• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Anyone picked one up? Looking for opinions, I'm considering an LCR, but the LCP seems like a good idea as it's .38 special +P

Just curious what you "bug" carriers think about these two little pistols.

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    Anyone picked one up? Looking for opinions, I'm considering an LCR, but the LCP seems like a good idea as it's .38 special +P

Just curious what you "bug" carriers think about these two little pistols.

If I am not mistaken, the LCP is a .380 not a .38spl

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The LCP is a fantastic pocket gun. Great for it's intended purpose - a BUG, "quick trip to the store" gun or simply deep concealment (such as wallet style holster). I had one and loved it for those reasons.

Having said that everytime I went to the range it sat on the shelf all lonely. I'd maybe shoot 20 rounds per trip through it. Might have been the worst gun I'd ever shot. Only being able to fit two fingers on the grip kinda bothers me. And yeah, I know about the finger extension. But I think the grip extension defeats the purpose of buying a small gun. It was way too jumpy. Reliability was awesome though - no FTE's, FTF's or anything.

I did get a chance to shoot 50 rounds through an LCR - Loved it; felt good to hold and I was quite accurate with it.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    My dad recently got two of them, one with the crimson trace lazer and one without it. They both feel really good in the hands and its crazy how light they are, not sure how that will effect recoil though. I haven't got around shooting them yet but im planning on doing it sometime this weekend.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Can you compare it to anything else you've shot? I held one in the shop and I wanted to buy it, but I've never fired one before.

If you're asking me, I'll compare it for you.

I have a Smith .357 that weighs 22.5 ounces
    An EAA Windicator .38 special that weighs 28.8 ounces
    A Taurus .357 that weighs 24 oz.

In my case, compared with these others, the heavier the gun, the better the recoil.

The EAA is a freaking tank, and the recoil is incredibly light. As it relates to this discussion and the OP, this is my favorite of my revolvers. I feel like I could throw it off a 2 story building, pick it up, throw more ammo in it and it would fire.

The Smith and Taurus are middle of the road as far as recoil. Shooting a .357 (or a .38) you're gonna have recoil; there's no way around it.

The LCR had plenty of recoil, IMO, but you're talking about a 13.5 ounce revolver. I've said the same thing with the LCP; when you get down to it, if you need it in self defense, you're not gonna give a damn about recoil. You're gonna shoot and your adrenaline won't even notice the recoil.

The only thing I don't like is the DAO. When I'm at the range, I prefer to "cock the hammer" first. This isn't an option on the LCR. I will say this though, the trigger pull on the LCR is nothing compared to having to pull the trigger on the other 3 in double action 'mode'

My advice is that if you want it for carry, and it felt good; buy it.

mercvrivs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Washington State
    I have an Inox Tomcat 32 for my pocket gun. It's heavier than a lot of them, but frankly this makes it more comfortable to shoot. Most of the lighter pocket guns just don't work for me. Of course, my G17 will always be with me so the pocket gun is really meant to just stay in my pocket, but at least I can practice with it with decent comfortability.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I got to shoot my Kel Tec P32 today. Man, that thing is smooth and far less kick than the P11 (9mm). If you want smaller than LCP, get a P32. I just keep it in my pocket and it's ready to go. I would like to see the LCP in person. Perhaps at the Indy1500?

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I posted this on another forum--some of the points refer back to ptrevious posts on that forum, but I'll repost it here:

I got an LCR a couple weeks ago and I have to say--I'm impressed. I've shot and carried all manner of pocket guns from Seecamps to Walthers, Kahrs to Kel-Tecs, but I've always gone back to my S&W 642 because of its inherant reliability and easy portability. It just seems like all of the tiny semis eventually have issues, if not with design, at least with variations in ammo, and in today’s market your ammo of choice may just be whatever you can find available.

