• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He ran on that. He crafted a pretty IMO intentional image. He talked specifically about deporting Hispanics, vetting Muslims, and making the inner cities safer for the "African-American community." Church, you don't do it that way, unless you're trying to get the ear of people who may have pre-conceived notions about those groups. You know how he could have won my vote, by saying the same thing in a different way. Why couldn't he have said he was going to deport everybody that was here illegally? There are lots of people from Asia and Eastern Europe that are illegal. Why couldn't he have said he was going to vet, more thoroughly everybody coming into the country? And why couldn't he had said that he was going to make the inner cities safer for everybody? That's three ways a small change in language changes the entire tone of his rhetoric. But he didn't go that route, purposefully in my opinion, so upon his election, you're going to have a lot of people who he cited in his statements that are worried about be targeted specifically.

I see this.
    I am sure his speeches were written by others and he played off the cuff to what ever audience he was in front of.
    Pretty standard stuff really but yes, he made targets of the people/cultures that folks are fed up with and played those cards.
    I am sure his actions will be watered down but we all have to agree something has got to change and very soon.
    My area is full of hard working family oriented Hispanics. They have actually been fixing up the area. Except for that damned music (Music...:dunno:) they listen too I am good with them.
    Do I want them all bused out of here......no. Do I want them held to immigration laws.......Yes I do.
    Now, how do we do that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I see this.
    I am sure his speeches were written by others and he played off the cuff to what ever audience he was in front of.
    Pretty standard stuff really but yes, he made targets of the people/cultures that folks are fed up with and played those cards.
    I am sure his actions will be watered down but we all have to agree something has got to change and very soon.
    My area is full of hard working family oriented Hispanics. They have actually been fixing up the area. Except for that damned music (Music...:dunno:) they listen too I am good with them.
    Do I want them all bused out of here......no. Do I want them held to immigration laws.......Yes I do.
    Now, how do we do that.

Lol, pretend it's polka, they're similar.... but then again, you don't strike me as the polka type.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He ran on that. He crafted a pretty IMO intentional image. He talked specifically about deporting Hispanics, vetting Muslims, and making the inner cities safer for the "African-American community." Church, you don't do it that way, unless you're trying to get the ear of people who may have pre-conceived notions about those groups. You know how he could have won my vote, by saying the same thing in a different way. Why couldn't he have said he was going to deport everybody that was here illegally? There are lots of people from Asia and Eastern Europe that are illegal. Why couldn't he have said he was going to vet, more thoroughly everybody coming into the country? And why couldn't he had said that he was going to make the inner cities safer for everybody? That's three ways a small change in language changes the entire tone of his rhetoric. But he didn't go that route, purposefully in my opinion, so upon his election, you're going to have a lot of people who he cited in his statements that are worried about be targeted specifically.

Are you implying that it's a sort of dog whistle? I've said this before. Trump isn't a great communicator. His speech is very plain. Colloquial. Much is left to infer.

My wife sometimes does that. For example, the other day I had to work later than usual. She said, "you're always late getting home from work". I know that's not what she could have meant because I wasn't late yesterday, or the day before, or the day before... What she really meant, it was really inconvenient for her that I was late that day and she's not happy about it. But that's not how she said it.

Trump talked about deporting Mexicans. I inferred from what he said that he had to mean the illegal ones. But the press ran with "Trump wants to deport all Mexicans" because that makes him most poopy. And then they attack his supporters because they must be bigots to support him after that.

I think Occam's Razor applies here as much as anyplace. He didn't say it the way you would have best understood it, because he's not a polished speaker. I doubt it was a dog whistle.

Let's take this quote for example:
    "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems. They're bringing Drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."

Is he talking about all Mexicans that come to the US? No. He's only talking about the illegal that sneak over here. Is he talking about all illegal immigrants? No. He's talking about the ones that do those things. To infer from that statement that Trump plans to deport all Mexicans is absurd. I can see the press asking him to clarify. But they just ran with "all". So now many hispanics are panicking because the press made that straw monster.

