• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I picked up a new to me S&W K-22 Masterpiece made in 1949 from an INGO member (with the help of another INGO member) over the weekend.

This gun has seen very little use for it's age and I've wanted one of these since the 70's. I took it to the range today and it did not disappoint, although my old eyes and cold hands didn't do it justice.

IJKF19s.jpg

17 shots with wrists rested on a bag and a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yds...

rbZcf48.jpg

6 shots one handed offhand at 50'...

0GA6Ykz.jpg

At least my flinch was consistent for the two shots I put through one hole high above the black.

That looks just like the one I have. You are going to love it. Keep a brush for the cylinder handy you will need it. They reamed the cylinders tight.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    -1 for placing the pistol scope on backwards, even if just for photo
    How many holes plugged w base removed?

:laugh: I just set it on the table and lined the scope up with the rail for a quick pic: it wasn't clamped down yet; I hadn't even looked through the scope yet.
    Good catch, though!

All 3 drilled holes on top of the barrel are being used when rail on, but I'm not sure I understand the question.
    I'm not sure if the "base" refers to the scope or rail being removed?
    Sorry, I have very little experience with optics.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nice Reed ;)

That looks just like the one I have. You are going to love it. Keep a brush for the cylinder handy you will need it. They reamed the cylinders tight.

Nice old revolver, Tarzan ..... very nice ! :yesway:
    Those had a 6" barrel, correct ?

Thanks guys. Yes MM, 6" barrel. I have a set of walnut Altamont Roper Target grips on order. Should look good and get my trigger finger in better alignment. Also a Wilson Combat spring set. Anything replaced will be kept so it can be put back in original condition.

The SA pull is ~2.2 lbs and has such a crisp break that it feels even lighter. The DA is heavy at ~10+lbs.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I picked up a new to me S&W K-22 Masterpiece made in 1949 from an INGO member (with the help of another INGO member) over the weekend.

A true S&W classic and fantastic looking for 70 years old! And pretty nice shooting too!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Volquartsen is selling their used barrels for the SW22 Victory on Ebay for $100:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223705763379?ViewItem=&item=223705763379

WOW! That makes me want to get one and not sell my Victory that I have for sale and and put it on to see if it moves it up to the top of the list.
    I have a Ruger Mark 3 with a Volquartsen barrel already though, but if it shot as well as it did I would have an easier Victory to clean instead of a Mark 3.

What say ye, masters of .22LR arms? :coffee:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

This gun has seen very little use for it's age and I've wanted one of these since the 70's. I took it to the range today and it did not disappoint, although my old eyes and cold hands didn't do it justice.

IJKF19s.jpg

17 shots with wrists rested on a bag and a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yds...

rbZcf48.jpg

6 shots one handed offhand at 50'...

0GA6Ykz.jpg

At least my flinch was consistent for the two shots I put through one hole high above the black.

That looks like one very sweet pistol

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked this up in Greenfield today just for fun:
    $250 Nickel High Standard Double Nine.
    Nine round, Double Action 22lr Model W-104 1962
    It's the normal D/A & S/A.
    Swing-out cylinder.
    Cylinder was tight.

It comes with a black leather holster.

The D/A is a beast, there is no easing into the trigger; it's a huge tough pull then: bang; there is no in-between, or stages.
    I don't have a device registers that high of a trigger pull, but it reminds me of a 25# pull that I did on an old semi-auto once (maybe worse, if that's possible).
    S/A is fine, I can measure it when I get around to it, but it seems typical.
    I was surprised it was as accurate as it was.
    I'll have to put some red fluorescent paint on the front sight so I can see it, maybe it'll improve my 30' & 40' shooting, maybe not.

Even though it is a hard D/A pull, at 20' it shoots just as good as the S/A for me; it starts to stray at 30'.

47oTCVb.jpg

Range pic. 20', 30' & 40'
    Top row is 20' with S/A on the left & D/A on the right.
    Middle target is 30' with only D/A.
    Bottom row is S/A only.
    LLuhB5c.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked this up today in Gas City.
    Henry Golden Boy.
    I had a Henry over a year ago, but I couldn't even see the front sight or where I was hitting 40' or 50' away.
    Then I discovered optics. :laugh:
    I was actually looking for a bolt action, but stumbled on to this and I liked the profile, and the looks, and the scope.
    I found out it really came down the scope that came with any rifle I'd buy, there would be a fine rifle with a $30 scope on it, or maybe a $90 scope.

I can't wait to take it to the range and pit it against the Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher that I bought from a member months ago.
    With my eyes, there probably won't be any difference in accuracy consistently, but I'll enjoy finding that out.
    Ironically, I found out that the original owner was a member that I've bought 3 of the .22LRs that I still have and others I've sold.
    What was hilarious, is that the person selling this rifle was someone I'd bought a neat 3rd gen SW off of last summer and didn't know it till he told me (I didn't recognize him :dunno:: he was driving a different car :))

EkbA9zH.jpg
    mkfGLrM.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I seen that one - he had some targets posted too. Should be a pretty good shooter and nice to have a Leupold included with the rifle! I have a 1979 Marlin 39A that shoots really well. Also have a Henry lever action - but that one is a 357.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I seen that one - he had some targets posted too. Should be a pretty good shooter and nice to have a Leupold included with the rifle! I have a 1979 Marlin 39A that shoots really well. Also have a Henry lever action - but that one is a 357.

Yes, I remember reading about it when he bought it, never dreaming that I'd own it.
    That type of thing has happened before.
    One time I was with a member at the range and I was shooting a really neat .22LR revolver, and months later I ended up owning it!
    And, unlike many of the guns I've owned, it has survived my trimming the safe preparing for Retirement.

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    Bought a Tacsol 10/22 trigger off of Turbo a few months back and pretty much forgot about it until he sent me a text with a picture of the package. A few days later it showed up!

Exactly what I did(nt) need...an excuse to build. Again, blaming the enabling on Turbo.

Leaning towards either the Odin chassis or the FAB Defense stock. OD and stainless throughout. Undecided on optic yet. I have an inexpensive AT3 Tactical on my fairly stock 10/22 right now that I enjoy, and a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire on the build for my significant other that I haven't had enough time behind to come to a conclusion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom