• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    That old '67 10/22 checkered fingergroove did well w Blazer.
    With only a Volq hammer swapped in it was .75 for five shots at 50 yards.
    With a 6X scope.

Of course my other 10/22's hate it.
    Figures since I have several bricks.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    That Blazer amazes me with its accuracy. For an average of 5 5 shot groups in my T1x it does .45" at 50 yards. Very consistent group size, too. For cheap plinking grade ammo it shoots way better than it should.

I tried Blazer in some pistols - sounds like I need to try it in a few rifles as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Haven't been to the range for ages with the Ruger 10/22 Carbine Mannlicher I bought off a member with a Nikon Prostaff (I think) scope.
    I specifically went to Point Blank in Greenwood where I have some passes b/c it has a 25 yds/75' range.
    Since the scope was set for 50' it was shooting high (which I thought it would be shooting low).
    I didn't change the sights since I only had an hour and I was testing out another gun.
    I just started shooting lower to compensate POI being different from POA.
    Another thing: this set up isn't going to work for the long time ownership like it is: it kills my arthritic neck and it not comfortable even with the 1st mag.
    Someone will know if I need to get higher rings or simply a rifle with a steeper angle of the stock. (bought higher rings once, I thought)
    My neck just doesn't want to bend down for me to get my eye lined up with the sight.
    Maybe I just won't be able to shoot rifles. :dunno:

bsgsgAu.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I didn't change the sights since I only had an hour and I was testing out another gun.
    I just started shooting lower to compensate POI being different from POA.

Should not have taken much sight adjustment from 50 to 75 feet. One quick way to get on target is after firing the first shot re-center the crosshairs on the target and then while looking through the scope adjust the reticle to the bullet hole and you should be really close. This is assuming that the rifle is on a solid rest and does not move when making the adjustments.

Another thing: this set up isn't going to work for the long time ownership like it is: it kills my arthritic neck and it not comfortable even with the 1st mag.
    Someone will know if I need to get higher rings or simply a rifle with a steeper angle of the stock. (bought higher rings once, I thought)
    My neck just doesn't want to bend down for me to get my eye lined up with the sight.
    Maybe I just won't be able to shoot rifles. :dunno:

I would just try some higher rings before giving up rifle shooting.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well plans changed a bit. I was really thinking I’d pick up a S&W 617, do an Apex Mass driver hammer, red dot and maybe have made into a 3”. Life through a curveball today when I came across a 1973-ish Model 18-3. The blue is in beautiful shape. Overall, a much cooler revolver than building the 617 would have been.

More errands to run, but pics will be up later.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well plans changed a bit. I was really thinking I’d pick up a S&W 617, do an Apex Mass driver hammer, red dot and maybe have made into a 3”. Life through a curveball today when I came across a 1973-ish Model 18-3. The blue is in beautiful shape. Overall, a much cooler revolver than building the 617 would have been.

More errands to run, but pics will be up later.

What I great buy.
    I saw those for $1200 & $1600 today online.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Loved my 648.
    Popped a few chucks with it, ran it as my IHMSA Field Pistol.
    Got out of the sport, too $ for the kids to shoot plinking.
    No chucks anymore.........just was collecting dust.
    Sold it for twice what I paid.

Man if was a shooter. Had a couple targets, 2" groups offhand. 50 yards. Irons.
    Back to back too.

Never did try the Fed 50 gr. Had a couple rams defy the 40's. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Unfortunately I won't replace it w a 10 shot, layer lock model. Prefer the looks of the old 6 shooter.

Proly just get a bbl for the Contender. 12 or 14" would be wicked.
    Maybe a good red fox zapper..

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice.

Son, you have some small hands going on there. This thing was looking larger than a model 25!

I am not trying to pick on you but it did make me look to the top of the page to see if I was in rimfire or not...

Ha! I can’t argue that. I was not gifted piano fingers. It was a deciding factor in selling my 629, using the double action wasn’t really an option. It also crosses off pretty much all of the Sig DA/SAs. Even 1911s are lifting feeling odd in the hand for me. J-L frame revolvers fit pretty well though so I’ve quickly adapted to them over semi-autos.

The Altamonts grips aren’t helping, I may swap them for something else and put this set on the 67.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Ha! I can’t argue that. I was not gifted piano fingers. It was a deciding factor in selling my 629, using the double action wasn’t really an option. It also crosses off pretty much all of the Sig DA/SAs. Even 1911s are lifting feeling odd in the hand for me. J-L frame revolvers fit pretty well though so I’ve quickly adapted to them over semi-autos.

The Altamonts grips aren’t helping, I may swap them for something else and put this set on the 67.

Larger hands aren't all that great when it comes to gun choices either.

Humphrey Bogart always used Browning auto's in the movies because the 1911's were too large for his hands.

I am having the same problem buying pistols to leave to my son-in-law, Browning Hi Power's are a stretch...

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    If you are having trouble reaching the trigger on any S&W revolver you don't have the wrong revolver you have the wrong grips.
    There is very little difference in the frame grip area on the different size frames. The older guns might have a square butt frame that might feel different but again the grips make the difference.

K, L, N, X might feel different due to barrel weight, length, etc. The trigger pull length is the same on them. The controlling factor of reaching and working that trigger is the grips.
    A new N frame is the same size as a new K frame and L frame where you hold it. (the grip frame and trigger).

Top Bottom