• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Looking at getting a semi-auto 22 plinker. Interested in either the Ruger SR22 or the Walther P22. Is there a major difference in reliability or accuracy between the two? Or anything else I should be concerned with?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Don't know. I've shot 5 different ones and none were mine. All were ammo finicky and not even with the same ammo. One loved Remington bulk but not CCI, another would only function well with Mini Mags, etc. it's a matter of finding what works well in YOUR gun.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I researched both quite extensively and found that everyone I heard opinions from (online and in person) who had experience with both, picked the Ruger. Every single one.

What I heard frequently was about the Ruger being more reliable, more robust and taking a wider variety of ammo. Personally, I hated the P22 mag release as part of the trigger guard. Also, it did not fit my hand as well. The Ruger also has interchangeable grips to fit hands of different sizes. I wasn't a fan of the Ruger "down for de-cock and safe, up to fire". Other than that, I liked everything about the Ruger.

...then I bought an M&P 22. I won't say it's better than the Ruger (2 extra rounds in the magazine is "better"), it's just better for what I want it for.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    My wife has the Walther .22, and yes, we encounter frequent failures, but the .22 is dirty and it gums up the works fast in this gun. We've got < 500 rds through it, and have only tried two ammo brands thus far. The lead bulk Federal is worse than the Winchester Super-X plated. Have yet to try CCI.

I've got no experience with the Ruger, but it was the other choice we looked at for her. Looking back and reading the above, we might have been better served to try it, if for no other reason than it was quite a bit cheaper as well.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I had a P22 3.5" until recently. I traded it for a shotgun as it sucked for rim fire matches. I don't know if the target model of the P22 will make a difference or not. As for ammo, I put federal bulk through and had very few failures and only cleaned it twice (about 500-600 rounds through when I traded it). If I get another .22 handgun for rim fire matches I am buying a Ruger 22/45. When I go to rim fire matches, I seen two P22's all together the few times I was there and many many many Ruger 22/45 (MKII and MKIII's).

I should add that the P22's were always in the lower part of the results and the Rugers were up there.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    My P22 is very accurate, it has failed to fire a few times, but i blame the ammunition, but i would still go with the Ruger, they are one of my preferred brands.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    +1 Ruger SR22. Got one and I love it. Works with every brand of ammo I've tried so far.

The Walther P22 would be a good choice if you want to work on malfunction clearance drills...:twocents:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Thanks guys, looks like Ruger is the winner. I love my LCP, so I have no problems with that... what I DO have a problem with is now HoughMade has me thinking about the M&P22.... thanks for throwing THAT wrench into the works. I carry an M&P40c, so maybe that would be a better

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I carry an M&P 9c, so that played heavily in my decision. I will say, the M&P 22 is usually more expensive, is larger than the SR 22 (same size as a full sized M&P 9) and is no more accurate than the SR 22. I really like it, but if you do not plan on using the .22 as a training aid, the SR 22 is probably the better choice due to price.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I carry an M&P 9c, so that played heavily in my decision. I will say, the M&P 22 is usually more expensive, is larger than the SR 22 (same size as a full sized M&P 9) and is no more accurate than the SR 22. I really like it, but if you do not plan on using the .22 as a training aid, the SR 22 is probably the better choice due to price.

Yeah, but if you're gonna get one, might as well get the one that helps you get better with your EDC too... dangit!!! :): I dont know. I may just get the Ruger now as a cheap plinker and get the M&P later

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I had the Walther the first year it came out. I did not like it and it also did not function well at all. The slide coming back over the hammer created too much resistance for proper function. I like the ruger much better.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    What a cool site input like this saves everyone money and makes purchase decision more informed hearing other experiences

TR1032

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Johnson County
    My SR22 has worked with any ammo I put through it, even a few old boxes of Winchester Wildcat. I've not fired one, but have heard the Walther can be ammo sensitive.

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    MP22

I have had the P22 and sold it. Now my EDC is a MP9 and the MP22 is perfect for a trainer gun no FTF or FTE surpressed or unsupressed around 3000 rounds just a quick wipe down. I vote MP22.

Top Bottom