• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    I'm looking at the Bodyguard but wonder if the laser is more of a gimmick than anything useful. How reliable the laser as far as functionality. I love the look and feel of the gun and would consider it even without the laser.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I believe it is made by insight and is a relatively high quality laser. I played with one for a couple of weeks with no issues. The only thing I didn't like was the infinite and extremely heavy trigger pull. It make my J-frame DA feel light!

Best,

Joe

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    More gimmick than use in my experience. I've owned two different Bodyguard 380s. The first one, the laser quit after 1-2 shots and wouldn't come back on again until I'd disassembled the gun, and removed the laser assembly. After reassembly the laser again worked, but shut off after a couple of rounds again. The second one worked better than the first, but I put no confidence in the unit. The button on both was hard to effectively hit on the draw with the trigger finger, at least for my hand size.

Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    I have been looking at a Shield also. I just like the size of the Bodyguard. But the Shield is definitely higher on my list than a Glock 26 because of it's size.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I use the Bodyguard 380 as my everyday BUG, and it has a lot to recommend it. The laser isn't particularly useful to me because the locations of the buttons aren't the best for quick, positive engagement, but I haven't had any issues with it. Actually the sights on the BG are a step above all the other pocket guns in its class, so using them is just as easy. The trigger pull is long, that is for sure - but I don't mind that on a backup pocket gun. There are some things you need to look for on the Bodyguards to make sure you have one that has benefited from the various "fixes" that were implemented after its launch. I've had a few pass through my hands and the EBBxxxx to EBVxxxx serial numbers are a good range - late enough that the laser buttons and takedown pin issues are resolved, but still with the machined instead of MIM barrel.

Perhaps if they couldn't be found so inexpensively I would have made a different choice - especially with the bunch of 9mm pocket pistols now available - but I have shot mine a LOT (I even shot some pin matches with it, for fun) and I've developed a lot of confidence in it.

Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    I use the Bodyguard 380 as my everyday BUG, and it has a lot to recommend it. The laser isn't particularly useful to me because the locations of the buttons aren't the best for quick, positive engagement, but I haven't had any issues with it. Actually the sights on the BG are a step above all the other pocket guns in its class, so using them is just as easy. The trigger pull is long, that is for sure - but I don't mind that on a backup pocket gun. There are some things you need to look for on the Bodyguards to make sure you have one that has benefited from the various "fixes" that were implemented after its launch. I've had a few pass through my hands and the EBBxxxx to EBVxxxx serial numbers are a good range - late enough that the laser buttons and takedown pin issues are resolved, but still with the machined instead of MIM barrel.

Perhaps if they couldn't be found so inexpensively I would have made a different choice - especially with the bunch of 9mm pocket pistols now available - but I have shot mine a LOT (I even shot some pin matches with it, for fun) and I've developed a lot of confidence in it.
    That's great info, thank you!

bk5777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    bloomington
    Lasers in general steal time away from you. In an emergency situation you draw the gun, aim for center mass and give two taps. Do you really want to screw around looking for a shakey laser beam? Sure, it looks good as the sharp shooter centers in on the bad guys chest and the bad guy has a chance to see the laser which persuades him to drop the weapon. But, in a real life situation, don't use them. It's just another mechanical item that can go wrong in a real life situation.

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    i own a bodyguard as well, tho i haven't shot it a whole lot, it still works fine. Laser needs to be sighted in but works. Tho said before the biggest problem i have with it is the really long trigger pull, i really don't like it but other than that great gun. Very nice for a pocket pistol when the weather gets warm and you wear tighter/less clothing

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have the LCP, my wife went with the BG, and of the two, I wish I had gone with the BG too. The laser is OK, the biggest plus I have found for them is that they do help when teaching someone to shoot, by giving them a visual reference for muzzle awareness. The trigger on the BG isnt really any worse than any other little pocket DA that I have shot, but it does come with some big boy features like last shot hold open, external safety, and actual sights that make it feel more like a gun, rather than a cheep last ditch bullet dispensary. FWIW, I can make solid CM hits with her BG (without the laser) out to about 25 yards, my LCP its more like 10 yards, and even then it can be iffy.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I thought the laser on the body guard would be a nice accessory. The problem is that by the time you draw the weapon and find the little switch and turn the laser on and then pull the trigger that is so long that by the time it fires, I kind of forgotten why I drew in the first place! lol it's not a bad little gun, but the laser is more of a gimmick and the trigger pull is way too long in my opinion.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    the lasar is a gimmick and there triggers suck, buy they do funcion well which is the most important thing, if your looken into getting one i consider them a good gun and there worth the money. i can pick on up for 400 bucks new.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Keep an eye on the screw that holds the cover on the laser batteries it will work loose and the slide will shear it off

2000f350

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    New Castle
    I would have to agree with most of the above.....The laser is cool and very bright (reaches way, way farther than I could hit accurately) but I would not be able to switch it on quick enough for it to be useful if needed in a hurry...

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    For what its worth....
    I've seen 4 of the Bodyguards come through the dept range for qualifications. Two of them have had the lasers break within a year.
    The trigger is long and heavy. But I was able to hit 6 inch steel plates at 20 yrds 6 out of 6 six times repeatedly without the laser.
    With that said, I find the laser more useless than a benefit for most the reasons others have already stated. But I do like the weapon as an off duty backup choice.
    Happy shopping

Stay safe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at the Bodyguard but wonder if the laser is more of a gimmick than anything useful. How reliable the laser as far as functionality. I love the look and feel of the gun and would consider it even without the laser.

I owned the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 and can say I am not a fan! Trigger is very heavy and recoil is huge making the gun hard to shoot and harder to be accurate with, laser or no laser. I know it's concealable, but unless you're in a gunfight in which the bad guy is less than 10 feet away from you, you're taking your chances!

rocker4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    SE
    Its a pocket gun. If that's what you looking for, they are not a bad bang for you buck. I just picked one up, brand new for $350, I thought wasn't too bad so i'd give it a try! Only shot it a few times. Yes long trigger pull, I think that's a safty thing on them. But in the heat of the moment, I guarantee you'd be able to pull it. My fist time shooting it, the clip seemed like it didn't want to stay in. after the cycle it would fall out. Maybe b/c its new or I just didn't snap it in hard enough. but the shots after it stayed in. On the pro side, They fit the hand pretty well for a small gun. I even changed out the little extender on the clip and still fits well. Its light and fits well in a pocket. I'd say if you can run across a deal on one, its worth trying it out, heck I did

Top Bottom