Road rage and self-absorbed douchery on the roadway on the rise?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    At first I thought it was just because I'm in an unmarked and people do stupider things without an obvious cop car around, but given the uptick in shootings on the interstate I think it's more than that. A few weeks ago I was on my way in to work so about 0600 and nearly empty streets. I saw a guy cut another car off for no reason. He just passed him then immediately cut him off then sped off again. I thought maybe he was nodding off, but he did it to two more cars. The third car was having none of it and chased him. I stayed back just to see if it was going to turn into something I needed to radio the real police for and when they approached a red light and stopped traffic the initiating car drove through the grass to get away.

Today I watched a truck and van monkey dance on the west side on 465. Complete with flipping off out the window, gesturing to pull over to fight, etc. The van pulled into the fast lane and forced the truck to slow down a bit, not cut him off just slow down. Learn to adult better.

And finally, not road rage but an irritant and possibly ruined someone's day even more, stupid semi drivers just can't stay out of the 3rd lane on 465. Two semis were in the 3rd lane creating a backup that was probably 1/2-3/4 mile long...and an ambulance was trying to work through the logjam. The self-absorbed or self-appointed traffic wardens forget that emergency vehicles actually don't have to follow the speed limit, are probably in a hurry, and you could literally be killing someone by delaying first responders. Tools.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At first I thought it was just because I'm in an unmarked and people do stupider things without an obvious cop car around, but given the uptick in shootings on the interstate I think it's more than that. A few weeks ago I was on my way in to work so about 0600 and nearly empty streets. I saw a guy cut another car off for no reason. He just passed him then immediately cut him off then sped off again. I thought maybe he was nodding off, but he did it to two more cars. The third car was having none of it and chased him. I stayed back just to see if it was going to turn into something I needed to radio the real police for and when they approached a red light and stopped traffic the initiating car drove through the grass to get away.

Today I watched a truck and van monkey dance on the west side on 465. Complete with flipping off out the window, gesturing to pull over to fight, etc. The van pulled into the fast lane and forced the truck to slow down a bit, not cut him off just slow down. Learn to adult better.

And finally, not road rage but an irritant and possibly ruined someone's day even more, stupid semi drivers just can't stay out of the 3rd lane on 465. Two semis were in the 3rd lane creating a backup that was probably 1/2-3/4 mile long...and an ambulance was trying to work through the logjam. The self-absorbed or self-appointed traffic wardens forget that emergency vehicles actually don't have to follow the speed limit, are probably in a hurry, and you could literally be killing someone by delaying first responders. Tools.
    Thanks for posting what a lot of us are witnessing BBI. Coming back from New Albany earlier today I saw a lot of your first example and the third as well. Thankfully there was no truck/van monkey dancing between here and Floyd County.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    They do stupid stuff around marked cars too. Including tailgating it, passing it, and speeding up to 55 in a 40.

But to your real point, it does seem like aggression toward other motorists is escalating. People really don’t seem to think much of pointing guns or popping a round off at another vehicle over some minor transgression. Anyone getting into road rage situations in Marion County is asking to take rounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They do stupid stuff around marked cars too. Including tailgating it, passing it, and speeding up to 55 in a 40.

But to your real point, it does seem like aggression toward other motorists is escalating. People really don’t seem to think much of pointing guns or popping a round off at another vehicle over some minor transgression. Anyone getting into road rage situations in Marion County is asking to take rounds.
    This has been on the rise for a long time Amigo. Distracted driving. Self centered morons that have crap lives and take it out on the interstates. Cell phones, tv's in the vehicles you name it. More and more people resist being called out for not following the rules we are all trying to follow.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I glance over to look at drivers in the oncoming lane and the majority of them aren't even looking out the front window.

I've noticed two things that seem particularly bad locally:

Not even knowing there are rules to right of way or maintaining lanes. They aren't trying to be terrible drivers, they really don't know any better.

