• ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    You feel like screaming don't you?

BANGKOK — There are plenty of needy countries at the U.N. climate talks in Bangkok that make the case they need financial assistance to adapt to the impacts of global warming. Then there are the Saudis.
    Saudi Arabia has led a quiet campaign during these and other negotiations — demanding behind closed doors that oil-producing nations get special financial assistance if a new climate pact calls for substantial reductions in the use of fossil fuels.
    That campaign comes despite an International Energy Agency report released this week showing that OPEC revenues would still increase $23 trillion between 2008 and 2030 — a fourfold increase compared to the period from 1985 to 2007 — if countries agree to significantly slash emissions and thereby cut their use of oil. That is the limit most countries agree is needed to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.
    The head of the Saudi delegation Mohammad S. Al Sabban dismissed the IEA figures as “biased” and said OPEC's own calculations showed that Saudi Arabia would lose $19 billion a year starting in 2012 under a new climate pact. The region would lose much more, he said.
    “We are among the economically vulnerable countries,” Al Sabban told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the talks ahead of negotiations in Copenhagen in December for a treaty to replace the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012.

Saudis ask for aid if world cuts dependence on oil | Energy | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    We should aid them ......... in seriously impacting their silken-clad butts.......with the toes of our collective boots........ again, and again, and again... just sayin'

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think this is perfectly reasonable.
    After his term has ended, we can send Obama over there and he can help them redistribute their wealth.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Those fine gentlemen over there have received way more of the world's wealth than they ever deserved. If they have already spent it all and will be destitute relatively soon, I say thank heaven. They need to go back to their camel polo and being only as important a pile of dung in the desert.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is another reason we should let them crash n burn....

The debate over the controversial practice of child marriage in Saudi Arabia was pushed back into the spotlight this week, with the kingdom's top cleric saying that it's OK for girls as young as 10 to wed. "It is incorrect to say that it's not permitted to marry off girls who are 15 and younger," Sheikh Abdul Aziz Al-Sheikh, the kingdom's grand mufti, said in remarks quoted Wednesday in the regional Al-Hayat newspaper. "A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think she's too young are wrong and they are being unfair to her."

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Those fine gentlemen over there have received way more of the world's wealth than they ever deserved. If they have already spent it all and will be destitute relatively soon, I say thank heaven. They need to go back to their camel polo and being only as important a pile of dung in the desert.

You have this all wrong. The expense of keeping Camel herds and all of those lavish Palaces are just too much for the Sheiks to be monetarily responsible for ;)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What I think is sad is that while we send them billions in not only oil money (not just what oil companies make, but what the Saudi govt makes in selling the oil rights to their nation) but also military aid. They buy weapons, but complain that they aren't armed enough. It's not like Israel where they usually dont have ENOUGH military aid to combat their issuesand deserves the aid, Saudi Arabia has MORE than enough money. But instead of buying hard power or solidfying their economic future by investing in other technologies or industries, they send their spoiled royalty children to Europe and America to get drunk or buy billions in luxuries.

Why continue to throw money at a nation that does not believe in woman's voting, equal rights, constitutional government, human rights or any of the things that we hold dear? Oil. We are horribly addicted to this mineral methanphetimine. We dont give them "support" after they run out/have to cut production, count on terrorism rising quick. Does that justify their demand? No. But we helped create it with oil lust and guzzling energy policies.

Another thing that gets me is while they have billions of dollars thrown around for their royalty, their country suffers in poverty. Their infrastructure is horrible and they offer no social services, nor aid to their people. It all goes to a select few at the top. Wealth Distribution may actually be helpful. This isn't a company that makes a ton of money and folks are envious of their wealth. This is a nationstate that is not providing any help for it's own people. Disgusting.

I do have to say that if the Saudis did start to do things responsibly: Such as investment in other national industries (instead of JUST oil) or improve their infrastructure, some American or European power would jump up and down due to a decline in luxury purchases. We are stuck with this spoiled brat of a nation state. Who's up for Annexation? :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    We should start helping them right now, don't wait until they have all the money in the world.

We could help them learn a new occupation such as glass blowing. In fact I'd suggest we turn all the sand in Saudi Arabia to glass tomorrow at dawn.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You sure about that?:dunno:

Hilary is 4th *shudder*, Geithner is 5th.

If we send the first 5, then Gates is 6th...I could live with that before any of the first 5...

I say we send all 5 of them over. Take 'em in a C-130 & airdrop 'em. Heck, I'd say we could even give them 1 or 2 parachutes to use.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So I am trying to get this straight. The Saudis, the richest people in the known universe, who's net worth runs just the other side of a few bazillion dollars, is afraid of losing a couple of dollars if we stop buying their oil. Let me play the smallest violin for them, a sad song about TOO BAD!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    So I am trying to get this straight. The Saudis, the richest people in the known universe, who's net worth runs just the other side of a few bazillion dollars, is afraid of losing a couple of dollars if we stop buying their oil. Let me play the smallest violin for them, a sad song about TOO BAD!

Pretty much that. If oil fails, then ONLY have their international global trade port network and commercial shipping infrastructure to back up on. Disgusting...

Top Bottom