• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Visited shooting range last weekend to shoot. I had some work done by gunsmith on 9mm (extractor) and it is not working great. Now I am having similar problem with Ruger Mark ii. Casings are not being ejected properly about 1 every 10 rounds. I was using a new box of Federal AutoMatch Target Grade Performance Ammo.
    Federal Auto Match Target 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain LRN Ammo

I don't recall have any issues with pistol in the past. Could it be the ammo? Do you think it's the pistol (extractor like my 9mm)?

Your feedback is appreciated. :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It should work with federal auto match well. If i remember it is for semi autos.

CCI Standard vel and high vel CCI mini mags are my go to rounds in semi autos for function testing. Normally I would ask you to try the mini mags but right now you would be lucky to find them.

I have many thousands of rounds of ammo in my mark II government. At one time I go a bad mag in a trade deal and it would stovepipe. I finally marked my mags with tape and a number and found that number 4 did not feed rounds well.

baglorious

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    NW IN
    I don't have a ton of experience... but I do own several Mark IIs.. (And used to own more of them... *sniff*)

There were, from time to time... particular kinds of ammo that I'd have problem with. It wasn't consistent from gun to gun. Might just be the tolerances being slightly different on each gun, and binding (in one way or other) with a particular flavor of ammo each gun didn't like.

I ultimately ended up going with volquartsen extractors for all my MK IIs... a cheap part, and cleaned up all extraction problems. Once I did it on one gun, I just did it across the board. (Of course... once you start tinkering, you won't stop.)

If you have only one MkII... I'd recommend tinkering! Read some posts or google-search volquartsen parts. I can't remember exactly... but there are only a few that really make a noticeable improvement. To my recollection... extractor, sear, and perhaps the adjustable trigger if you want to get nutty. (Some of the other parts... hammer, etc., don't end up doing much.)

Anyway, my recommendation: Research volquartsen trigger components. Figure it out before you buy... then go for it. Easy enough, even if you've never modded a gun.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Marriot: Thanks for the suggestion. My buddy told me the mags could be finicky.
    stewrat: I cleaned it. Should have been good, but I can check and possibly clean again.
    glorious: Thanks for the info. I feel like it's an extractor issue. That was precisely what was going on with my Model 59 9mm. I had a gunsmith replace it. Do you think that is something I can replace on my own? I am somewhat of a novice.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    The only time I have had trouble with my Mark II was shooting some old Remington ammo that I bought at an auction. It was definitely old stuff. I think a lot of the brass just oxidizes over time and just gets a little cruddy. Try some new stuff, if you can find it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My Rugers run on about anything even sub-sonic. They do like to be clean but a buddy cleans his about every 500/600 rds.
    Try some mini-mags.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Ok. I got the owners manual online. Here's what it has to say:

TO MINIMIZE MALFUNCTIONS (“JAMS”)

1. If it appears that the gun and magazine are not at fault and that the jam was caused by the type of cartridge being used, then try another type.

2. If changing to another type or brand of cartridges does not at once eliminate malfunctions, then the following steps should be taken:

a. Make certain the gun and the magazine are unloaded and that the safety is “on” (S). Remember, the magazine should be removed first, then check the chamber and be certain it and the magazine-well are clear of cartridges.

b. Thoroughly clean the magazine and bolt mechanism, paying particular attention to removing accumulated grease. Use a bristle brush and solvent to remove grease and fouling from the bolt face, the extractor, the chamber, and the feed ramp. (See the “Care and Cleaning” section of this manual for detailed cleaning instructions.)

c. Check to see that the magazine spring tension is adequate.

d. Check the magazine lips to be certain they are free of nicks and burrs and are not deformed.

e. Remove excess oil and solvent from all cleaned components, load the magazine, and try the firearm again. As always, proceed slowly. Be certain bystanders are not close and that you are wearing eye and hearing protection and that your face is a safe distance from the pistol so that any discharge resulting from a jammed cartridge will not injure anyone.

If the above procedures do not result in a smooth and reliably functioning firearm, don’t use the gun. The pistol can be returned directly to our Prescott Product Service Department for repair. See the Service and Parts Policy section of this manual for packing and shipping information.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Church, do you know a current fair price on these?

There are many variants such as stainless 22/45 and other things as to how many mags are included or optics.
    I am looking at them new around $390 to $425.
    Used.....there was a stainless hunter listed with optic and spare mags for $425 in the classifieds. I tried but missed that one.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    The VQ extractor swap is easy and cheap and will make a difference for sure.

Here is the part you need:
    Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor Ruger 10/22 10/22 Mag Mark II Mark

Here is how you make the swap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQLrSG3MM_U

Hope it helps and good luck...

-Drew

Drew,

Thank you for the follow up and video post. That does look like something I can handle. I took the pistol apart this morning and re-cleaned it. I checked the mags too. It did look a little dirty. I have been told that I have over-oiled another 1 of my pistols. So I tried to do a "cleaner job" this time. We will see how things go next time I'm at the range.

Again thank you for the post.

Top Bottom