Lying in wait to pull out suddenly. On the levelest, longest straight stretch they can find. Are they figuring they'll get a new car and settlement out of it?

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    It seems that ppl are dumber on the road lately. Last 2 times I went anywhere I had to do a dbl take bc someone was just cruising in my blind spot. Slow ppl chilling in the fast lane more. Ppl going to pass you and then just slowing down and riding next to you til you’re about to rear end a semi. It’s like all the ppl that cooped themselves up for two years are finally coming out and forgot how to drive

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The trend has been going that way for a while, but has taken a real uptick since the lockdowns.

It's like a lot of drivers are somewhere between mentally off and don't give a :poop::poop::poop:. On top of the majority of them being totally self centered. Might be a lot of opioids involved also?

I have seen a fair amount of old ladies, driving terribly and mean as hell looking when they are passed. :dunno:

Last edited:

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    It's always been bad what the change I've seen in the past two years: back in Q1 of 2020 when everyone stayed home except truck drivers the highways became a trucker's paradise. There was maybe one car for every 4-5 trucks in some places. Historically congested intersections suddenly flowed like butter without aggressive cars darting in at the last second and forcing everyone who'd been patiently waiting their turn to slam on their brakes. And mostly, NO SPEED TRAPS.

Now of course when people started venturing out again they found these conditions too tempting. Cars were doing well over 100mph and there were a number of news articles about the more egregious offenders, most of whom wiped out during pursuit. Anyways, fast forward 12-18 months and I'm still seeing this type of behavior because what I'm not seeing is the same type of roadside police presence that I've seen in years past. Police presence usually helps to deter that kind of reckless speeding and also the type of aggression noted in earlier posts. The underlying self-absorption that fuels such behavior isn't new but having been left unchecked the behavior is getting worse and hasn't abated and won't abate unless conspicuous aggressive enforcement of the highway laws are once again implemented.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree with the opinion or the Highway Cowboys. Pouring rain at midnight, wipers on full sweep, and semi trucks and regular cars and trucks doing 80-90 mph on I65. Olympic tailgating too!
    Rolling death merchants.

Throw in a guy or three with head lights out, brake lights out, or not even turned on! Cutting off drivers. 3 lane switches and no signals.
    Is this Christmas? Nah, parade of morons.

Good point on the random shootings on interstates too. i keep kevlar in my back seat, also armed up to my former patrol shotgun, and spare handgun mags.
    Way too much going on.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    It seems that ppl are dumber on the road lately. Last 2 times I went anywhere I had to do a dbl take bc someone was just cruising in my blind spot. Slow ppl chilling in the fast lane more. Ppl going to pass you and then just slowing down and riding next to you til you’re about to rear end a semi. It’s like all the ppl that cooped themselves up for two years are finally coming out and forgot how to drive
    I see a lot of this in the semi where people deliberately lane block you from getting over because they think its funny or they don't want the semi to get ahead of them or whatever. They seem to fail to realize that A) we're at work and their behavior is interfering with that and B) if there's a collision as a result of their behavior they're far more likely to die than the truck driver. If we had pictures of truck-involved wrecks on the sides of the trailers I wonder if people would keep their distance.

I will also say that my company has certain series of trailers with inspirational messages and anecdotally I seem to get somewhat less interference when I'm pulling one of these trailers.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I'm just thankful I have unmarked cars keeping me safe and all.

What is a "van monkey"?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Our Bodyshop has seen a sharp spike in wreck repairs in the last 3 months and from what I hear it is nationwide.
    In the 20 plus years we have been in business we have never been so busy.

It's hard to understand. There are none of the normal justifications for this many wrecks.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I really dislike tailgaters. We live in an area with a long state rd, 25+ miles, with few places to pass. It is 12 miles West of 65 so no easy access to the interstate. Seems like it is normal to be the only 2 vehicles on a mile of road and they are 2' from the bumper. Rain, ice, nighttime doesn't matter.
    Especially irritating when I am on the bike. Just love to see a young person in the mirror at less than half the following distance on the phone.

