• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    used ruger GP100-22 i picked up last month...

quite possibly the worst trigger ive ever pulled. tossed in some wolf springs, trigger feels a little better,

havnt had a chance to shoot it with the new springs

:cheers:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very nice Crewchief!

The triggers in 22 revolvers are all over the place. I’ve touched some that with a 12lb+ double action and others that are right in the 7lb range.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    used ruger GP100-22 i picked up last month...
    quite possibly the worst trigger ive ever pulled. tossed in some wolf springs, trigger feels a little better,
    havnt had a chance to shoot it with the new springs

I had the GP100 and it was quite a trigger pull.
    At the same time, I also had a Taurus 990 Tracker 4" barrel .22LR that was a brute of a gun.
    The trigger pull in DA was a BEAR to pull.
    The Taurus was more accurate than the Ruger GP100 which bugged me since it cost much less, and you always heard the Taurus guns trashed & how good the Rugers were (I owned many Rugers).
    I gave them both up & some other good .22LR revolvers when I bought a Dan Wesson 8" barrel, 54 ozs. from a member here, that had a sweet honey of a trigger & more accurate than all of them.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I got a notification that Savage B22 Precisions are finally arriving to dealers.

Local quoted price was $395 plus tax. A bit more than the Ruger RPR but you get a full aluminum MDT chassis for the extra cost.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Very nice Crewchief!

The triggers in 22 revolvers are all over the place. I’ve touched some that with a 12lb+ double action and others that are right in the 7lb range.

yea this one was in the 12lb ( i'd estimate) range. after 200 rds or so, my finger was starting to cramp up.

i put a reduced power mainspring in it, it feels much better. i'll know in a couple weeks, i'm shooting a rimfire steel match with it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from picking up a used double rifle case from a member since carrying 2 single rifle cases along with my rolling suitcase into the range through the doors is such a hassle.
    I've even used bungee cords to hold the two cases together. :dunno:

In the garage I ran across a box of .22LR ammo I bought this summer from a member and forgot about it: what a treat!
    I'm thinking there is another box somewhere, it will make spring special when I do the spring garage clean to find out where everything is :laugh:.
    Last time I found ammo in the garage it was a new case (or two) of 9mm: even better! :rockwoot:

pLwjR6z.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone had any experience with the Browning 1911-22?
    They are 85% of the full-sized Browning 1911 45acp.
    I've always been curious about it, and never owned one since I have not found one from either private sales or a shop having a used one.
    I had one in my hand at ZR Tactical over a year ago but it was so light & small I didn't care for it, and it was priced higher than normal b/c they had upgraded some of the internals, as they do. I bought a wonderful GSG 1911-22 from them that they had upgraded wonderfully (paid $350 for a $200 pistol, and was glad to do so).
    Gunbroker is no help since I can get a new one for $440 or $470 locally, Armslist the same.
    I never ran across one for a decent used price ($350-$375).

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    Used to own a Browning 1911-22, nice little gun and very well made. Got rid of it cause of the useless sights, no aftermarket parts available. If you get one make sure it is the newer model with the better sights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Used to own a Browning 1911-22, nice little gun and very well made. Got rid of it cause of the useless sights, no aftermarket parts available. If you get one make sure it is the newer model with the better sights.

Thanks for your input, and you verify my reading about what others have said on different sites about the sights: much complaining.
    I can't believe for the money Browning has the 1911-22 priced at, that they don't have a decent set of target sights on it, or at least a way of making it easy to put some on, but everyone says the sights are a hassle. :dunno:
    I'm glad to hear they have addressed it.
    What is the manufacture date of the "newer" model?

