• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Romney proposes $500 billion in cuts by 2016 – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

So can he do it? He seems to think it would be possible. Certainly he couldn't do it if he can't get the votes in congress.

The ONE thing I like about Romney (other than I know he was actually born in the USA :D) is that he is from the business world. He understands the ledgers better than anyone, if he actually wants to--he might actually be able to get our house in order. Like it or not, he appears to be moving toward the (R) nod and with any luck whoever the (R) is they will beat Barry back.

Oh well, one can dream...

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    All politicians say they can do one thing or another when running for president. They change their tune quickly when they get into office. I believe it was JFK who was sworn in and went through a series of briefings who said "Oh my God, I had no idea". I think that would sum up the job of being president for most people.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    $500 billion isn't even a good start. If the word trillion had come out his mouth then that might be something worth discussing. He's not even trying.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    $100B a year. We'll only be borrowing $.37 of every dollar we spend. If this is supposed to be a woo hoo moment I'm underwhelmed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Right because a solution is never worth implementing if it doesn't work in one fell swoop. :rolleyes:
    $1 Trillion isn't a "one fell swoop" measure. It's the difference between using a teacup and a bucket to bail out the sinking boat. You just happen to think that a teacup is an acceptable tool and the rest of us out here would rather see buckets and pumps used. $500 billion, (as even SFUSMC sees) is nothing. That won't even make a dent in the current travesty that is the debt and spending.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    $500 B by 2016 - hello! How is that significant? If it was that easy, the current Republican House would already be working on it.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    $1 Trillion isn't a "one fell swoop" measure. It's the difference between using a teacup and a bucket to bail out the sinking boat. You just happen to think that a teacup is an acceptable tool and the rest of us out here would rather see buckets and pumps used. $500 billion, (as even SFUSMC sees) is nothing. That won't even make a dent in the current travesty that is the debt and spending.

^^This^^

mrjarrell is right on point. $15 trillion would be paid off in 150 years if all they cut was $100 billion a year. 150 YEARS! I think the boat would be at the bottom of the sea by then....

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    ^^This^^

mrjarrell is right on point. $15 trillion would be paid off in 150 years if all they cut was $100 billion a year. 150 YEARS! I think the boat would be at the bottom of the sea by then....

Along with all of our guns...

$500 Billion is a drop in the bucket, especially since the all the spending by Bush and Obama are now part of the budget baseline.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The country will collapse if we keep electing the status quo. It is an inescapable fact.

Romney Says 'Deficits Matter' After Releasing Plan To Increase Them By More Than $6 Trillion

Taken together, Romney’s fiscal policies would be even worse than the House Budget. His spending levels are the same — though he provides few details as to what he would cut to accomplish this — but his revenue levels are even lower. The result would be continued unsustainable deficits and more debt. In fact, Romney’s plan would yield approximately $6.5 trillion in deficits from 2013 through 2021.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Romney wants to boost Military Budget by $2 Trillion

The most striking thing about Romney's proposal is the staggering cost. Based on the most likely of three different sets of Congressional Budget Office projections, defense spending will total $637 billion (or 2.7 percent of GDP) in 2021. Romney's plan in that same year would cost taxpayers $900 billion. Cumulative defense spending for the ten-year period from FY 2012 to 2021, according to CBO projections, would total $5.811 trillion. Romney's plan would cost $7.857 trillion, a difference of $2.046 trillion.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    $500 billion isn't even a good start. If the word trillion had come out his mouth then that might be something worth discussing. He's not even trying.

Has ANYONE said they can take a trillion out of it? Seriously, lets get out of our perfect world caps and back into our real life hats. If he can't or won't do it thats one thing, if he does do $500 billions that has to be considered a win, I think.

And seriously, I doubt he tries to take away our guns. I think his move to continue the AR ban in Mass was political in a Dem state. If he wins on the (R) ticket he will know where his bread is buttered. AND I don't think he feels strongly enough about banning to worry about it when there many other problems to fix. I could be wrong, I don't see him doing it; It will take a president who is REALLY REALLY dedicated to disarming us to go there and I don't see that in Romney.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The country will collapse if we keep electing the status quo. It is an inescapable fact.

Agreed, but I find it interesting that you are quoting a progressive news source that has no actual data on it. Do you have a ledger somewhere that shows a net increase?

I personally have no problem spending lots of dollars on the military especially if it keeps us technologically "magic" to our enemies and protects our fighting men and women.

In fact, if my taxes stayed the same and all they did was take away aid to China and the Islamists and the American freeloaders and put that money straight into Armor and Tech for our military I wouldn't hesitate to cut Uncle Sam a check in April. Cutting funding to our military hurts us as much as sending them places they don't need to be.

Especially in the event that we stop being world police, we have to have a superior force to act as a deterrent and so that we can rain death in a big way if anyone screws with us. We can't do that unless we pour $$ into R&D.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Has ANYONE said they can take a trillion out of it?
    Ron Paul Plan: $1T cut, kill 5 departments, & presidential pay = $39K

Seriously, lets get out of our perfect world caps and back into our real life hats. If he can't or won't do it thats one thing, if he does do $500 billions that has to be considered a win, I think.
    A good fiscal conservative would set his sights high. It sends a message that he is serious and knows the magnitude of the problem. Drastic cuts need to happen and the candidates need to convey that they understand how dangerous this problem is.

Its like selling a used car. Ask high, because you know that negotiations will ensue.

Agreed, but I find it interesting that you are quoting a progressive news source that has no actual data on it. Do you have a ledger somewhere that shows a net increase?
    I followed one of their links and they seem to have done their own analysis. I can't say for sure if they're correct. Just throwing it out there. I get my news from a variety of newsfeeds and forums.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Has ANYONE said they can take a trillion out of it? Seriously, lets get out of our perfect world caps and back into our real life hats. If he can't or won't do it thats one thing, if he does do $500 billions that has to be considered a win, I think.

And seriously, I doubt he tries to take away our guns. I think his move to continue the AR ban in Mass was political in a Dem state. If he wins on the (R) ticket he will know where his bread is buttered. AND I don't think he feels strongly enough about banning to worry about it when there many other problems to fix. I could be wrong, I don't see him doing it; It will take a president who is REALLY REALLY dedicated to disarming us to go there and I don't see that in Romney.
    As a matter of fact, two candidates have mentioned cutting out $1 trillion. Ron Paul. And Gary Johnson has proposed cutting $1.6 trillion. Talking about anything less than trillions is not even beginning to address the current problems and shows nothing more than a lack of understanding of the issue and rank cowardice. At least two men have the balls to address it. The others haven't got anything.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Talking about anything less than trillions is not even beginning to address the current problems and shows nothing more than a lack of understanding of the issue and rank cowardice.

Word. $500 billion per year would be a step in the right direction.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

500 billion over the course of 5 years is so inconsequential it's not even worth bothering with. The interest on the remainder of the debt will accrue to more than that in that span of time. It's like a man in debt saying he'll cut down on buying a $3 coke every month while he continues to spend $50,000 every day and calling it an accomplishment.

Top Bottom