Rules/Methods for buying a gun from individual?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    If there is a link for this, please direct me there. I have been on the forums for awhile and have been keeping an eye out for several guns. So far, I have not found what I am looking for, or it gets snapped up too quick.
    The thought popped in my mind today though,
    What is a safe way to travel to another city and purchase a firearm from someone?
    Are there certain rules or customs to follow?
    This may sound like a silly question, but I really do not know. In the past I have usually bought from shops or people I already knew. I have not traveled to another city and met a stranger to buy anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    As long as you stay in Indiana to buy or sell you just need to have the exact amount of cash in hand. You also have to make sure they are also an Indiana resident so peek at the other guy's plates to confirm.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    As long as you stay in Indiana to buy or sell you just need to have the exact amount of cash in hand. You also have to make sure they are also an Indiana resident so peek at the other guy's plates to confirm.
    ^^^This.
    If you are buying from someone on INGO, I like to creep and check their profile here! I get a little peace of mind, if they have transactions and feedback already posted from others. Even if they don't, a decent post count helps peace of mind. Nobody is gonna post 2,000 times, just to meet up with me, and hijack my wallet! (I hope!)
    I might consider asking for ID, LTCH, or bill of sale, if they have neither post count, nor E-trader feedback, depending on what my gut tells me at the meet!

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    Meet in well lit, highly traveled public places. You probably much safer meeting somebody off of ingo then someone off of Craigslist. I've even met in a parking lot next to a police sub station.

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    I would say that common sense is the rule here. If you meet someone in a parking lot trying to sell you a gun for half of it's value while trying to hold their pants up with one hand, I'd probably let that one pass. Get a feel for them through pm's and phone conversation. Just be smart.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Best not to meet in a bank parking lot at least when they are open or any other place that may seem in appropriate to be looking at guns. It is just harder to explain.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    I've never bought/sold a gun from a private party, but this would seem like a good time to take a friend. I think I'd have a friend just stand away from the transaction and silently observe. Of course, given this modern age, would anyone think it out-of-line to have the friend make a video recording of the meeting using a smartphone or other video recording device?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Bring a Friend...

I like to: Buy from an INGO member with good feedback/posts.

Try to locate a friend to "Road Trip"+Good conversation on the drive/lunch etc.

Mostly daytime/daylight deals in large/Wal-Mart type lots.

Ask to see an Indiana Drivers License or State ID., and LTCH if possible?? If no LTCH, ask them if they are a "Proper Person" to do firearms transactions??--Unless they have a DOC # tattooed to their head, then you have done your part!!

Have exact cash+printed copy of deal (Just in case other party does not remember the CORRECT deal offer)??

Do NOT attempt to "Low Ball" the agreed deal, but do not accept a less than offered item.

Thank the member, let them know that you will leave good feedback+ask for the same.

This seems to work for me...Bill.

Last edited:

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I frequently meet for Private FTF sales / trades at my local Gander Mountain parking lot. Bought and traded more guns in their parking lot than from inside the store.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I have made one FTF deal from an INGO member and one from armslist. I used a Marsh and Wal-Mart parking lot, parked way off to the side away from other shoppers. If possible, inspect the firearm inside one of the vehicles. I have a quad-cab truck, but a compact car might not work. Ask to see their DL and use a bill of sale. Better safe than sorry. Some proper folks will not sign a bill of sale. That is their right, but I will not agree to that. I even get bill of sales from friends. What is the harm?

bensaccount

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I've never bought/sold a gun from a private party, but this would seem like a good time to take a friend. I think I'd have a friend just stand away from the transaction and silently observe. Of course, given this modern age, would anyone think it out-of-line to have the friend make a video recording of the meeting using a smartphone or other video recording device?

Im sure people don't want you video taping them without permission...

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am mostly thinking about purchasing, since we all see to like cash. I would assume that both seller and buyer would already be carrying.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Uhmmm, yeah, I would think most folks on INGO and otherwise would think being recorded would be an issue. It would be a no go for me.

I like to: Buy from an INGO member with good feedback/posts.

Try to locate a friend to "Road Trip"+Good conversation on the drive/lunch etc.

Mostly daytime/daylight deals in large/Wal-Mart type lots.

Ask to see an Indiana Drivers License or State ID., and LTCH if possible?? If no LTCH, ask them if they are a "Proper Person" to do firearms transactions??--Unless they have a DOC # tattooed to their head, then you have done your part!!

Have exact cash+printed copy of deal (Just in case other party does not remember the CORRECT deal offer)??

Do NOT attempt to "Low Ball" the agreed deal, but do not accept a less than offered item.

Thank the member, let them know that you will leave good feedback+ask for the same.

This seems to work for me...Bill.

This. I've done a few deals on accessories, ammo, etc and I always have a printout of the deal, and expected exact cash. Being prompt if at all possible, and staying in contact if you are running late for some reason are all good things as well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You only need the cash.
    If you want to see if they are an IN resident, peek at the license plate like stated above, or just ask them.
    Then you can ask them if they can legally own the gun if you want to make sure they are not a criminal.

That's it. No DL no LTCH no bill of sale and no telescope to look up their nose.

I wont sign a Bill of Sale
    I wont show my LTCH
    I would rather not show my ID. but I will if you require it as long as you don't make a copy.
    I also wont show
    My Birth Certificate
    Passport
    Or pull down my pants.

A printed copy of the deal sounds good.
    I would hate to get there and they offer less, or misrepresent the condition and say "Well my ad said..."

bensaccount

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Uhmmm, yeah, I would think most folks on INGO and otherwise would think being recorded would be an issue. It would be a no go for me.

This. I've done a few deals on accessories, ammo, etc and I always have a printout of the deal, and expected exact cash. Being prompt if at all possible, and staying in contact if you are running late for some reason are all good things as well.
    No kidding this guy wants to show with his buddy taping you probobly with commentary. "And now he is opening the rear car door...he appears to be reaching for something" lol. Then he tries to prick you for a blood sample real quick. Come on now

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Just recently I purchased from another INGO member...we met in public McDonalds lot...although not flashing, I did not hide the fact I was carrying as he was as well. I figured I was pretty safe when he showed up in a mini-van and with his two small sons sleeping in their car seats in the back.

Another thing is that we both showed up on time even though there was an hour time difference between our times.

We chatted after the transaction and found him to e a great guy. Emailed him a couple of times afterwards to ask questions other idle and very quickly responded.

Would like to leave REP if someone can explain how, please.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    carrying...I would think so..

I am mostly thinking about purchasing, since we all see to like cash. I would assume that both seller and buyer would already be carrying.

Well--I WOULD think so!!

What would make gun deals any different than any other day of the week, or time of day??HA HA...Bill.

Top Bottom