• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You can't make this stuff up.

The pet ban would be city-wide [if passed].

The soda ban seems to be limited to city property. This one seems to be in effect already.
    San Francisco considers banning sale of pets except fish

Sell a guinea pig, go to jail. That's the law under consideration by San Francisco's Commission of Animal Control and Welfare. If the commission approves the ordinance at its meeting tonight, San Francisco could soon have what is believed to be the country's first ban on the sale of all pets except fish.

That includes dogs, cats, hamsters, mice, rats, chinchillas, guinea pigs, birds, snakes, lizards and nearly every other critter, or, as the commission calls them, companion animals.

"People buy small animals all the time as an impulse buy, don't know what they're getting into, and the animals end up at the shelter and often are euthanized," said commission Chairwoman Sally Stephens. "That's what we'd like to stop."

San Francisco residents who want a pet would have to go to another city, adopt one from a shelter or rescue group, or find one through the classifieds.

The Board of Supervisors would have final say on the matter. But not before pet store owners unleash a cacophony of howling, squeaking and squawking.

"It's terrible. A pet store that can't sell pets? It's ridiculous," said John Chan, manager of Pet Central on Broadway, which has been in business 30 years. "We'd have to close."
    San Francisco Bans Coca-Cola, Mr. Pibb

The sale of Coca-Cola is now outlawed at San Francisco City Hall. That means if you need to wash down that tofu turkey dog, you’ll need to order a bottle of soy milk.

Mayor Gavin Newsome has issued an executive order banning Coke, Pepsi and Fanta Orange from vending machines on city property. The directive also includes non-diet sodas, sports drinks and artificially sweetened water.

That means you can no longer “Do the Dew” at City Hall. Dr. Pepper? Not welcome and neither is Mr. Pibb.

Even fruit juices have come under the mayor’s scrutiny. Juices must be made from 100 percent juice with no added sweeteners.

So what’s a thirsty San Franciscan supposed to drink?

Well, according to the mayor, the city’s vending machines will be stocked with a wide variety of “healthy” alternatives. Imagine nursing a glass of rice milk or perhaps soy milk on a warm, sunny day. The machines will also be stocked with water — provided it meets fat and sugar content requirements.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the ban is part of the mayor’s effort to slim the city’s waistlines.

“There’s a direct link between what people eat and drink and the obesity and health care crisis in this country,” Newsom spokesman Tony Winnicker told the newspaper. “It’s entirely appropriate and not at all intrusive for city government to take steps to discourage the sale of sugary sodas on city property.”

Not intrusive unless, of course, you want a bottle of root beer or a Fresca.

The city’s ban is believed to be one of the strictest in the nation and it’s drawn the ire of the California/Nevada Soft Drink Association.

“This is all about choice,” Executive Director Bob Achermann told the Chronicle. “There is probably nothing more personal than what you drink or eat. Singling out beverages in this whole equation of how to fight obesity is not going to be the answer.”

But Winnicker said the only thing they are banning is the sale of soft drinks — not the actual consumption. “People absolutely remain free to choose to drink unhealthy sugary sodas anywhere they want,” he told the newspaper. “Selling them is another matter.”

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Leave it to PRoK to choose social engineering over anything (coke machines) that might actually turn a small profit to help dig their sorry asses out of bankruptcy.

That their citizens can stand for this lunacy is one reason I've become very pessimistic about this country's chances. I just don't see the pendulum swinging back.

Last edited:

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    What are you supposed to do with a fish besides eat it if you get hungry. Apartment Complexes aren't much different concerning pets. At the Complex I live at you're only allowed to have cats, hamsters, fish, ankle biter dogs, and digusting birds. I asked about having a Hedgehog, Fancy Rat, and Ferret. The Complex told me NO. I'm most interested in the Ferret as they're not noisy like ankle biters and there's no need to take them out to pitch a load. Ferrets are nowhere near as destructive at cats that aren't declawed which I don't believe in doing. Plus Ferrets sleep most of the day like me so it's a perfect fit.

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    That is insane!!! Id say I hope the people rise up and fight that but they are a bunch of sissy ass lovers that do what they are told so ohhhh well :D.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm hoping that state will completely fold in the next couple of years. Then we could auction it off to the highest bidder, break it off from the rest of the country and the new owner can tow it wherever they would like. Maybe we could get Boeing to buy it, tow it 500 miles off the coast of Nevada and use it as a bombing range?

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    San Fagcisco, eh? My surprised face --->
    smiley_nosmile.gif

I guess It's time to move to the outskirts of town and open up a hamster store.

ReSS

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I'm hoping for that, as well. If it does happen, that might be the tipping point for the rest of the country, because we'll be called on to bail them out.

I'm hoping that state will completely fold in the next couple of years. Then we could auction it off to the highest bidder, break it off from the rest of the country and the new owner can tow it wherever they would like. Maybe we could get Boeing to buy it, tow it 500 miles off the coast of Nevada and use it as a bombing range?

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I can't wait until it falls into the Ocean. I hate every single thing about it. It has no redeaming qualities.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    We do drink too much sugary soda and juices, but banning it is just crazy. We the people need to exercise more personal responsibility and decide for ourselves to stop eating unhealthy, me included, but it should not be mandated by the government.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    We do drink too much sugary soda and juices, but banning it is just crazy. We the people need to exercise more personal responsibility and decide for ourselves to stop eating unhealthy, me included, but it should not be mandated by the government.

that was my line of thinking when I read this. Like Mc Donald's, Burger King, etc. we over indulge in to many things that are not healthy for us. If we allow the gov't to dictate to us what we can and can not eat & drink though, what's next?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    that was my line of thinking when I read this. Like Mc Donald's, Burger King, etc. we over indulge in to many things that are not healthy for us. If we allow the gov't to dictate to us what we can and can not eat & drink though, what's next?

A prohibition? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom