• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I have a lee classic turret. One of the dies includes a roll crimp. I have roll crimped every reload I have done so far. I am finding that my brass is starting to crack more often. I have factory ammo that is taper crimped. So I am debating weather or not the factory roll crimp is necessary.

Whats your opinion of roll crimp vs taper crimp?

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    A roll crimp is better at securing the bullet against recoil and aiding the burning of hard to light powders, such as H110. If that is not a problem and you can get a taper crimp to work for you, then use it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A roll crimp is MANDATORY for H110/W296. A heavy crimp. For other powders, a lighter roll crimp is enough.

If you are getting cracks, it usually is not because of the crimp applied. It is usually caused by excessive belling.

Don't bother with a taper crimp with revolver cartridges.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I use a roll crimp whenever I can (cannelured bullets only). I have loaded many 357 rounds and rarely have had split cases with my plinking rounds.

I have had a few with some older cases that were loaded hot a few too many times, still kinda rare.

How many times were these cases loaded before they split?
    I have loaded thousands of rounds and have only had a handful of split cases, I do have thousands of 357 brass, some haven't been loaded all that many times, maybe that is why I haven't had the same experience as you.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Roll crimp in a crimp groove or cannelure (sp).

I haven't had a problem with my starline cases splitting. I expand my cases for 0.361" cast bullets for my marlin 1894c. My loads are pretty top end with lil gun.

I dont know why your cases would be splitting. What brand and age of brass?

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I also roll crimp. As is posted above, it may be yer expander is set to deep. I usually am shooting h110 loads so a firm crimp is a necessity.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Roll crimp in a crimp groove or cannelure (sp).

I haven't had a problem with my starline cases splitting. I expand my cases for 0.361" cast bullets for my marlin 1894c. My loads are pretty top end with lil gun.

I dont know why your cases would be splitting. What brand and age of brass?

see below

I use a roll crimp whenever I can (cannelured bullets only). I have loaded many 357 rounds and rarely have had split cases with my plinking rounds.

I have had a few with some older cases that were loaded hot a few too many times, still kinda rare.

How many times were these cases loaded before they split?
    I have loaded thousands of rounds and have only had a handful of split cases, I do have thousands of 357 brass, some haven't been loaded all that many times, maybe that is why I haven't had the same experience as you.

I do not know how many times some of the brass has been reloaded. I bought some reloaded 357 at muncie gun show. I have tried to keep all my brass I shoot.

I've also tried to make it a habit to buy new factory ammo and reload that brass -- as opposed to buying reloaded ammo.

Roll crimp here too. Like sloughfoot said, likely belling more than need is what is stressing the brass.

How do I prevent excessive belling on my press & die kit?

To be honest when I seat the bullet in case it does not look overly belled. I use the LEE powder & expander die as my belling die.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How do I prevent excessive belling on my press & die kit?

To be honest when I seat the bullet in case it does not look overly belled. I use the LEE powder & expander die as my belling die.

Just enough so that you can set the bullet on the case without it falling over. Screw the die in so that it just touches the case, then go 1/8 of a turn at a time and try it... when you get it just right you'll feel it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You will always be able to tell when your crimp is not enough in a magnum revolver. After one or two shots, the cylinder will not turn because the recoil of the fired loads causes the bullets in the unfired rounds to pull out and bind against the frame. Now you have to try to pound the bullets back far enough to open the cylinder. Not something I like to deal with. Cases are cheap, use plenty of crimp.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just enough so that you can set the bullet on the case without it falling over. Screw the die in so that it just touches the case, then go 1/8 of a turn at a time and try it... when you get it just right you'll feel it.

Pretty much this. I bell just enough not to shave lead or copper when seating. Barely any is needed with a good chamfer on the case mouth, especially if the bullet has beveled base.

Top Bottom