I think it's fair to talk about how screwed up things must be to have a guy like that as the only alternative to a criminal. But to say he's saying things the way he says them as a sort of dog whistle to get bigots to follow him is imaging things are more complicated than they are. As POTUS Trump will need a speech writer just to have a State Dinner with foreign diplomats to make sure he doesn't offend people accidentally.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As much as some people want to believe that, it's pretty dismissive, and it's wrong. These are people who are scared of Trump's campaign rhetoric. These are people that don't believe in the vilification of Muslims and the threat of the deportation of millions of people. These are the people who are worried that good patriotism, will spin to bad nationalism. And while he ran on that, I don't actually think he will go that route (hopefully). My personal opinion, is that these people are umping the gun. Give the president-elect a chance. Let's see what he does first, before protesting in the streets.
    No sir, on this, you are wrong, these are complete ****ing idiots! They are exactly the special snowflakes we have been talking about! Trump getting elected causes them to commit suicide? Weak wills, and coddling, someone always there to tell you you are capable of anything, even though we know it's not true! People always there to make an excuse as to why, and reward you for participating anyway. When folks like these have to face reality, they melt down, and do stupid ****, like commit suicide! Trump had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So why the protests now? Let this rocket scientist explain it.

[video=youtube;zFVzGIzODMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVzGIzODMo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    aTjBqh9.jpg
    [/IMG]

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Are you implying that it's a sort of dog whistle? I've said this before. Trump isn't a great communicator. His speech is very plain. Colloquial. Much is left to infer.

My wife sometimes does that. For example, the other day I had to work later than usual. She said, "you're always late getting home from work". I know that's not what she could have meant because I wasn't late yesterday, or the day before, or the day before... What she really meant, it was really inconvenient for her that I was late that day and she's not happy about it. But that's not how she said it.

Trump talked about deporting Mexicans. I inferred from what he said that he had to mean the illegal ones. But the press ran with "Trump wants to deport all Mexicans" because that makes him most poopy. And then they attack his supporters because they must be bigots to support him after that.

I think Occam's Razor applies here as much as anyplace. He didn't say it the way you would have best understood it, because he's not a polished speaker. I doubt it was a dog whistle.

Let's take this quote for example:
    "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems. They're bringing Drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists."

Is he talking about all Mexicans that come to the US? No. He's only talking about the illegal that sneak over here. Is he talking about all illegal immigrants? No. He's talking about the ones that do those things. To infer from that statement that Trump plans to deport all Mexicans is absurd. I can see the press asking him to clarify. But they just ran with "all". So now many hispanics are panicking because the press made that straw monster.

I think it's fair to talk about how screwed up things must be to have a guy like that as the only alternative to a criminal. But to say he's saying things the way he says them as a sort of dog whistle to get bigots to follow him is imaging things are more complicated than they are. As POTUS Trump will need a speech writer just to have a State Dinner with foreign diplomats to make sure he doesn't offend people accidentally.
    I think the biggest issue was with the media and democrat political operatives using Trumps comments in the way that you suggest to purposely drum up the angst. That is a dangerous tactic and leads to the unmitigated hatred that divides this country. We are now seeing the fruits of their labor come to bare.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So why the protests now? Let this rocket scientist explain it.

[video=youtube;zFVzGIzODMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFVzGIzODMo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

A senior in college...so's she's what? 23? Probably her entire political aware life has been under the Obama administration. She has little experience to compare this change in direction to. The dirty little secret is not much is going to change. Maybe a few things here and there but states are still going to raise the minimum wage and Trump will probably sign the eventual federal increase when it comes around. Mitch McConnell will let us down on ObamaCare---it won't be repealed. It may get touched up some but she'll still be on mom and dad's plan for 3 more years.

It'll be OK, little snow flake. The gun nuts may get a cookie or two tossed their way just so the republicans can retain the NRA A ratings and you and your LGBT gaystoppos might meat a modicum more of resistance. But the country will continue to slouch and you'll be just fine.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think the biggest issue was with the media and democrat political operatives using Trumps comments in the way that you suggest to purposely drum up the angst. That is a dangerous tactic and leads to the unmitigated hatred that divides this country. We are now seeing the fruits of their labor come to bare.

I think another thing causing the angst especially in the Millennials is the Comedy-as-news shows like Steven Colbert, Jon Stewart and others. They use some pretty stretched out hyperbole and then these young idiots take the hyperbole as fact. And now they believe all these crazy things. Where in the hell could anyone have gotten the idea that Trump was going to put all LGBTs through "conversion therapy" for ****s sake!

Top Bottom