I usually pull over and let them go.

Don

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

Well, that's a flip...
    This forum has always been PRO-Road Rage and a lot of it!

The reason there is so much more of it is...
    They get away with it and escalate.

Self entitlement, narcissistic personality types learn by experience, the more they get away with, the more they will try to get away with, self entitlement increases.

I took TONS of crap here for refusing to participate in road rage,
    Being from a different generation we were taught "Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right".
    (But three rights make a left! ;) )

You might get the palms up gesture from me, the "WTF" gesture,
    But I choose to get myself out of a dangerous situation instead of increase it.

I'm NOT the police, it's NOT my job to try and 'Punish' someone for a perceived (real or imagined) slight or stupid move.

I see a LOT of police that think it's not their job either,
    Letting these people get away with it, so they get worse...
    Lots of police 20-30 MPH over the speed limit with no lights on, and a very large percentage on their phones texting or using hand held phones not paying attention to what's going on.

There is a reason I have drive cameras in my vehicles,
    It's to protect ME when they do something stupid I can't avoid.
    And trust me, I have to do a LOT of avoiding with the absolute sense of entitlement spreading...
    Do any stupid thing that crosses their minds and *Think* they are entitled to do it...

Your pet peeve seems to be trucks.
    I agree there is a higher percentage of truck drivers doing stupid things than there used to be.

I'm also aware they have more accountability than 4 wheeler drivers,
    Medical certification every 2 years or less,
    Homeland security background checks,
    CSA point scores that disqualify them if they do very much stupid crap...
    And they CAN'T appeal or dispute those CSA points, no day in court/due process.

I'm also aware they are completely innocent in 85% of car/truck crashes.
    Insurance companies have established that in cases with video evidence.
    ... The TWO cameras in my truck have saved me twice in the past 3 months when 4 wheelers drove into the side of the trailer...

I'm carrying a firearm in the vehicles more these days since everyone seems to let their ego/absolute sense of entitlement accost other drivers.

I'll get away from them if possible (we are full up on crazy and don't need theirs),
    If that doesn't work I'll get off the road and stop for 5 minutes, anyone with a shred of reason, I shouldn't have to see them ever again,
    And if they stop to confront, I call 911 & dig out the pepper spray & firearm.
    Pepper spray gives me options.
    ... And I have it on camera ...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Our Bodyshop has seen a sharp spike in wreck repairs in the last 3 months and from what I hear it is nationwide.
    In the 20 plus years we have been in business we have never been so busy.

It's hard to understand. There are none of the normal justifications for this many wrecks.

Insurance companies are loosing their minds...
    According to our insurance companies (plural) 52% of drivers in accidents shouldn't have been there in the first place...

No registration, no insurance, no licence, drug/alcohol, etc.

Even though it's older and way out of warranty, we keep uninsured motorist insurance on our vehicles.
    According to the insurance companies, the same people are crashing over & over.
    If they cause an accident, odds are good (around 70%) have been in two previous accidents in the past 3 years.
    Most of these are "Judgment Proof", no assets or ability to pay for damages.

No wonder insurance rates are so high, we keep having to pay for the same idiots to crash into our vehicles over & over again!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It does seem to be on an uptick lately. I enjoyed the ‘lockdown days’ with next to no traffic.
    im not sure if it’s self absorbed or self important people or they are just totally unaware of their surroundings. People cruising in the fast lane either ten miles an hour slower than everyone, which at least they are easy to get around, or those going one MPH slower than the middle lane, which is frustrating because it takes five miles to get around them and they cause a huge backup, which just pisses people off and creates more road rage!
    I recently got a work van which makes me have to ‘n my tongue’ as I’m driving a rioting nillnoard with our (local) companies name and phone number on it. At least on the weekends I can ‘express my displeasure’ at the jackass drivers out there but I should probably tone that down as I don’t want to catch a 9mm from a grump on I70!

Top Bottom