• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Have you seen these for sale in any shops?
    What about the ammo?

I'm fairly seriously considering one of these as a canoe/woods/truck gun. My thoughts are that it would also work as an adequate BUG. Being a revolver, it would also work to hand off to a friend if SHTF.
    Thoughts?

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Why would you choose this over the .357Mag version? For the additional round? Personally, I'd rather have the .357Mag due to ammo availability and slightly increased power.

Not that I wouldn't like to handle/fire a .327 SP-101.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am also really keeping my eye on the .327. Very intrigued.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    A normal .357 2" Sp101 is on my current list. I have thought about the .327 round but am mostly worried about actually finding the ammo. I might get one, but I know I can get .38 and .357 any time and so far that has weighed most on my decision.

Never even owned a wheel gun before, and the SP101 will hopefully be my first one at some point this year. We will see if I can fine one at a good price and I actually have the money! :):

Hoolio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    I have one

I picked up one of these that came thru my local gun store last March. Ammo followed a month later. It is a real pleasure to shoot. I shot H&R magnums thru it for the first month until I got a hold of some .327 ammo. I can tell you, it is night and day difference between those two rounds. After firing some .327's, I have zero doubt about this gun's stopping power. Those who would assert you might needs two .327 rounds to equal a .357 round in stopping power obviously have not fire this gun.

I have seen a few people cite concerns for ammo availability. Well, if your wanting to shoot 1000's of rounds a year, you might be better off with a more established calibre. But if your like most people who buy a gun for CCW/self defense, your just going to go thru a few boxes of target ammo every now and then and get a single box of hollow points for self defense and NEVER, God willing, have the need to shoot them.

The gun is a lot heavier than airweight revolvers and feels a lot better in the hands than those alloy guns. For me, when I pick up an airweight, I feel like I am holding one of those cap gun toys from childhood. But the all steel SP101 feels like a real gun and is a lot more comfortable to shoot at the range. One good thing about the weight is you can put a S&W Long or an H&R Magnum round in it, give it to a meek little woman whose never fired a pistol, and it will NOT get away from her. Then once your novice shooter becomes comfortable with it, you can put in the .327 rounds to introduce more recoil and more power. It really is a great all around handgun for every responsible member of the house.

I see a lot of people state they rather have a .357 in a 2" barrel. I would suggest shooting both before making a purchase decision. I know several people who, like myself, rather have the 3" barrel for more accuracy and weight. The extra inch simply benefits the gun more than hinders concealability. Another common thing I hear about SP101's chambered in .357 is they get real uncomfortable if you go much higher than 125 grains. So what is the purpose of getting a .357 if your not going to take full advantage of the calibre bullet sizes?

The .327 is a great match for those who want a gun that is concealable, powerful, AND fun to shoot. The extra round outweighs any arguement by its 5 round competitors in my book.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I picked up one of these that came thru my local gun store last March. Ammo followed a month later. It is a real pleasure to shoot. I shot H&R magnums thru it for the first month until I got a hold of some .327 ammo. I can tell you, it is night and day difference between those two rounds. After firing some .327's, I have zero doubt about this gun's stopping power. Those who would assert you might needs two .327 rounds to equal a .357 round in stopping power obviously have not fire this gun.

I have seen a few people cite concerns for ammo availability. Well, if your wanting to shoot 1000's of rounds a year, you might be better off with a more established calibre. But if your like most people who buy a gun for CCW/self defense, your just going to go thru a few boxes of target ammo every now and then and get a single box of hollow points for self defense and NEVER, God willing, have the need to shoot them.

The gun is a lot heavier than airweight revolvers and feels a lot better in the hands than those alloy guns. For me, when I pick up an airweight, I feel like I am holding one of those cap gun toys from childhood. But the all steel SP101 feels like a real gun and is a lot more comfortable to shoot at the range. One good thing about the weight is you can put a S&W Long or an H&R Magnum round in it, give it to a meek little woman whose never fired a pistol, and it will NOT get away from her. Then once your novice shooter becomes comfortable with it, you can put in the .327 rounds to introduce more recoil and more power. It really is a great all around handgun for every responsible member of the house.

I see a lot of people state they rather have a .357 in a 2" barrel. I would suggest shooting both before making a purchase decision. I know several people who, like myself, rather have the 3" barrel for more accuracy and weight. The extra inch simply benefits the gun more than hinders concealability. Another common thing I hear about SP101's chambered in .357 is they get real uncomfortable if you go much higher than 125 grains. So what is the purpose of getting a .357 if your not going to take full advantage of the calibre bullet sizes?

The .327 is a great match for those who want a gun that is concealable, powerful, AND fun to shoot. The extra round outweighs any arguement by its 5 round competitors in my book.
    Hoolio,
    Thank you so much for the review. I do see one of these in my future.

