• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I’ve found myself lately thinking about a pistol suppressor host again. Something simple, inexpensive, relatively compact and at least a decent trigger.

Typically my got to 22 pistol is a Ruger Mk, but I know myself well enough that I go down that road it’ll turn into something crazy. I’ve been using my wife’s BuckMark as a host, and I’m really only so-so on them.

Options I’ve considered:
    -Ruger SR22
    -Taurus TX22
    -S&W Compact
    -Walther P22
    -Walther PPQ 22

What others are in that size group that I’m not thinking of?

Tx22 hands down.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

I’ve found myself lately thinking about a pistol suppressor host again. Something simple, inexpensive, relatively compact and at least a decent trigger.

Typically my got to 22 pistol is a Ruger Mk, but I know myself well enough that I go down that road it’ll turn into something crazy. I’ve been using my wife’s BuckMark as a host, and I’m really only so-so on them.

Options I’ve considered:
    -Ruger SR22
    -Taurus TX22
    -S&W Compact
    -Walther P22
    -Walther PPQ 22

What others are in that size group that I’m not thinking of?

I'm also looking at the TX-22. Seems like a really good deal for the money and I've not heard anything negative about it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've been thinking about the TX22 as a trainer. I have some family members and friends that have shared interest with me about wanting to shoot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Since you like the Ruger Mk series, why not use it? You can get one of the short barreled ones, which would make a great suppressor host. That's why I bought my 22/45 Tactical and shooting it at the FGE made me really happy with that decision. So what if you end up going crazy on it? The TX-22 is head and shoulders above everything else on your list and if you won't be happy with that, stick with what you know you like.

You could also look at the new Kel-tec, as it seems interesting as long as you're aware of the caveats MAC highlighted in this video:

[video=youtube_share;bz1dpCwfjF8]https://youtu.be/bz1dpCwfjF8[/video]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Tx22 hands down.

Morning all... :coffee:
    I'm also looking at the TX-22. Seems like a really good deal for the money and I've not heard anything negative about it.

I've been thinking about the TX22 as a trainer. I have some family members and friends that have shared interest with me about wanting to shoot.

Once the roads clear up today, I may have to run to my LGS to see if they have the TX-22 in stock. If so and if the price isn't too bad, I may pick one up.

I’ve held the TX22. I’m not thrilled with it. Haven’t really been thrilled anything I listed though. They are all just meh.

I'm surprised at the open attitude about the TX.
    I usually am open to trying out any new offering (or old) .22LR, and have found some things that are terrific but noone is using them: Colt Target from the 90s, SW 22A (had 3 of them), Beretta Neos (had 2 of them) and more.
    After holding the TX at a local shop and it reminded me of the SW MP Compact (loved it, but moved on), it took the magic away since I felt I had better already.
    I did get to shoot one with a nice red dot on it 2 weeks ago belonging to a member here and it was fine: just unmomentous.
    Not that I wouldn't pick one up just for fun anyway, just too busy with rifles right now (and revolvers).
    I actually am looking forward to the Glock 44 to see if it is a "cut above" the normal offerings out there.
    I'm just amazed they made a .22 caliber & hope they did a good job with it.
    I was not impressed with the Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit I had for my Glock 26 (loved it), before I discovered the CZ Rami, then on to the Sig 365.
    I did shoot a member's .22LR conversion kit on a CZ 75 (I think), and liked it (maybe the difference of a $400 instead of a $200 conversion kit.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The thing to remember about the TX-22 is that it's more a trainer type of pistol than anything else. It's not a bullseye pistol, or anything that will be as accurate as a good Ruger Mk or S&W Victory pistol, but great for training a new shooter, or an inexpensive training handgun for someone who carries a polymer striker fired compact pistol as their EDC. I really wish I could get a CZ P10c in .22 or a conversion kit, as that would be ideal, but the TX-22 seems like it would be a decent alternative, at least for me. That's why I'm thinking about picking one up.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s the trainer aspect that I know people love the Taurus for but that does nothing for me. I have nothing it would be training me for and I just didn’t find them to be comfortable when I’ve held them.

The CP33 lost my interest because of the same issue, just isn’t comfortable for me.

I’m really at a loss with the current 22 pistol market. Lots of good options, none of of them interest me much.

I’ve had 22/45s, MkIVs, Victories and the SR22. All moved on. I’ve held the Walthers, S&Ws, Taurus and Kel-Tecs. None peaked my interest enough to buy. The only MkIIIs I’d really like to have still aren’t threaded and threading them would be painful (they are limited runs).

I’m just stuck and looking for other options that I’m not remembering. There may not be any and I may just continue to use my wife’s BuckMark as the pistol host or keep looking for an inexpensive 422 or variation of that.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Once the roads clear up today, I may have to run to my LGS to see if they have the TX-22 in stock. If so and if the price isn't too bad, I may pick one up.

I was very close to picking one up when the Taurus rebate was on, and there were some stellar sales on them. However, I waited to long on the one source that had them for a great price and that had the no manual safety version. Now I'll likely wait and see how the Glock 44 fares and what its pricing is and compare to what the TX22 is going for at that time.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was very close to picking one up when the Taurus rebate was on, and there were some stellar sales on them. However, I waited to long on the one source that had them for a great price and that had the no manual safety version. Now I'll likely wait and see how the Glock 44 fares and what its pricing is and compare to what the TX22 is going for at that time.
    At first the Glock had me a little interested, but once I remembered the TX22 has a threaded barrel and comes with the adapter, I lost interest in the Glock.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

At first the Glock had me a little interested, but once I remembered the TX22 has a threaded barrel and comes with the adapter, I lost interest in the Glock.

No matter what, the G44 will have a Glock trigger and that's just not acceptable to me, even with strong aftermarket support. I played with the TX-22 at the NRA Convention and thought the trigger was great. For the price, it's a complete Glock-killer in my mind, even at the higher price than it was at with the rebate.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you've only held a tx22 and not shot it you're missing out. With a suppressor it's a lot of fun, without its fast and agile. There is no other semi auto that does what it does. Mks are expensive and finicky, the other clone compacts are low cap with meh triggers.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you've only held a tx22 and not shot it you're missing out. With a suppressor it's a lot of fun, without its fast and agile. There is no other semi auto that does what it does. Mks are expensive and finicky, the other clone compacts are low cap with meh triggers.

I’m glad it’s as popular as it is. It’s good for the industry.

The shape of the grip is unpleasant and I don’t like it.

Top Bottom