• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    At 0400 the roads were just starting to get a little snow/sleet on them. Going from the edge of Hancock county into Marion county was like night and day. Marion county had obviously been salting early. Downtown Indy streets are pretty much just wet right now.

Have heard that down South is getting it pretty strong and that the forcast has been changed to an expected 10" of snow.

Leave early and be safe out there....:yesway:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Not too bad here in Greenwood about an inch and a half on the ground. The main roads are clear. I am getting ready to drive my son to School near Whiteland maybe a little more snow that way but all the main roads are GTG...

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Brown County

We've got 3-4" on the ground at 0700. Local schools are closed.

Forecast is for more snow and sleet later today. A good day to work from home if you can!

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Southern Indiana is so funny. 3" of snow is a snow day. HA! Oh heavens, its a blizzard!! AAAAH
    I might be wrong, but I suspect the school closings have more to do with the amount of hills, curves and rural areas as well as the forecast for the rest of the day than it has to do with 3" of snow. :)

I hate driving on straight, flat roads in 1" of snow in my Subaru (although I will admit my Wisconsinite husband laughs at me for it). I hate driving in hilly curvy areas. Combine the two, I'm stranded at home for the next week until the snow melts. ;)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I might be wrong, but I suspect the school closings have more to do with the amount of hills, curves and rural areas as well as the forecast for the rest of the day than it has to do with 3" of snow. :)

I hate driving on straight, flat roads in 1" of snow in my Subaru (although I will admit my Wisconsinite husband laughs at me for it). I hate driving in hilly curvy areas. Combine the two, I'm stranded at home for the next week until the snow melts. ;)

There are plenty of places in this country that have hills and curves, but still continue with their daily lives when snow is on the road. Central Montana would cease to exist if they followed our "logic" about when to close down.

I can understand their safety concerns, up to a point. When it was so frigid a few weeks ago, there was a 2 hour delay. How much do they expect it will warm up in 2 hours? We were having this discussion at MC Sports' gun counter, and another woman chimed in that she is a bus driver and they have ice forming on the inside of the windshield. Obviously, this is a safety concern. However, she said that 2 hours later it still was a problem but they didn't cancel school.

My sister lives in PA and they had a 2 hour delay for 1/2" of snow this morning. That's a big hassle for working parents, and it doesn't really make sense.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Greene county has about 3 inches where we are. It is now sleeting. I love snow, not so crazy about ice. We are low on firewood so I bit the bullet and turned on the central heat. If we get a lot of ice I don't want to lose power and not have any wood. The hubby and I have both had some health problems so the chainsaws didn't get used like they normally would. I have never been this low on wood. Come on spring!

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    There are plenty of places in this country that have hills and curves, but still continue with their daily lives when snow is on the road. Central Montana would cease to exist if they followed our "logic" about when to close down.

I can understand their safety concerns, up to a point. When it was so frigid a few weeks ago, there was a 2 hour delay. How much do they expect it will warm up in 2 hours? We were having this discussion at MC Sports' gun counter, and another woman chimed in that she is a bus driver and they have ice forming on the inside of the windshield. Obviously, this is a safety concern. However, she said that 2 hours later it still was a problem but they didn't cancel school.

My sister lives in PA and they had a 2 hour delay for 1/2" of snow this morning. That's a big hassle for working parents, and it doesn't really make sense.

I agree with you. I don’t have much sympathy when it comes to snowy conditions and the general panic they cause; however, they lied when they said S. Indiana was getting snow. In Evansville it has been raining/sleeting/snowing all night, which is working on a decent layer of ice.
    I'm sure the schools around here are closing (including evening classes here) due to the ice, not the snow...

My experience here at school has taught me, it isn't the snow you need to be worried about driving in. It is the stupid drivers around you who A) have no clue how to drive in snow or B) are just being stupid on purpose. I’m astounded by the dumb drivers that insist on going out in even the slightest poor conditions and disregard all common sense… but I’m not a biggest fan of most the drivers on the Lloyd most days.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Down here in SW Indiana we're in the middle of a nasty ice storm. Our neighbors just across the river are really getting it bad. I'm listening to tree branches coming down right now all over my neighborhood. It just can't snow this far south without adding nasty ice.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    well okay, this morning was vastly different than what I saw yesterday. If it weren't for "random guy" plowing my housing addition I doubt that I would have made it to US52 this morning.

But alas...the tactical Honda Civic was up to the challenge at hand and got me to downtown Indy. :):

Top Bottom