• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Why use the gate to keep them out???? Put a sensor to shut the gate after they pull in.......makes it more intresting that way.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hey........it's my property, which of course is marked with "No Trespassing" signs and since the gate is far enough up the driveway to allow a "lost" person to be able to turn around without tripping the sensor. Meaning to me if you pull up far enough to trip the gate then I either know you, was expecting you, or Lucy has some splainin to do.

Besides........they have plenty of time to figure out how to get out while the Deputies are enroute cause there is never a cop around when you need one.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey........it's my property, which of course is marked with "No Trespassing" signs and since the gate is far enough up the driveway to allow a "lost" person to be able to turn around without tripping the sensor. Meaning to me if you pull up far enough to trip the gate then I either know you, was expecting you, or Lucy has some splainin to do.

Besides........they have plenty of time to figure out how to get out while the Deputies are enroute cause there is never a cop around when you need one.

LMFAO!!! :laugh:

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I use to live back off the road,had a gate.That only stops lazy people.Then you have people sneaking around.I caught one ,once said he was looking for an airplane crash. better off to lave the gate open and put a sensor on the driveway,and invest in IR wireless cameras. there are a few good tricks,wont stop someone,just let you know their coming or have been there.Even take a pic for ya.

I second that. Place a camera where it will get the plate number if they drive down your lane.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would have made an official report. I have lived in the country for most of my life. (36/40 years) These type of things happen more often than people know or think. Out here in the country the issue will be settled long before the police or help arrive. An unloaded gun is just and expensive club. Thankfully this worked out ok.

Being lost is no excuse to drive back a long lane like you describe there are plenty of houses near the road. Private drives are indeed preivate and if someone honestly mistakes one for a road they should not have a drivers license.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot believe, after seven pages of this, that nobody has suggested the best rural home-defense to keep out thieves.
    rottweiler.jpg

And, I'm not even a dog person.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I cannot believe, after seven pages of this, that nobody has suggested the best rural home-defense to keep out thieves.
    rottweiler.jpg

And, I'm not even a dog person.

Lets say someone is trespassing on your property and your dog takes a bite out of him. If your dog was not on a chain, I believe you could get sued bigtime...

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Lets say someone is trespassing on your property and your dog takes a bite out of him. If your dog was not on a chain, I believe you could get sued bigtime...

It's so ridiculous that this even needs to be said. Sadly, those are the times we are living in.

My parent's dogs are two Australian Blue Healers. They are completely harmless, but see and hear EVERYTHING within 300 yards of the house. At that point they start barking and don't stop. They are nice to have around.

In case of SHTF I think I would prefer the maneater, but at this point I'm glad those two are on the job. They kill snakes too. One has been bitten twice by copperheads and lived through both bites. The snakes were not so lucky.

The one thing a gate is good for is that it keeps people's vehicles out. Provided it is built stoutly enough that is.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN

I believe (but I'll have to look it up again) if your yard is fenced and you have up No Trespassing signs and/or Beware of Dog signs, you may be protected from a lawsuit by trespassers in Indiana. i.e. Junk Yard Dogs.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. I'm just stating opinions based on amateur study of law.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I found this in West Lafayette as part of a proposed amendment to a dangerous animal ordinance. Link: West Lafayette, Indiana

However, no animal shall be considered a potentially dangerous animal if injury or damage is inflicted by that animal upon a person or another animal if such person or other animal, at the time such injury or damage was sustained, was committing a criminal trespass upon the premises occupied by the owner or keeper of the animal, or was teasing, tormenting, abusing or assaulting the animal or was committing or attempting to commit a crime.

Top Bottom