• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have been hunting since 2001 and have had much success with firearms and archery. But the forecast for Saturday is literally 000 wind for three hours early AM. I have never seen this before...what to do?

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I'm pretty hard core about covering my scent the best I can. I keep my hunting gear in a scent lock duffel bag and I shower with earth scent soap. I put a couple earth scent wafers in the bag. I've taken a lot of deer and I believe getting caught moving is just as important. Not matter how bored you get just remember that a deer might be closer than you realize and they pick up on movement pretty easy. I go full camo and go the extra mile to keep my scent covered. Hope this helps and good luck and always stay safe. Dan

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I wouldn't let it keep me out of the woods. I read an article once where they studied deer movement and kills over a 20 year period compared with the weather on each day. The study found that temp was the main factor in deer movement, followed by cloudy or clear sky and rain, with wind being the third factor. They actually found that the best movement was seen on cold/clear bright/windy days but too much wind would cause the deer to stay bedded down.

Looks like Saturday we will have the first two variables in place and with the movement I am seeing the Indiana hunters talk about on ArcheryTalk.com, it should be a great opening day.

I took my first bow buck last Saturday and it was cool around 55 degrees, sunny and no wind. Like farmerdan, I wash my clothes in scent free soap and bag them with earth scent wafers. I take a shower in scent free soap and spray down on my way into the stand. I also keep a small bottle of spray in my pack and spray occasionally while in the stand, focused on my head, groin, pits and rear end. I take it one step further and I also spray my boots with Acorn scent and then the tree around my stand when I get in first thing. I read that acorn scent was the main scent that confused police dogs in another study.

None of the deer I saw had any clue I was in the tree and the buck came to within 25 yards. I maybe am going to the extreme but have had success during firearms using these steps.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I like light to no wind as it's easier to hear the approaching deer and get ready for a shot.

Slonsteady

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    I see deer all the time while squirrel hunting. The only thing I do is wake up early and not take a shower. Maybe they know something about me, Saw two turkeys few week ago too. Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom