• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    So I'm having trouble deciding between the two. In the next couple of weeks I will be buying one or the other. I've shot both and thoroughly enjoyed them both equally. I will have a budget of, at most $500 - $600. I've never owned an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I am a Glock guy and I do like the compatability factor with the Sub 2000. I also would like to dive head first into the AR world. Since my budget is so low and I'll be learning with this, my first AR, I've read that the M&P Sport 15 is a good start. I've also contemplated buying a complete upper and complete lower and just throwing the AR together myself. But with a budget of $500 - $600...I don't know how possible that really is. I'm not opposed to buying new or used in the INGO classifieds (or even Armslist). I more than likely will not be buying straight from PSA or Gunbroker, etc. I will be doing FTF transactions through private party sales or at a LGS. I know that if I get the Sub 2000 that it will stay in "my arsenal" for a long time...and counter to that I've heard that getting my first AR might create an addiction that won't stop with my starter rifle lol. I'd like to get some advice from camps on one side or the other. Or especially from someone who has both...and/or hypothetically if you had my budget and was to buy either one...which would it be and why? What Say You INGO??? thanks.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If you want to build an AR for ~$600, PSA is the way to go.

$600 is a pretty low budget for buying a complete AR. Might be doable, but I doubt it.

As far as Smith & Wesson vs KelTec?

C'mon, there's only EVER one answer to that question.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I have both and shoot my sub 10x more than my ar. Ammo is cheaper and its just a fun gun to shoot. Mods are minimal, especially if you are already stocked up on g19 or g17 mags. Ive never had a ny reliability issues out of it regardless of what the kel tec want you to believe. Sounds like its closer to your budget but it really depends on what you want. Good luck

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    IF you can find a Sub2k in the same caliber and with the same mags as the handguns you already own for around $400, I'd say go for it. Tbey are a hoot to plink with and are a really handy carbine to have around. I have had mine before they were cool, lol, but I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sport, they'll last longer, easier to work on, and very solid.

As for vs. building your own, at least with the Sport, you'll have a factory warranty.

Right now is the time to buy an AR. Let Kel Tec catch up production, availability, and accessoribility.

Zgreen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I just bought a mp15 and love it so far. A couple of guys I was shooting with Saturday, who has a lot more gun knowledge/experience, were very impressed with all parts of it i.e barrel,trigger , how well it is made and so on.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I vote S&W AR also, better rifle (IMO) and not that bad to shoot. Now is not the time to buy a Kel tec carbine, if you can even find one. You might be surprised how compact an AR carbine is when you take the upper off and sit it next to the lower. :) AR is way easier to modify as well.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I haven't handled a Sub2k, but I went with a friend yesterday so he could pick up his M&P Sporter yesterday evening. It doesn't have the dust cover or forward assist, but it is a very nice entry-level AR.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've heard a lot of folks say that about the forward assist and dust cover.
    but those are cheap. I can buy those almost anywhere.
    well...I'm really really leaning towards the S&W M&P 15 Sport right now guys...:cool::ar15:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I've heard a lot of folks say that about the forward assist and dust cover.
    but those are cheap. I can buy those almost anywhere.
    well...I'm really really leaning towards the S&W M&P 15 Sport right now guys...:cool::ar15:

That is the way I would go, but you will not be able to add a dust cover or forward assist onto it, there is no provision for it on the upper itself.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    So I'm having trouble deciding between the two. In the next couple of weeks I will be buying one or the other. I've shot both and thoroughly enjoyed them both equally. I will have a budget of, at most $500 - $600. I've never owned an AR or a pistol caliber carbine. I am a Glock guy and I do like the compatability factor with the Sub 2000. I also would like to dive head first into the AR world. Since my budget is so low and I'll be learning with this, my first AR, I've read that the M&P Sport 15 is a good start. I've also contemplated buying a complete upper and complete lower and just throwing the AR together myself. But with a budget of $500 - $600...I don't know how possible that really is. I'm not opposed to buying new or used in the INGO classifieds (or even Armslist). I more than likely will not be buying straight from PSA or Gunbroker, etc. I will be doing FTF transactions through private party sales or at a LGS. I know that if I get the Sub 2000 that it will stay in "my arsenal" for a long time...and counter to that I've heard that getting my first AR might create an addiction that won't stop with my starter rifle lol. I'd like to get some advice from camps on one side or the other. Or especially from someone who has both...and/or hypothetically if you had my budget and was to buy either one...which would it be and why? What Say You INGO??? thanks.

Take the best of the Sub-2000 and the best of the AR platform, what do you get...?

Just Right Carbine

Glock mags.
    9mm - cheaper to shoot.
    AR "like" everywhere but the upper.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    ouch. I didn't realize that. not a deal breaker...but still not happy about that

Yeah, but it is entry-level, so if you decide you want those features down the road, you can always pick up a stripped upper and those parts, and rebuild with your M&P barrel, sight post, etc., or just buy another upper assembly that has those features.

That's the great thing about AR's, they are very modular, and parts are easily (relatively) changed out.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would definitely go with the M&P. It's a great AR for the money, and it's not hard to swap out the upper receiver if you decide you need a dust cover / forward assist. I've had both and not only was the Kel Tec unreliable, but I broke the front (plastic) sight off of it. If you want a 9MM carbine, there are many other better options such as an UZI, Beretta Storm, or a 9MM AR. I'll agree that being Glock magazine compatible is a cool feature, but it's not worth dictating which rifle you go with.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    My Frankenstein AR Lower Build:
    Aero precision lower: $75 w/ transfer
    Tactical Superiority LPK $50 shipped
    No Name 6pos Stock $45 shipped
    ----------------
    $170 Total for lower

That leaves you with $330-$430 left to get your dedicated upper.

I will probably get a good scathing, but I have my Frankenstein lower and a full complete Rock River lower through and through and with my Olympic arms 40s&w upper I cannot tell a difference between the two lowers what so ever. But yet, I am plinking at 50yds max. If I was target shooting at 100+yds Then I might see a difference.

I don't have a 223 yet, but do Have a Kel tec sub 2k in 40, with a 32rd glock mag and of course my 40 AR15. No promises, but I might be able to borrow a 556 upper. Where abouts do you live. PM me, might be able to get together and I will let you shoot both. I am pretty selfish of my factory ammo, but if you don't have a problem with reloads in my firearms only, I will donate 1-200rds or so for your shooting pleasure. If I can borrow the 556, you will have to supply the 556 or 223 factory ammo.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom