• ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Holsters for the LCR?

I just got a Don Hume JIT Slide holster [#52] made for the SP-101 and the LCR fits in it like it was made for it.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Depends on the situation: The LCR is good for protection up to 7 yards in good light. Beyond that distance, or in the dark, it is point and hope because of the sights. A Crimson Trace would help both of these issues. The LCR (IMO) isn't fun to shoot 50 rounds or more at the range. After 10 rounds I found it painful to shoot. But if I need 7 rounds to protect myself - I'd carry it. The purpose for this gun is close defense and the ability to conceal the weapon. If that is your need for the gun - it is a good choice.

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    It took me a while, but I was finally able to find one. Went through a box of 50 at the range with no problems. Didn't go past the 7 yds line, but keep everything center mass and a few head shots.

100_2340.jpg

Though just heard of a possible recall while at a local gun shop. Anyone heard about it? I check the Ruger web site and couldn't not find any information.

A. Ramon

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The LCP 380 pistol had a recall. The two get confused since the names are so close. Haven't heard about any recalls with the LCR.

Probably not as likely since revolvers behave differently internally than pistols. Less chance of a mechanical gremlin popping up in the works.

bordhed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    indy
    I posted this on another forum--some of the points refer back to ptrevious posts on that forum, but I'll repost it here:

I got an LCR a couple weeks ago and I have to say--I'm impressed. I've shot and carried all manner of pocket guns from Seecamps to Walthers, Kahrs to Kel-Tecs, but I've always gone back to my S&W 642 because of its inherant reliability and easy portability. It just seems like all of the tiny semis eventually have issues, if not with design, at least with variations in ammo, and in today’s market your ammo of choice may just be whatever you can find available.

The fit and finish of the LCR was better than I was expecting and the appearance, while unconventional, is certainly not offensive to me. I like the appearance a lot more than some of the new high-end revolvers from S&W. The weight is 13.5 oz. with the Hogue grips, but only 13 oz. with the Crimson Trace laser grips. The poster who wondered why the LCR weighs more than the S&W 340 when it is made out of polymer, aluminum, and stainless steel might want to check to see what the 340 is made of... If I remember correctly the 340 has no major steel parts, but has a titanium barrel and cylinder and a scandium frame, almost doubling the price for a 1 oz. weight savings. The LCR is also a bit larger than the J frames in the area of the trigger guard.

I remember in the 80's how everyone believed that Glocks would never sell because a polymer frame just couldn't hold up to the hard use that a metal frame could. Well, just about everyone now is making polymer frame pistols. The new polymers are effectively stronger than anything else in the same weight range, having a degree of flex that withstands stresses that fracture the harder (and thus more brittle) metals of similar weight. This has been shown in frame cracking with aluminum frame guns that shoot high pressure ammo.

The sights on the LCR are superior to any of the sights on my J-frames. Of course, some of the newer S&W J-frames have nice high visibility front sights, but I believe they are only on the costliest of the bunch and only on the newer models that also have the infernal/internal lock. All of my J-frames (342, 442, 640, 642, 940) are older models without the lock. That also means that all of their front sights are integral with the barrel and adding a high visibility front sight would be both expensive and problematic. The LCR has a pinned front sight which can easily be replaced with the XS Big Dot front sight that should be available later this month.

And the trigger! I think that is what initially sold me on the LCR. Never have I used a DA trigger as smooth as this one. I've had the triggers on my 640 and my 642 reworked by some of the best gunsmiths in the business, but the LCR's cam-action trigger beats them right out of the box. My 442 breaks at 18 lbs. and my 940 at 20 lbs. The two J-frames that have been reworked break at about 10 and 12 lbs. The LCR breaks at about 10 lbs. without replacing any springs or paying any gunsmith. The trigger is basically a 2-stage, but it doesn't stack like the S&W triggers do. It feels a lot like my vintage Colt Cobra that has had thousands of rounds put through it. And it shows at the range. The groups with my LCR are smaller than the groups with any of my J-frames.

Availability of accessories such as holsters and speed loaders--S&W J-frames will likely always have the edge here since everyone makes holsters and accessories for them. I've tried the HKS 36 speed loader and it works--sort of--but instead of speed loaders I use Bianchi Speed Strips. Some reviewers have said that the LCR will fit in J-frame holsters, but not in any that are form-fit. The trigger guard on the LCR is larger and keeps it from fitting most of them. The LCR will fit in some of the more generic holsters like the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster that I use, and many of the custom holster makers are now listing the LCR among the guns for which they make holsters.

I'm not selling any of my J-frames, but right now they're sitting in my safe and the LCR is in my pocket. I'm now an LCR believer. :yesway:
    thanks for the input! great post

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    Thanks for this thread. My Boss likes to talk to me about firearms and likes to ask my advice some times. Currently he is looking for a carry gun for his daughter. He was talking about a lady Smith but I mentioned the LCR also. This post has helped. Any thought about the LCR vs Lady Smith?

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    Havent shot the Lcr yet but have held one feels pretty decent to me and a better trigger than other Rugers without any work done to them. Just doesnt seem like it could really be a Ruger being that light!

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I'll be getting one of these. Not really for a pocket gun, I've got that covered with a Kahr PM45. I want it for an ankle gun. Weight is everything when carrying an ankle gun. I've tried a J frame Airweight, and just don't like the annoyingly harsh recoil and the heavy trigger. I can live without the internal lock, as well. Everything I've read on the LCR says that the trigger is very smooth and light for a snubby revolver, and the recoil is not as harsh due to the polymer frame and nicely designed grip. Better sights, too.

Glad to see Ruger become a player in the CCW market. Now where is that SR-45 at? :)

bigbird1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    just in case anyone wants a LCP or LCR, Jerrys in Rensselaer had both on Sat of this week, the LCP was 289- not sure of the LCR hope this helps someone I already own the LCP and love it.

Top Bottom