• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, pretty new to this forum but not new to shooting at all in my young years lol. Anyways, Im going to be buying MY first pistol pretty soon. Always just shot my friends and family members pistols in the past when we go to the range but I have my LTCH now and feel I'm now old enough and mature enough to have the responsibility of carrying a handgun. So I've been looking around for a while and theres tons of guns I love. Would love to spend a couple grand on a custom 1911 but being a college student I feel my loans are best used for college haha. But held a P95 the other day and felt pretty good in the hand. I know they're all but indestructible and are great shooters. I really don't like compacts and sub-compacts in any model, and the price of the P95 just draws me to it every time I think about it. I plan on an OWB holster, probably fobus or something along those lines. I guess my question is do any of you carry one and have any problems doing it? I'm a pretty big guy (6'2" 230) so figured I could pull this gun off pretty easily. What do you guys think? Also, if you think theres another gun in that price range comparable to the P95 feel free to suggest. Thanks!!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    If you are ok with a handgun the size of a civil war era artillery cannon, go for it.

I have one and it has been flawless. I trust it with my life, and my wife's, everyday.

I'm only 5'5" and 170 and I handle it just fine.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    For not much more you can get yourself a nice SR9 by ruger. Slimmer and much easier on the sides than the P95. I hauled one around for a while when in alaska. I much prefer the slimmer profile of the SR9. Budsgunshop.com has the SR9 for a little over 400. might also find it near you at a local Gunstore for about same? so maybe 50 bucks difference and the heavy 95 will wear on you after a while.
    just my rambling. go with what feels best to you.
    Im also a big guy. 6'1 275. fits me well.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    As long as you don't think it's too big and bulky for your carry needs, I don't think you can go wrong with it, particularly for the price. I'd skip the fobus and spend a little more money on a Blackhawk SERPA or Safariland holster. Well worth the extra few dollars. Check out opticsplanet.com as they normally have decent prices on those holsters.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, thank you for the quick replies. And as I wont be carrying every moment of the day and probably some days wont carry at all because of school and sports, I feel that carrying it for a few hours at a time it will be do-able. And really, I don't think its a bad looking gun at all. Hopefully I'll be able to pick one up fairly soon!!

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    The Ruger P95 is one of the very best bargains in the pistol world. Reliable, combat accurate and priced right, this is a can't miss handgun.

If you are considering the 1911 platform, for $400, the Rock Island Armory GI model is, imo, the best bang for your buck. It's Heavier, has lower ammo capacity and requires practice with the order of arms, however, it uses a 45 caliber round and shoots with "feeling".

Either way, you won't go wrong. If you like the DA/SA format, the Ruger will be great. It's not TOO big to carry at all, it is bulky, but not terrible.

I carry a full size 1911 in a Crossbreed supertuck and it's pretty comfy due to the slim profile. It is heavy, so a good belt is essential.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My P95 DC was my second handgun I ever bought and with the right holster it would be OK for EDC while it's not the smallest gun out there I carried mine alot and still do. Found a used Brauer Brothers thumb break holster with and FBI Cant that is just Ideal for CC love it! And while they aren't the most elegant handgun out there they are very reliable and for big guys I think they are just fine. I'm a former big guy, down to 254 from 303.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    You've made a fine choice as it's hard to beat Ruger products for the money. My first pistol was a Ruger that I'm still shooting today. I wouldn't worry to much about carrying it; after 2 -3 weeks, you'll never even know it's there. Don't overlook a good heavy belt to go with the holster as I believe it's just as important as a good holster in keeping your gun from flopping around. Good luck, good shooting!
    :twocents:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    P95 was my first handgun and I still own it. Built like a tank and reliable as hell! It can be a bit bulky to some for EDC, but to others it is no issue. I will admit it is no longer a carry option for me anymore as I have other handguns that suit me much better for carrying, but it is without a doubt still an excellent handgun and will serve you well.

I would suggest getting out there and handling as many makes and models as you can in your price range and see what you think. I hate to see people spend their hard earned money on a gun and then it not work out for them and they never end up carrying it. Doesn't do you any good when you need it if it is sitting at home on the nightstand.

A few others in that price range are:

KelTec pf9 (small and lightweight, but DAO so it will have a harder trigger pull that some shooters do not like)

Ruger sr9 and sr9c
    Ruger lc9
    Taurus 709

and if there is any way to add some cash you could look into used Glocks, Springfield XD series, or S&W m&p series

Good luck with your decision.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Ruger P95 is a great gun. Like others have said can be a little bulky but built rock solid. My brother has the P95 and like it so much he went out and bought the P345 (the .45 version) :D.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Ruger P95 as you seem to know is large and built like a tank. You can still carry it concealed in the small of your back or a shoulder rig. It is accurate and reliable and cheap. I keep mine for a shtf pistol. Don't really think you can do better.

Top Bottom