• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If you want a lightweight carry revolver they are fine. I prefer the S&W 642 myself because the internal hammer makes the revolver virtually "snag free." The S&W J-frames have been around a long time for good reason. But, if you are new to J-frames it might take you some practice to become proficient with it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Does any one have any info good or bad?

Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want it to be your target gun at the range for hours and hours, I'd say "sucks".
    If you want it to be your "up close and personal SHTF savior", I'd say "good choice".

They can be not-so-much-fun if that's all you're gonna shoot for hours at the range. About a box through, and I'm DONE. Have you ever shot one?

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I keep going back to J frame smiths for EDC. I prefer the ones with hammers as I like to shoot single action at times. I have a 637 and yes it can hurt the hand if shot alot with hotter loads. But up close it is great and it is not complicated at all to operate, no thoughts, just pull the trigger and BANG !

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    As Jetgirl has said, be honest with yourself about what you intend to use it for and what your expectations for it are.

I have the 642 and it is great for throwing in your pocket or just about anywhere. It small, light and very snag free as Glock10mm pointed out. So it's the same gun without the concern of snagging the hammer which IMHO would be a big factor for a deep concealment gun.

The sites are there purely for aesthetics:D I am somewhat kidding. This is an up close and personal, pull and fire gun. So if your taking it to the range then be sure that you can practice up close. Otherwise your just throwing lead down the range. Yes, you can hit the paper with the sights but shooting at 25 yards is not the intent of the gun and practicing like that is not the most effective way to practice with it.

Again, on the hammer - Consider how much you would be putting this gun in your pocket. You really don't want to be worrying about snagging that hammer going in or coming out. Both could be bad for your health.

I personally have not found that shooting standard 38 out of the gun bad at all. But again, I am not shooting boxes of ammo through it at the range at one time. When you go to +P you will feel it much more and you again won't want to shoot lots of ammo both because of price and your hand.

I like my 642 but I always follow that by saying I like it for the intended use. So I would first advise thinking long and hard about your intent for the gun and see if the J frame revolver is right for you. It may be that a small auto is a better choice. secondly, if you decide the J Frame is right for you, then think long and hard about exposed hammer or internal hammer.

Bottom line - "Is it good or bad"? It is good... If everything else mentioned by the other posters has been thought out. But the gun itself is a fine, fine gun.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want it to be your target gun at the range for hours and hours, I'd say "sucks".
    If you want it to be your "up close and personal SHTF savior", I'd say "good choice".

They can be not-so-much-fun if that's all you're gonna shoot for hours at the range. About a box through, and I'm DONE. Have you ever shot one?

ROFLMAO...perfectly summed up...as always. ;)

TempusFugit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    I carried one daily for a couple years and had added a Waller hammer shroud. The only reason it was retired is that I came across a S&W 37-2 with factory bobbed hammer. It's a great choice.

Top Bottom