• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Very good post, thanks! I had no idea the cylinder locks were that easy to pick, albeit with a special tool.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Deviant can be pretty foul mouthed, but he's usually right on when it comes to this sort of thing.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The guys is a potty mouth something-head.

I hate it when people like him agree with me.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Since when has a cheap BIC pen been considered a "special tool?" :D

MOTHER#&*%ER!!! I just opened up my key cabinet on the first try using a Bic pen. I have three other things that use a tubular lock, including an old Kryptonite bike lock. When I bought that thing in the '80s they said it was un-pickable, and even guarenteed your bike against theft if you used their lock. Too late to get my money back, I suppose. :xmad:

What was that lock manufacturer Deviant mentioned? Abloy? Think I might be converting those tubular locks over to them.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    MOTHER#&*%ER!!! I just opened up my key cabinet on the first try using a Bic pen. I have three other things that use a tubular lock, including an old Kryptonite bike lock. When I bought that thing in the '80s they said it was un-pickable, and even guarenteed your bike against theft if you used their lock. Too late to get my money back, I suppose.

What was that lock manufacturer Deviant mentioned? Abloy? Think I might be converting those tubular locks over to them.

I bookmarked the Abloy website, though not really sure about their products. Looks like one has to change out the internals of a lock. I might give it a shot. The whole BIC pen Kryptonite thing was a disaster for the company. Also, bump lock unlocking for Kwikset was embarrassing as well. Look at Medeco as well.

For complete security, the best would be good security doors, a home alarm system that is both wired and wireless. Then one must get a decent gun safe with at least an S&G lock. I'm not a big fan of electronic locks, and would suggest a safe with an S&G dial lock that also can be locked itself.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I bookmarked the Abloy website, though not really sure about their products. ...

Rest assured, Abloy locks are very nice indeed. If one is wanting to swap out a tubular lock, an Abloy cam lock of similar dimensions would be a great alternative and an improvement (from the perspective of compromising the lock) in almost every case.

Just depends on what threats one is trying to mitigate.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I really like the Ft. Knox handgun safes as they are a good sturdy box (it is a 10ga body with a 3/16" door I think) and I like how the mechanical locks don't rely on a battery.

However, just to be aware, many of the Simplex locks are limited as to possible practical combinations such that a person could work through them all in less than a couple of hours and some models are subject to attack via a rare earth magnet (depending on how they're installed). No particular skill required for either method, just time (to work through combos), or a magnet (quick).

I do recommend them to friends as they're more resistant to brute force than the flimsier boxes on the market and the lock construction is solid (although not bullet proof).

A determined teen in one's house, for example, could work a few combos a day and gain access surreptitiously over a relatively short period of time.

Just something to keep in mind depending on what one's needs/goals are. One has to know the vulnerabilities to know how/what to use for security purposes.

Does your box indicate which Simplex lock model is used?

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Rest assured, Abloy locks are very nice indeed. If one is wanting to swap out a tubular lock, an Abloy cam lock of similar dimensions would be a great alternative and an improvement (from the perspective of compromising the lock) in almost every case.

Just depends on what threats one is trying to mitigate.
    Of course the main vulnerability of any lock is that it is, after all, designed to be opened. I can make any lock pick-proof -- 5 seconds with a TIG welder ought to do it. But then it's not really functional afterwards, is it?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Or Super Glue!

Let me put this in perspective. A 10 year old child can be taught to pick the majority of pin tumbler, wafer, and tumbler locks out there in about 10 minutes.

If that's what you want. Go for it.

Top Bottom