• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I have a dillon 650. I am using once fired 9mm brass. 2 or 3 out of 10 shells will not chamber properly because of the bulge at the casing base. Short of buying a commercial roller/sizer what can I do to insure getting a reloaded shell that will chamber properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, A BIG thanks to Dennis at Precision Cartridge. What a great guy! I had a very nice visit with him the other day. I highly recommend him and his company!

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    You can wait for Redding to make this in 9mm. Its a push through sizing die meant for .40 brass fired in non-fully supported chambers.

http://www.grafs.com/product/270529

If you don't want to wait you could buy a die blank and take it to a machine shop and have it bored out to the same thing. You would have to really lube your cases well since it wouldn't be carbide though. Should cost alot to accomplish.

Last edited:

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    use a lee sizing die the leading radius is less and sizes down farther on the case also adjust the sizing die as close to the shell plate as possible

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The FCD won't help. You need a undersize size die like the one that EGW sells - $29 - Undersize Reloading Die - $29.00 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Basically it is a Lee size die (I think) with 0.020"0.025" taken off of the bottom so it sizes the whole case. Just make sure your die is adjusted to hit the bottom of the shell plate when the ram is all the way up.

Competition Glock shooters swear by this die so buy and use with confidence.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The FCD won't help. You need a undersize size die like the one that EGW sells - $29 - Undersize Reloading Die - $29.00 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

Basically it is a Lee size die (I think) with 0.020"0.025" taken off of the bottom so it sizes the whole case. Just make sure your die is adjusted to hit the bottom of the shell plate when the ram is all the way up.

Competition Glock shooters swear by this die so buy and use with confidence.

Have never had any issues with 9mm being bulged bad enough it was a problem, so this might be a silly question... Wouldn't removing the same .020 from the top of a extra shell holder accomplish the same thing? Lets say a shellholder designated for resizing purposes only. If so, A shell holder would only cost a few bucks. I understand the 9mm is not a straight walled case, so I'm trying to visualize the difference in what both would accomplish.

Last edited:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have never had any issues with 9mm being bulged bad enough it was a problem, so this might be a silly question... Wouldn't removing the same .020 from the top of a extra shell holder accomplish the same thing? Lets say a shellholder designated for resizing purposes only. If so, A shell holder would only cost a few bucks. I understand the 9mm is not a straight walled case, so I'm trying to visualize the difference in what both would accomplish.

Yeah, I think it would. That is, of course, if you had access to a mill. For $29, it is an easy fix for this issue...and proven. It's that or just buy roll sized 9mm brass for $40+/k.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    You could shorten either the die or the shellholder with a file, belt sander, grinder, etc. pretty easily and quickly, especially if they are made by Lee.

Shortening the shellholder still doesn't get rid of the slight taper in the base diameter of the FCD though. No more expensive than those individual dies are...

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for all the great advice. I "think" I have fixed the problem with everyone's help. Almost embarrassed to say but I think I just did not have the die close enough to the shell plate. I was fidling with it last night. Adjusted the die. Found some empty brass that was bulged, loaded them and they seem to work fine. Silly me. LOL!

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Moving the die down to "touch" the shell plate or even taking a few thousands off of the bottom of the die will NOT solve your problem. All sizing dies, whether steel or carbide, have a radius on the mouth, this is where the "bulge" is and cannot be removed unless you push the case completely through the Redding Die or use the automated unit produced by Magma Cast out of Arizona.

Or, you can just purchase 9mm casings that have been deprimed, primer pockets reamed, splits & cracks removed, roller sized and shined up to new appearance................

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    That may very well be true, but I am speaking from experience in my business, I have been a commercial reloader for over 25 years, have used evry brand of Sizing Die and no matter what is done to them, only Roller Sizing elimininates 100% of the problem. I was just offering my opinion!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks for all the great advice. I "think" I have fixed the problem with everyone's help. Almost embarrassed to say but I think I just did not have the die close enough to the shell plate. I was fidling with it last night. Adjusted the die. Found some empty brass that was bulged, loaded them and they seem to work fine. Silly me. LOL!
    Bingo!!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Will this work with 9mm? I did not see it listed on the link.

does that idea work w/ a tapered case? you'd need to ensure you pushed it perfectly square up the die, I'd think, or else end up with other problems? Always assumed that's why I'd never seen that done w/ 9.

Excellent recommendation. I use one for my .38 super to ensure reliability.
    Many swear by it who have tight chambers in their match guns to get "glocked" brass to run 100%.

I just did not have the die close enough to the shell plate. I was fidling with it last night. Adjusted the die. .... seem to work fine. Silly me. LOL!

cool. there ya go. First step in sizing all the way is... sizing all the way! :)

only Roller Sizing elimininates 100% of the problem.

That may be true... but does 100% have to be eliminated, or can you get 100% reliability with only 90-95% of the problem eliminated? Obviously that's a loaded question since it depends on the gun in question, but if I can get 100% reliability with a simple/cheap fix, that's what I'll do... to guarentee that in a commercial setting, I can understand needing to eliminate 100% of the problem. thanks for the insight.

-rvb

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That may very well be true, but I am speaking from experience in my business, I have been a commercial reloader for over 25 years, have used evry brand of Sizing Die and no matter what is done to them, only Roller Sizing elimininates 100% of the problem. I was just offering my opinion!!!!!!!

No worries. We're both speaking from our experience, so we're both right. The u-die that I mentioned is relatively unknown outside of the USPSA/IDPA competition circles, where high-volume reloading is commonplace.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I am having the same problem with 6k pieces of brass i purchased....and i am following this thread:): Looks like i will be trying the EGW die and getting rid of my dillon 9mm sizer:xmad: Maybe

Top Bottom