B/C of what I've read, if I bought one, I'd get a new one so as to be able to send it back to Browning for work on the sights, like many others I've read about have done.
    But, if I have to buy new b/c I can't find an equitably priced used one (25% less than new), which I've only done 3-4 times, I don't get in a hurry and while waiting usually find something else to chase after. :)
    I've been casually looking for one for 2 years & nearly bought twice but didn't b/c of price, and they just don't come up for sale used locally, even priced like a new one.
    Appreciate it, thanks again! :thumbsup:

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    Been a while since I looked into them, but the model with the better sights is the black label version. They also went with a plastic frame on that one, that’s when I lost interest. If I remember right, they did come out with a Regal model that had the better sights with the aluminum frame but it was promptly discontinued. Browning really dropped the ball on this one IMO. Great little gun but too expensive, terrible sights with no way to upgrade them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been a while since I looked into them, but the model with the better sights is the black label version. They also went with a plastic frame on that one, that’s when I lost interest. If I remember right, they did come out with a Regal model that had the better sights with the aluminum frame but it was promptly discontinued. Browning really dropped the ball on this one IMO. Great little gun but too expensive, terrible sights with no way to upgrade them.

I want the 4.25 barrel instead of the 3.65 (if that is correct), since I suppose it should be more accurate (not sure it matters anymore with me eyes).
    I read about the plastic sights & I don't get why a gun at that price point doesn't get decent sights.
    I totally agree about the pricing: it simply is not competitive.
    I have a proven reputation for frugality/cheapness, but I also have shown that I'll dig deeper in my pocket for something that I know is "better."

I just recently bought the Glock 44, getting caught up in the hype & pricing was fine for a new gun.
    Since it has decent sights on it and the usual Glock positives; I have no regrets at this point.
    Don't know how long I'll keep it, but it could end up being the least accurate .22LR that I own while I have it, so it better be reliable in all other regards.

I'm embarrassed to admit I am also curious about the Ruger LCP II .22LR (love small guns), but I've read real negatives about it and one just on this forum that I personally know b/c I have bought and sold guns from/to him.
    It gives me great pause.
    A quote from one of Jane Austin's books: "When my good opinion is lost, it is lost forever." (or something like that) :laugh:

Last edited:

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    If you like small guns you’ll probably like the Beretta 71. Nice little pistol for about 250-300 bucks, problem is original mags are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. Also, all of the recent imports have that stupid fake can attached, can be removed easy enough but you’re left with a threaded barrel with non standard threads. But it is a great little shooter.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you like small guns you’ll probably like the Beretta 71. Nice little pistol for about 250-300 bucks, problem is original mags are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. Also, all of the recent imports have that stupid fake can attached, can be removed easy enough but you’re left with a threaded barrel with non standard threads. But it is a great little shooter.

I came really engrossed with that gun with I discovered it since I was looking for that "perfect" small .22LR.
    I found one I would have bought but the guy had never shot it (appreciated his honesty) & he was wanting a healthy price for it, but I have learned not to buy a gun that the owner hasn't put it through its paces at the range.
    I have been fortunate that the 4 times I've bought a gun like that and it didn't work when I took it to the range, the sellers took it back with apologies: it could have been an expensive lesson.
    Have you shot it?
    What would you compare it to?
    What was it more fun than?

You have reminded me of my interest in them & I checked Gunbroker and there are many available but it would cost with FFL fees & shipping (don't know whether they charge tax now).
    If I shot one at the range, maybe they are the elusive "perfect" small .22LR that I've been looking for. :)
    The Beretta Tomcatt was that gun for me for a long time and I have owned several of them over the years, and just recently bought, shot & sold one for memory lane's sake (picked up one never shot and put in the safe for $300).

"The Beretta Model 70 and 71 are compact single-action . 22-caliber semi-automatic pistols that accommodate an eight-round magazine, weigh 17 ounces with an unloaded magazine and have a 3.5-inch barrel"

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve probably only put a couple hundred rounds through it. Kind of like a Walther PP, but lighter. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I wish you hadn't said that, now I feel like if I stumble across one, I have to give it a try. :dunno:
    But, I've only seen 1 that I remember, locally.
    Just like hearing of the sight issues on the Browning 1911-22 chills me out: I don't have much tolerance for mechanical things that simply aren't right.

Top Bottom