• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I want to buy a 454 Casul. Has anyone shot both of these revolvers in 454 Casul ? Is there a difference in recoil. What I am looking at is in the Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2 or the Taurus in 6 1/2. I know the porting will make some diference (Taurus). Please let me know what you think. :yesway: or :noway:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What are your plans for the .454?

I have a 9-1/2 SRH. The recoil is severe, probably double the recoil of a .44 Magnum. and a .44 Magnum is probably at least double the recoil of a .45 Colt. Porting would probably help.

I have not shot a Taurus, but I have shot my buddies 5"(?) S&W .500 Magnum which is ported. It does not recoil as bad as my .454 and much less muzzle rise, but still, after two shots of 500gr I didn't want any more.

(See my sighting in thread) Yesterday I took about 8 shots with my 454 and I was done. The time before that it was six.

The most I have ever done was while chronographing some loads was 15 shots, and that was with starting loads, and no I'm not even tempted to load them any higher (300gr @ 1600fps and 240gr @ 1725fps, the 300gr load made a very nice group and low SD and ES, the 240gr load was a bit erratic). I'm currently collecting info to develop a reduced recoil load, like 240-250 gr @ 1300-1400fps or 300gr @ 1200-1300fps -- .44 Mag territory.

You literally have to grip as tightly as you can and force your brain to pull the trigger.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, but just think about why you want a 454. If it's for deer hunting a .45 or .44 will kill them just as dead. If you are wanting to push your deer hunting range out to 100-125 yards, then a carbine in .45 or .44 will do that. If you just want it for the challenge or for the fun of it, then go ahead, it is a fun gun to shoot... until you have to pull the trigger again.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I want to buy a 454 Casul. Has anyone shot both of these revolvers in 454 Casul ? Is there a difference in recoil. What I am looking at is in the Super Redhawk with a 7 1/2 or the Taurus in 6 1/2. I know the porting will make some diference (Taurus). Please let me know what you think. :yesway: or :noway:

I would buy the Ruger, it is built like a tank.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Doug,

Thanks for the links, I had previously read both of them. I also have a 4" Ruger Redhawk in .45 Colt and it will also take the 25k-30k Ruger/TC loads.

Some have said that using the Ruger T/C data in the .454 case is OK, and I have tried to contace the powder companies to see if they can conform it... so far two have replied and I'm going to move foreward with some recommendations for Unique, #9, and 2400 with 255gr LSWC.

The accuracy of the 45 Colt in the SRH suffers a bit from my testing so that's why I'm trying to download the .454.

The problem is that even though there is low-recoil data for the .460 and .500; I have yet to find any published for the .454.

The other "problem" is finding the right bullets... for the .454 you have to use bullets that will hold together in the forcing cone under obturation (sp?) with the high pressures (45k-55k)... not usually a problem in rifles but a huge problem for revolvers.

Right now I am using XTP-MAG bullets. If I get them down to 1200-1300 fps I can probably use the non MAG XTP's, but nobody publishes that data... in .454 cases.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    ruger is allways a good bet. very solid and dependable but I will tell you I have a 5inch taurus 454 raging bull that I love .It is much softer to shoot than other 454's I have had. I dont think you can go wrong either way.

prsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers
    What am I going to use the 454 for?

I like shooting big guns for one thing. I shoot alot, as in 4-5 times a week and more than one kind, such as Trap, Skeet, and Cowboy action.
    Mainly the 454 would be used to shoot hi powered 45 LC that I can't shoot in my Cowboy action SAA's.
    I do go to the mountains alot to camp, as in the Northwest part of US. I have seen many bear and wolves when I didn't want too. A rifle is the best, but not always practicle to carry. The best shot on either is the one you don't have to take.
    I wouln't have one of the new S&W 2 1/2 in barreled as I like to be able to aim at what I shoot.
    I am no beginer with hanguns as I have been shooting them for nearly 50 years. I just like to shoot and have fun. Sometimes that fun is seeing someone shoot your gun once and say"That's too much for me".
    I have shot more than a few thousand of Elmer Keith's load in my 44 Mag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It would seem that the consensus is that Ruger > Taurus....

But what is your price range?

You "could" also consider one of the S&W offerings in .460 (don't think Ruger chambers for this?)

I don't know how prices would compare, but if I were to find a comparable price, I'd go with a S&W for more "versatility". .460 > .454 > .45LC > .45 Schofield.

But, honestly, if all you want is something to shoot hot-rodded .45 LC, why not just a Ruger .45 LC?

-J-

prsavage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Why not the S&W 460 or a Redhawk in 45 LC

If a Smith came along at the right price in 460 in a 5" or better barrel I would get it. That was my first choice. However I do not want to have to spend over $1000 for a handgun.
    If I was going to just buy a 45LC revolver it would be a Colt Anaconda or the S&W N Frame.
    The Ruger Blackhawks and Vaquero's are fine guns. I have owned both. They are just not what I am looking for right now.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Every serious handgunner (and from this it seems like you fit) probably needs one of the super magnums.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I traded for a Raging Bull in 44 mag. It seemed a little top heavy to me too. I was pleasantly surprised after shooting it. I was expecting a massive recoil, (hadn't shot a 44 mag in 15+ years) but between the porting, and the weight, Seemed to kick less than my snub-nose 38!

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I have owned a taurus 44 mag raging bull with a 6 inch barrel. It shoots great with little kick for a 44, but it is heavy. Might suck to hike with that much weight on your side. Does anyone make a lightweight with a 6 inch barrel?

Top Bottom