BTW- I see it's your first post. Welcome to the forum!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm holding out for an SA in .327 as well as a leever action.

Ooh, that'd be a sweet combo. Maybe, if Ruger and Marlin got busy on those, there would be a lot more interest in the new cartridge. Sure makes you wonder what kind of accuracy and velocity could be obtained from 6" and 18-20" barrels.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I think it would make a good BUG, or any situation that required noticibly more concealment like shorts and T-Shirt weather, but I wouldn't even start to think about it for a primairy cary weapon or a general purpose gun. I expect to be able to shoot my primairy gun, and any general purpose gun thousands of times a year. They should be accurate enough to go 50 yards. A truck gun in specific should have some serious punch to it.

The extra round argument means nothing to me. In my book this is a close quarters (less than 20 feet) gun, as is any snub nose or short barreled hand gun. If there's more than one bad guy, and you are limited to 5 or 6 rounds, it's best to be looking for an escape route. One bad guy, 5 rounds is enough. If you can't kill him with five rounds, you should have spent more time at the range with it. The way I see it, if our folks overseas don't like the 9mm because it's too small, then anything less has to be a special purpose weapon.

You can take all of this with quite a bit of salt since I perfer the 1911 for just about everything.

Just my 2 bits,
    Mark

Hoolio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    The extra round argument means nothing to me. In my book this is a close quarters (less than 20 feet) gun, as is any snub nose or short barreled hand gun. If there's more than one bad guy, and you are limited to 5 or 6 rounds, it's best to be looking for an escape route. One bad guy, 5 rounds is enough. If you can't kill him with five rounds, you should have spent more time at the range with it.
    Just my 2 bits,
    Mark

It sound more like your making an arguement between gun types rather than cartridge types. The extra round arguement should simply be: "Is having an extra round in the cylinder more/less important to you than the extra power that can be obtained from a .357 cartridge."

I am not sure if the SP101 is chambered in .22, bt if it is, I imagine you could fit, what? 8 rounds in a cylinder of this diameter? Obviously, not many would trade 3 extra rounds of 22 in place of the stopping power of a .357. However, the .327 is so close to a .357, I personally find the extra round to be worth the ever so slight difference in power.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It sound more like your making an arguement between gun types rather than cartridge types. The extra round arguement should simply be: "Is having an extra round in the cylinder more/less important to you than the extra power that can be obtained from a .357 cartridge."
    Don't let the armchair quarterbacks concern you Hoolio. They're just jealous.:):
    Have you had a chance to shoot the .327 any more? I'm curios how accurate at longer distances you can get with it. I think the 3" barrel is an excellent size compromise.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I really like the idea and would really consider one, but I am a bit afraid of the .327 not catching on. The SP101 is just a touch too big for me to pocket carry in the same way that I do an airweight. OWB would work nicely though...

Hoolio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    yep

Yeah I went to the range last weekend and shot 50 rounds at 7 yards and then another 50 rounds at 50 yards. I will admit, I am no expert shot, so I can not really attest to accuracy at long ranges. But I will trust the laws of physics in that a longer barrel = more accuracy.

I agree with Techres that the 3" SP101 is too big for a pocket gun. Not so much as the size but the weight. I bought a SimplyRugged pancake holster for it with the 3rd belt slot to carry as a cross draw if desired and the removeable snap loops to carry inside the waistband if desired. This allows me 3 options of how to carry it.

Out of those 3, I find the crossdraw option to be a bit awkward and the least concealable. If I was going to buy another holster, I might not even bother with the 3rd slot, but I guess having the option is better than not. If your going to buy this holster and plan on spending the extra to get a stamp patern, the holster will look better without the 3rd slot.

Belted to your strong side OWB is the most comfortable carry imo. The size is small enough that a any shirt will conceal it well enough EXCEPT when you have to dig into your pocket. Then, the bottom of the holster becomes visable a little.

Using the IWB loops is, of course, the most concealable. It rides a tad higher than OWB, allowing me to slide it forward to my appendix. I drive a Scion xA. The seat is small and cramped, so being able to move it forward a little to the appendix area allows me to wear it while driving.

Of course, everyone has a different body shape, so carrying is different for everyone.

I am not afraid of the cartridge not catching on. Anyone who shoots it will like it. Hell, ifI knew that this cartridge would go out of production next year, I would still buy this gun and squirrel away some ammo. Its that much fun to shoot!

jim2100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Haven't you found other ammo yet to shot?
    I am considering this gun as my first and only gun. Never owned a gun yet, and I am 66 yrs old.
    Jim
    Gary, In

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Ever hear of the .45GAP? Seen a new one in a gun shop lately?:dunno:

I'd wait a long time to make sure it is here to stay or plan on reloading.

Top Bottom