought it was pretty neat. thought id share.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It IS a cool phenomenon, isn't it? I see this fairly regularly at FNS matches, standing directly behind the shooter with the sun going down and the range lights on. Sure makes it easy to call misses if the shooter is having problems...

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    sounds cool! I've always dug high speed photos of shells hitting stuff or simply flying through the air with waves behind them but, can't say in all my shooting I've ever seen a bullet.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Shooting with tracers in the Army (M16, M60 Machine Gun, and 50 cal machine gun). It's amazing just how fast they get to where they're going, and how you can perceive the arc.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    It's fun to plink at night and watch a .22lr round travel through the smoke around the barrel all the way to the target! I saw that one night coming out of my AR/w .22lr kit. It was lighted up by my weapon mounted flashlight and was SO COOL to see. We were calling hits and misses out to 25 yards!

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    I was sighting in a .243 one day at about 150 yds. and my buddy was trying to hit the same target with a .22 and with the sun just right i could tell him where his bullets were flying. I thought that it was pretty cool to be able to see bullets flying.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I picked out a nice comfy place to fire prone at a CAPEX (i.e. a demo for "VIP's")... unfortunately, it was next to a Vulcan or whatever the ADA guys call them. I was BURIED in hot brass in about 1 second. I never saw the round go down range, I was too busy moving!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I picked out a nice comfy place to fire prone at a CAPEX (i.e. a dog and pony show)... unfortunately, it was next to a Vulcan or whatever the ADA guys call them. I was BURIED in hot brass in about 1 second. I never saw the round go down range, I was too busy moving!

:laugh:

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    What's always amazed me with tracers is that you can see where they go AFTER they hit the target. Holy cow!
    I second that---wanna scare the heck out of you, shoot a 50
    m2 with tracer--kinda like the energizer bunny.
    regular bullets do that too---just can't see em and makes me wonder how safe some ranges really are.

Steve

Top Bottom