• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Does anyone know a gunsmith that specializes in ruger 44 carbines? I bought it years ago on a whim. It has been a safe queen for years due to jamming. It would fire one shot and and then jam. It would eject the spent cartrige. Recently I made it a point to try to figure it out. I took the whole thing down. Including the gas port area. Cleaned it throughout. It cycled better with three in a row as opposed to a singleshot. It remains inconsistent with 2 and 3 shot cycles. I think the problem is in the cartridge being in position when the bolt comes forward. I can't hand cycle the rounds easy. It is tube fed so a bad mag is out. Bad tube? I am using 240 grain federals. I have conceded that it may be beyond my abilities. Has anyone had similar difficulties and fixed it. Parts are getting scarce for these weapons so I would like to fix it sooner than later. thanks

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    It is a lost cause, pack it up and send it to me:)

What part of the State are you in? If South, there is a guy in Mitchell. Let me know and I will send you his number.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Might sound weird and you have most likely already done this but make sure you have the front barrel band tightened. Sounds weird but the tube mag needs that tight.

You have one of the older versions. Made before 1974, look at part number c-67 and c-60 as these washers can erode and cause problems.

Second get one box of winchester white box ammo 240 JSP I call it the CCI mini Mag of the 44 mag lineup. If the gun does not funtion with this ammo it is not the ammo as a problem. Federal 240's?? If not a jacketed bullet wil be problematic with any of the ruger carbines, They were made for jacketed bullets.

If you don't have it already here is the breakdown and manual.
    https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/44MagCarbine.pdf

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Thanks guys, I will take it down again. The barrel band is something new. Previously, I cleaned it so the piston can be heard thudding when I turn the carbine up and down. I will run some different ammo also. Thanks for the tips. Maybe I will send a buck peacefully to the light with my bow and take the burden off the carbine.

Top Bottom