• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger 10/22 tomorrow. I've seen in the classifieds some ask if the ruger for sale is a "heavy barrel". Are all ruger's made the same other than stainless and blued now or is there a more advanced version? It seems to be the best 22 rifle out there when it comes to quality and add-ons...

Sorry in advance, i'm sure this is already covered in other threads but i cant find them.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    check out sturm ruger website, there are a blue million different versions. or...if you really like 10/22s checkout rimfire central website and build whatever you like. plenty of good info over there.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The initial rifle barrel is a tad light and though the rifle is great out of the box when fired target acquisition takes a few seconds due to recoil. That isn't the case with the heavier barrel, since what recoil is felt is absorbed in the heavier barrel.

The last retool of the weapon saw more plastic used in it's manufacture. Earlier versions make for durable first rifles for younger shooters because of its size.

Last edited:

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are lots of variations from the factory or their "exclusive distributors". I like the older versions that incorporate metal trigger groups, however, some say that the new composite (plastic) trigger groups may be even more durable that the old metal ones...who knows for sure? Either way, I'd look for a basic used or new rifle at a fair price and customize it to any conceivable configuration...the options are truly endless.

klabere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    North Liberty
    Recently purchased a new "plain jane" 10/22. Definitely felt a little more plasticy than my father-in-laws older one, but I was not let down. I added a vented barrel cover and slip on muzzle break, gives it more of a carbine feel. I did have some issues with butler creeks 25rnd mags, but loads perfectly with the factory mag. Very fun plinker!

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    the new plastic is more durable, ruger did tests to prove it... there's videos of it somewhere... most important thing to do in my opinion on a new 10/22 is a trigger job.. the customization options are endless

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    thanks guys, just picked one up, not at cabelas btw.

cant wait to shoot it, the plastic bag it came in smelled worse than climbing inside a 3 week old dead animal but other than that it looked pretty good. time to pop off some rounds :ar15: then accessorize!

Top Bottom