• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are a couple different 3rd gen models, let me explain. I would stay away from the ones with the sqaured trigger guards or the stainless/silver triggers/hammers. The squared ones came out first then they revampped the a little. The 3rd Gen with the rounded trigger guards and blued carbon steel triggers and hammers are much more smoother and a little shorter pull double action wise. if that matters to you.

Last edited:

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    it was the first gun i ever owned, i ended up selling it. reliability was meh, i had some malfunctions with the few hundred rounds i put through it. that, i could have worked with, but what i really could not abide was its horrible accuracy. the thing just wasn't accurate, i let other people shoot it and they couldn't shoot it well either. sometimes i regret selling it only because my dad bought it for me but its my fault for choosing such a mediocre gun in the first place, in hindsight i should have gone stainless 1911:(. for $300 i would probably pick one up again, idk what spare parts and customer service is available these days though...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I didn't have a semi auto when I needed to take my skills test for my Texas handgun license. A local store had several S&W 5906 pistols that were trade ins from the local Police. They were all cosmetically rough, but looked to be very solid. The Pistol was very dependable, and I scored 250 for 250 possible at 3, 7 and 15 yards. The examiner could not belive a non custom semi auto could do that and commented that he had not seen a perfect target in more than a year. I think it was accurate enough. How could you go wrong for $300? Buy it.

other guy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    A couple weeks ago I saw one go at auction for $450. It was in excellent conditition, I wish I had an extra $300 right now to buy one. I'm saving my money to get a new Ruger 1911. Almost all my guns I bought used so would like to have one new handgun. I think the 5906 is a really nice looking pistol.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    A couple weeks ago I saw one go at auction for $450. It was in excellent conditition, I wish I had an extra $300 right now to buy one. I'm saving my money to get a new Ruger 1911. Almost all my guns I bought used so would like to have one new handgun. I think the 5906 is a really nice looking pistol.

The one I paid $300 for, I couldn't imagine the kind of condition it would have to be in for $450. It was obviously a LE/security trade.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

You can pay with CREDIT CARD;)

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I went ahead and bought one. Just had a chance to pick it up from my dealer. It's in need of a detail strip and a real good cleaning. The rifling looks excellent once I cleaned out all of the lint. This one has obviously seen a ton of time in the holster. It has the black trigger and hammer, and oh yeah a ridiculously short trigger reset. Now all I have to do is figure out how to disable the magazine disconnect and get rid of the hogues. Those grips make it very wide.

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    how is ordering from them? i have never purchased online.
    CDNN is an excellent place to do business with. They charge a flat rate of $10 for shipping which is both good and bad. Good if you have a lot of stuff to order, bad if you only need one thing. I usually ask some buddies if they need anything and split the shipping with them. Sometimes they offer discounted shipping rates you just have to sign up for their email.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Im a big fan of third gen Smith's ,currently have a 4006 that is a beast & 100% reliable .Now im thinking about adding a 5906 to the collection but the 1500 is coming up ,decisions decisions

Top Bottom