• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Does this mean society will go back to just "making their mark" since they won't be able to sign their name?

:dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I approve. I don't think script is dead yet, but it's close. It's already obsolete and I predict it will be completely unnecessary in the next 20 years. Why continue to waste resources teaching it? Other than signing my name, I personally haven't used it in 15 years or more. We stopped teaching shorthand for the same reasons.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I wonder if they are dropping cursive to make room for spanish to become mandatory in schools?

Hey I just started a conspiracy theory!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great. We finally get decent handwriting recognition on tablets, and we do away with it? Why adapt to the device, when we can adapt the device to us?

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I also heard they are tending to de-emphasize spelling because of the [STRIKE]proliferance[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]proleferance[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]prolifura[/STRIKE]...

Because of the spread of spell checkers. :n00b:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Cursive writing teaches a few things that are sadly lacking in our school system.
    Patience, and discipline.
    :twocents:

That being said, I can't read my own Cursive text once the ink dries. :dunno:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yup, there is no reason for our children or grandchildren to learn how to read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence for themselves, when they have plenty of volunteers who are willing, nay eager to interpret the writing on those important documents for them.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Just this week, I observed my grandaughter working on her cursive skills. She's only 6 yrs. old, but wants very badly to be able to do it. I consider that a very good sign, and I believe this skill needs to be passed on.
    But she needs someone else to help her. Ever since I was diagnosed with ET, My cursive has been painfully laborious in order to even be legible!(at times I need to brace with my other hand.) The day could come that our keyboards are rendered useless.

HotPocket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    With Daddy
    In second grade my daughter taught herself cursive. Because they didn't teach it any more. But in forth and fifth grades teachers will only accept cursive handwriting. :dunno:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I guess I'm the only one that still actually writes letters and postcards anymore.

You aren't the only one. I even write thank you notes, too. A handwritten note always seemed more personal than a typewritten one.
    I do handwritten notes all the time, but I don't write in cursive. I print, because it's easier to read. My parents both have beautiful cursive handwriting, but my printing is still easier to read. I'm all for kicking it to the curb in the name of clarity.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yup, there is no reason for our children or grandchildren to learn how to read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence for themselves, when they have plenty of volunteers who are willing, nay eager to interpret the writing on those important documents for them.

Dang that's a pretty darn good reason that cursive should stick around.
    Rep to you. If you can't read the original document, well you just have to read somebody else's copy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's easy enough to read script without actually being able to manually reproduce the font by hand. Virtually every letter is the same as its standard print counterpart with only one or two exceptions, and it should be easy enough to work those out from context. In other words, they should still be able to read the Constitution just fine. In fact, parts of the way it's written have not been taught in schools in a hundred years (such as "s" that looks like "f") and people still don't have a problem reading it.

Top Bottom