The fit and finish of the LCR was better than I was expecting and the appearance, while unconventional, is certainly not offensive to me. I like the appearance a lot more than some of the new high-end revolvers from S&W. The weight is 13.5 oz. with the Hogue grips, but only 13 oz. with the Crimson Trace laser grips. The poster who wondered why the LCR weighs more than the S&W 340 when it is made out of polymer, aluminum, and stainless steel might want to check to see what the 340 is made of... If I remember correctly the 340 has no major steel parts, but has a titanium barrel and cylinder and a scandium frame, almost doubling the price for a 1 oz. weight savings. The LCR is also a bit larger than the J frames in the area of the trigger guard.

I remember in the 80's how everyone believed that Glocks would never sell because a polymer frame just couldn't hold up to the hard use that a metal frame could. Well, just about everyone now is making polymer frame pistols. The new polymers are effectively stronger than anything else in the same weight range, having a degree of flex that withstands stresses that fracture the harder (and thus more brittle) metals of similar weight. This has been shown in frame cracking with aluminum frame guns that shoot high pressure ammo.

The sights on the LCR are superior to any of the sights on my J-frames. Of course, some of the newer S&W J-frames have nice high visibility front sights, but I believe they are only on the costliest of the bunch and only on the newer models that also have the infernal/internal lock. All of my J-frames (342, 442, 640, 642, 940) are older models without the lock. That also means that all of their front sights are integral with the barrel and adding a high visibility front sight would be both expensive and problematic. The LCR has a pinned front sight which can easily be replaced with the XS Big Dot front sight that should be available later this month.

And the trigger! I think that is what initially sold me on the LCR. Never have I used a DA trigger as smooth as this one. I've had the triggers on my 640 and my 642 reworked by some of the best gunsmiths in the business, but the LCR's cam-action trigger beats them right out of the box. My 442 breaks at 18 lbs. and my 940 at 20 lbs. The two J-frames that have been reworked break at about 10 and 12 lbs. The LCR breaks at about 10 lbs. without replacing any springs or paying any gunsmith. The trigger is basically a 2-stage, but it doesn't stack like the S&W triggers do. It feels a lot like my vintage Colt Cobra that has had thousands of rounds put through it. And it shows at the range. The groups with my LCR are smaller than the groups with any of my J-frames.

Availability of accessories such as holsters and speed loaders--S&W J-frames will likely always have the edge here since everyone makes holsters and accessories for them. I've tried the HKS 36 speed loader and it works--sort of--but instead of speed loaders I use Bianchi Speed Strips. Some reviewers have said that the LCR will fit in J-frame holsters, but not in any that are form-fit. The trigger guard on the LCR is larger and keeps it from fitting most of them. The LCR will fit in some of the more generic holsters like the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster that I use, and many of the custom holster makers are now listing the LCR among the guns for which they make holsters.

I'm not selling any of my J-frames, but right now they're sitting in my safe and the LCR is in my pocket. I'm now an LCR believer. :yesway:

Last edited:

eliteimagery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Elkhart, IN
    If you're asking me, I'll compare it for you.

I have a Smith .357 that weighs 22.5 ounces
    An EAA Windicator .38 special that weighs 28.8 ounces
    A Taurus .357 that weighs 24 oz.

In my case, compared with these others, the heavier the gun, the better the recoil.

The EAA is a freaking tank, and the recoil is incredibly light. As it relates to this discussion and the OP, this is my favorite of my revolvers. I feel like I could throw it off a 2 story building, pick it up, throw more ammo in it and it would fire.

The Smith and Taurus are middle of the road as far as recoil. Shooting a .357 (or a .38) you're gonna have recoil; there's no way around it.

The LCR had plenty of recoil, IMO, but you're talking about a 13.5 ounce revolver. I've said the same thing with the LCP; when you get down to it, if you need it in self defense, you're not gonna give a damn about recoil. You're gonna shoot and your adrenaline won't even notice the recoil.

The only thing I don't like is the DAO. When I'm at the range, I prefer to "cock the hammer" first. This isn't an option on the LCR. I will say this though, the trigger pull on the LCR is nothing compared to having to pull the trigger on the other 3 in double action 'mode'

My advice is that if you want it for carry, and it felt good; buy it.
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll consider it for a backup carry. I decided to go with a Smith & Wesson Sigma .40 cal. It has a good weight, balance, and grip for me and I like the 14 round capacity.

Top Bottom