Safe door seal when closed. Gives too much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Yesterday I went around to Gander Mt., Tractor Supply, and Dicks to look at safes. Looked at the Liberty ones at Gander Mt. Cannon and Winchester at Tractor Supply. And Stack On at Dicks.

The issue I seemed to be seeing with Cannon, Winchester, and Stack Ons, were that the doors didn't seem to seal completely shut when the pistons were engaged. The door probably moved 1/8in to 1/4 inch while it was supposed to be locked.

To me, this doesn't seem very secure. I believe they were supposed to be rated to withstand 2 feet of water for a pretty lengthy amount of time. But with the door able to wobble that much, it doesn't seem that it would be waterproof.

And this wasn't just one or two. It was pretty much all of them. I talked to the guy at Dicks, and asked him if that was normal, and he said it shouldn't do that. And that no ones ever shook the door whiles its latched, so he had never seen that before. We checked all the ones they had, and sure enough, they all wobbled.

But Gander Mt. was the first place I stopped, but I feel that the ones I looked at there, the doors stayed sealed tightly. But can't remember for sure.

Is this an issue if they all do it? Anyone else notice this as well?

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have a Cannon and a liberty. Both are higher end models and there is no "play" in the door seal after they are locked up. Give Johnson safe a call. They are located north of Indy. I see them at the Indy 1500. quality seems good.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    I just got the Winchester safe from TSC. It's door did exactly what you are talking about. I just ran some window weather stripping around the frame of the door. Solved the movement and I figure it can't hurt to have a little more water-proofing as well.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I just got the Winchester safe from TSC. It's door did exactly what you are talking about. I just ran some window weather stripping around the frame of the door. Solved the movement and I figure it can't hurt to have a little more water-proofing as well.

I could see doing this but I would be afraid of the weather stripping affecting the fire rating.

The only one of my safest that door rattles a lil bit is a liberty. I've heard a lot of good things about Johnson safes, when I'm ready to get a custom safe this is prob who I will be going to. I've been very pleased with the two American Security safes I have.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Another question. How have you gotten the safes into your homes? If I get the size that I think I'll need and have space for, I think its going to be around 500lbs I think.

I used to be able to say that if I can get a hold of it, I can move anything. Well, with my spinal fusion surgery I had about 5 months ago, I probably shouldn't be saying that anymore.

Did anyone one hire a place to move it for you? Or just call up your buddies and offer them a beer or two afterwards?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Another question. How have you gotten the safes into your homes? If I get the size that I think I'll need and have space for, I think its going to be around 500lbs I think.

I used to be able to say that if I can get a hold of it, I can move anything. Well, with my spinal fusion surgery I had about 5 months ago, I probably shouldn't be saying that anymore.

Did anyone one hire a place to move it for you? Or just call up your buddies and offer them a beer or two afterwards?

500 lbs is very manageable with a good dolly and a little help.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana

Two hulking drooling teenagers did the trick for me.
    You could have some damage to your house though...

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Winchester safe adjustment

To eliminate play you need to bend the two metal tabs inside of the door on th rifht side. Keep making small adjustments by bendig them until your door play is eliminated. Did this already on one.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    500 lbs is very manageable with a good dolly and a little help.

Although, after spinal surgery you might want to hire it out, especially if stairs are involved....or not.

Never used 'em to move a safe, but "Two Men & a Truck" used to be happy to do small jobs...it has been a while, though.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    To eliminate play you need to bend the two metal tabs inside of the door on th rifht side. Keep making small adjustments by bendig them until your door play is eliminated. Did this already on one.

Ah! I'll have to try that. And thanks for the weather stripping/seal tips. I'm going to remove it from mine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    It really depends on the door seal.

Most safes are NOT rated for any kind of water exposure becuase this would require some kind of rubber seal and no holes in them.

but most safes are fire rated. What you *think* is the seal is really a special seal that only expands when it gets hot. This way when your safe is in a fire, the seal expands sealing out the smoke, and heat for a rated period of time.

A little play in the safe door is OK, but there are adjusters in a lot of these safes to take out the slop. They are located where the pins engage the door frame usually opposite the hinge side of the door.

Obiward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Fortville
    Cool. Good to know. I was worried that the safes were just poorly made. At least they give you a way to adjust it.

There's a couple of hex-head screws that you can adjust the position of the tabs with, but mine were back as far as they would go. It's pretty thin metal, so you can just bend them into the safe a bit and it works perfectly. It's a damn good safe for the money IMO.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Yesterday I went around to Gander Mt., Tractor Supply, and Dicks to look at safes. Looked at the Liberty ones at Gander Mt. Cannon and Winchester at Tractor Supply. And Stack On at Dicks.

The issue I seemed to be seeing with Cannon, Winchester, and Stack Ons, were that the doors didn't seem to seal completely shut when the pistons were engaged. The door probably moved 1/8in to 1/4 inch while it was supposed to be locked.

To me, this doesn't seem very secure. I believe they were supposed to be rated to withstand 2 feet of water for a pretty lengthy amount of time. But with the door able to wobble that much, it doesn't seem that it would be waterproof.

And this wasn't just one or two. It was pretty much all of them. I talked to the guy at Dicks, and asked him if that was normal, and he said it shouldn't do that. And that no ones ever shook the door whiles its latched, so he had never seen that before. We checked all the ones they had, and sure enough, they all wobbled.

But Gander Mt. was the first place I stopped, but I feel that the ones I looked at there, the doors stayed sealed tightly. But can't remember for sure.

Is this an issue if they all do it? Anyone else notice this as well?

this is pretty odd. i had one in our "spare room" and it sat on the carpet. never wanted to ine up or anything and the door was just like this... well i eventually mover it to a solid floor and secured it to the floor. never had any other problems with it. were the ones you looked at sitting on the concrete floor? that's not good!

Top Bottom