Safe door seal when closed. Gives too much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    this is pretty odd. i had one in our "spare room" and it sat on the carpet. never wanted to ine up or anything and the door was just like this... well i eventually mover it to a solid floor and secured it to the floor. never had any other problems with it. were the ones you looked at sitting on the concrete floor? that's not good!

I think the ones in the Tractor Supply store were still mounted on their thin shipping crate metal. So maybe it's just slight bent or twisted.

But I just stopped in Dicks again, to pick something else up, but decided to go take another look at the safes now that I know how to spot their dial combinations. And I didn't see anything inside of the safe that would allow for adjustments to make the door seal tighter. And those were directly on the floor. Which is a pretty solid floor. But still up on the second level.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Anyone know anything about this safe? [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DHZFM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0058DHZFM&linkCode=as2&tag=briefcasemovi-20[/ame]

Dicks has this on sale this week for $350, plus another $100 off since its on clearance. So I'm 99% sure that it's $250. Which makes it a really good deal. I was looking for the next step up in size, but right now, I think this deal is too good to pass up. I can always upgrade later, when I fill this one.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another question. How have you gotten the safes into your homes? If I get the size that I think I'll need and have space for, I think its going to be around 500lbs I think.

When I ordered my Johnsons Jeff delivered right to my house and put it in for me.

When I ordered my AmSec (4 ft. high pistol safe) I used an "appliance mover" (a big two wheeler/dolly). We picked it up on the south side of Lafayette in a warehouse and then hauled it up to my apartment on the third floor. I pulled, he pushed.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My Liberty safe (FatBoy) has adjustable lockplates in the door frame to limit door free play.

What this guy said. Did you bother to read the owners manual to see if the door had an adjustment? I wonder if there was even one available for you to read. I would check the owners manual first to see if it adjusted. My Liberty Fat Boy adjusted quite nicely.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You will be surprised how quickly they fill up! Best bet is to figure out how many guns you have or need to store in the safe, double it and buy a safe that holds that many firearms...buy once, cry once.

Anyone know anything about this safe? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B0058DHZFM&linkCode=as2&tag=briefcasemovi-20

Dicks has this on sale this week for $350, plus another $100 off since its on clearance. So I'm 99% sure that it's $250. Which makes it a really good deal. I was looking for the next step up in size, but right now, I think this deal is too good to pass up. I can always upgrade later, when I fill this one.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Dang Dicks. The safe is $250. Its a 16 Gun safe, but only for long guns, with 1 single shelf inside. I am wanting an area for long guns, and then shelves on one side. This safe wasn't made to have any other shelves in it.

The Indy 1500 gun show is coming up. Maybe I should talk to the Johnson people.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Another question. How have you gotten the safes into your homes? If I get the size that I think I'll need and have space for, I think its going to be around 500lbs I think.

I used to be able to say that if I can get a hold of it, I can move anything. Well, with my spinal fusion surgery I had about 5 months ago, I probably shouldn't be saying that anymore.

Did anyone one hire a place to move it for you? Or just call up your buddies and offer them a beer or two afterwards?

I rented an appliance dolly from Uhaul and suckered two of my buddies to help. The safe had to go down a flight of stairs, with a landing and turn, to the basement. We took the door off and made the move down in two pieces. The safe body was a beast and took out some anger on my drywall on the way down, but nothing a little spackle can't fix. It was manageable for three guys, but it wasn't a lot of fun.

And just to give you an idea of space...I have 9 long guns in it now; three with scopes, and the safe is damn near at capacity. Luckily I'm holding a few guns for a friend of mine while he travels, so it will be freed up a bit once he gets back.

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    You will be surprised how quickly they fill up! Best bet is to figure out how many guns you have or need to store in the safe, double it and buy a safe that holds that many firearms...buy once, cry once.

I totally agree with this statement. I bought a 24 gun safe thinking that would be plenty of room, but I'm quickly finding out that a 36 or 48 would have been a better idea.

I got my 24 gun Stack On in the basement with the help of a dolly and a good friend. Wasn't fun but it worked out alright.

Top Bottom