• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it works for you that's all that matters. Good shooting and nice looking rifle. I like the grey laminate a lot.

I bought it off the .22LR Master here.
    I have bought more guns from him than anyone, even sold him a thing or two in the past.
    It is fun to use an optic and be able to see past 30'.
    I would like to think of an optic on other handguns as well, especially ones where I can't adjust the rear sight, but have great groups.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Nice set-up, I've always been a fan of the Minnlicher stock and the grey looks great.
    Good to see the mount you were wanting, hope it helps your neck issue.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice set-up, I've always been a fan of the Minnlicher stock and the grey looks great.
    Good to see the mount you were wanting, hope it helps your neck issue.
    -

Hey bcannon! Yes, I will be able to spend more time with it now.
    By the way, I posted some better round placement with the Sig P250 yesterday (2nd time I'd shot it), especially using a rest, showing that I'm the X-factor in my previous poor showing.
    I have more hope for keeping for awhile now; I might even put a red dot on it for fun.
    I'd really like to find some used pistol scopes, since I like a scope better than a red dot (unless I was going to shoot steel).
    Bottom left.
    EE4Vxyb.jpg

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    -

Hey bcannon! Yes, I will be able to spend more time with it now.
    By the way, I posted some better round placement with the Sig P250 yesterday (2nd time I'd shot it), especially using a rest, showing that I'm the X-factor in my previous poor showing.
    I have more hope for keeping for awhile now; I might even put a red dot on it for fun.
    I'd really like to find some used pistol scopes, since I like a scope better than a red dot (unless I was going to shoot steel).
    Bottom left.
    EE4Vxyb.jpg

Nice improvement almost scratched a bald spot over your first outing. A scope sounds interesting. Would like to see the set-up when you decide.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Nice improvement almost scratched a bald spot over your first outing. A scope sounds interesting. Would like to see the set-up when you decide.

Gary, if your gonna scope one, try somebody elses first, if you haven't already. Even 2x is dammed difficult to hold steady unless you have a solid rest. 6x on my .35 rem Contender only ever goes that high on the bench or over a set of crossed sticks from a solid seated position.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Gary, if your gonna scope one, try somebody elses first, if you haven't already. Even 2x is dammed difficult to hold steady unless you have a solid rest. 6x on my .35 rem Contender only ever goes that high on the bench or over a set of crossed sticks from a solid seated position.

Exactly ! Heck, I had a 1X crosshair scope on my model 27 Smith for a while (sacrilege, I know......removed it fairly quickly !) ...... and even it was hard for me to take advantage of / hold still unsupported.
    Of course, I'm old .....like doddg ! :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My .35 Rem contender wears a fixed 2X.

Had a 2X on a 22/45 8" and it worked well enough on the range, but the gun shot well enough I would have preferred a 4x.
    Same issue on a Contender .223 w 3 moa reddot...........gun was accurate enough it needed some magnification/smaller aiming point to play with at longer yardage.
    Boring as hell at 50 yards.

In the woods, critters moving, even a 2X might be a bit of a hassle.
    There, on a boomer, I think a RDS might be best.
    But they look funky on a Contender. So I went EER............but so picky I went with a 32 mm obj 2x.
    My old Leupold was fine, just looked silly.

Got an old Japanese Bushnell Trophy 2X.

Looks way better on the gun, and works fine.
    I might end up w a 4X Leupold though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Exactly ! Heck, I had a 1X crosshair scope on my model 27 Smith for a while (sacrilege, I know......removed it fairly quickly !) ...... and even it was hard for me to take advantage of / hold still unsupported.
    Of course, I'm old .....like doddg ! :D

Guy I know had a Burris 1X on a PPC rig.
    It was easy to shoot well.

Too bad they don't make that scope anymore.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is a post I made earlier about my handgun scope.

I put this Nikon Force XR handgun scope, 2x20 EER Matte NP that I bought used in Westfield ($80, I think) on my Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel and trigger work that I bought off a member here.
    I am woefully ignorant about optics and I only bought this one b/c I trusted Chris (owner of Marksman Shooting Sports) b/c I don't know what not to buy and have made mistakes about optics before.
    I look in the classifieds some but I don't buy any handgun scopes b/c I don't know what to get & how much to pay.
    I would like to put some scopes, or even red dots on some other range guns I have.
    I did realize using my Nikon Prostaff scope that came on the Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher rifle (bought here off a member), that I like a scope much better than a red dot, but do realize that if I was shooting steel with a pistol I would need a red dot.
    I might put my Bushnell red dot I tried on my Buckmark Hunter I'm selling and put on the SW 41 and see if I can beat the groups coming from the Ruger M3 Volquartsen (also bought off a member here).

Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel and trigger work with the used Nikon Force XR scope.
    FmKi4RJ.jpg
    Wk5yqqB.jpg
    WDJbKAY.jpg

Ignore red dot.
    mnirq9Z.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Guy I know had a Burris 1X on a PPC rig.
    It was easy to shoot well.

Too bad they don't make that scope anymore.

The 1X Burris Gil Hebard bullseye target dot scope is the best handgun scope I have ever used for free hand shooting. I bought 3 in the last couple of years. Now in my 50s I have fired some of my best targets ever using this scope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Gil Hebard..............aint heard that name for a while LOL.
    Used to put out a nice booklet cataloge.
    Think pops got his Ransom rest from em.

Ran into a guy at work that knew who Don Nygord was.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    We could talk if you are interested in one from the '70's...

v6z7Qdu.jpg

Looks good to me. Pops has an 80's NIB. If he is a stingy old fart we might have to talk.
    Sold my hunting bud a 4X Compact in box like that, got it off Ballentine at a Bill Goodman show in early 90's. Mint.
    Bought another 2 yrs ago, mint.............but no box.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have worked on my S/W 41 replacing the internals and repairing the rear sight.
    The elevation screw needed replaced and it took Jeff from J. M. Gunsmithing weeks to find a new elevation screw (the last one in the U. S. :laugh:) and then re-thread the nut in the rear sight to receive the elevation screw.

Apparently, the drilled holes in the barrel of the 41 (and accompanying rail) were custom work, before SW started drilling the holes in them for consumers.
    I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find a contemporary rail to fit the custom holes b/c I didn't want to take the rear sight off to use the old one custom-made rail.
    It had come with the rail on it with the rear scope off, and I assumed it had to be that way.

A friend here who used to shoot the 41 in competition in his younger days and has provided me with guidance with the 41, was processing with me about what my options were, being an ex-engineer, he said to simply cut the rail so I wouldn't need to take off the rear sight.
    The holes were such that it wouldn't be a problem.

But, when I got to examining the rail fitment closely for the first time, I saw that since it was custom made, I knew the rail was grooved out to fit over the front sight and neatly went to the end of the barrel.
    I also finally saw that the other end was cut to fit just over the edge of the rear sight (don't know why it was done that way), so you didn't have to remove the rear sight.
    I just assumed it didn't fit with the rear sight on it since it was off of it.

I secured the 3 rail screws, and now have the option of running the old 1.5 x20 scope that came with it, or putting my Bushnell red dot on it (I'll try both just for fun!).
    I'll now be able to see if I can place better groups like the 3 other semi-autos I have a scope or red dots on.
    I have sold the Browning Buckmark, and in the process of selling the SW Victory since I didn't need 4 semi-auto target pistols for the range.
    I'll be down to 2: this SW 41 & the Ruger Mark 3 w/Volquartsen barrel with trigger work.
    I loved all 4 of them, and I'll probably hang on to these 2 for awhile since they are different enough, especially if I keep a scope on one and a red dot on the other.

The pics show what I'm talking about and at the bottom are a couple of pics before the rail was put back on.
    iOe45Hn.jpg
    bWBtGZE.jpg
    LmHpUPe.jpg
    l2oneiU.jpg
    jAq8MDN.jpg
    SxFQqEq.jpg

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I picked up a new to me S&W K-22 Masterpiece made in 1949 from an INGO member (with the help of another INGO member) over the weekend.

This gun has seen very little use for it's age and I've wanted one of these since the 70's. I took it to the range today and it did not disappoint, although my old eyes and cold hands didn't do it justice.

IJKF19s.jpg

17 shots with wrists rested on a bag and a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yds...

rbZcf48.jpg

6 shots one handed offhand at 50'...

0GA6Ykz.jpg

At least my flinch was consistent for the two shots I put through one hole high above the black.

Top Bottom