• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wintram

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Please correct me if I am wrong but to my understanding RTW bill says you can choose to not be apart of the union but you receive the same pay benefits and representation that the people who pay union dues get. This doesnt seem fair to me. I am in a union and yes there are some lazy stupid members that do not deserve the job they have but for the most of us we work hard and often times go above and beyond to provide a good service to our customers. So please don't lump all union workers in to the same basket.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Please correct me if I am wrong but to my understanding RTW bill says you can choose to not be apart of the union but you receive the same pay benefits and representation that the people who pay union dues get. This doesnt seem fair to me. I am in a union and yes there are some lazy stupid members that do not deserve the job they have but for the most of us we work hard and often times go above and beyond to provide a good service to our customers. So please don't lump all union workers in to the same basket.
    As has been covered, that is up to the union. If the union chooses to, it can claim to be the "exclusive bargaining representatives" which means it bargains on behalf of all employees - including the non-union employees. A union could just as easily decide to negotiate only on behalf of members.

So ... that being the case, if someone doesn't want to have any of the benefits of a union, does it seem fair that they should be forced to pay dues?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Maybe this has been asked and answered in all of these pages, but:

Why are you union guys so upset over this? Why are you so sure everyone is going to leave the union and the whole thing will collapse? Why are you so sure that so many of your colleagues want out of the system? It seems like the guys here that are against this bill are union guys, are you not representative of the average union workers? I see the talk of great pay and great benefits, so wouldn't everyone want to keep that going rather than desert and watch it collapse? If you guys are just the average union member, why are you so convinced that you're in the minority when it comes to supporting the union?

That's exactly why they are upset, look at all the other RTW States, not a single Union left in any of them!

:rolleyes:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

Not the same representation. People who don't pay dues will not be protected by the union, if they are fired, or aren't performing.

Wagner only applies to collective bargaining.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Maybe this has been asked and answered in all of these pages, but:

Why are you union guys so upset over this? Why are you so sure everyone is going to leave the union and the whole thing will collapse? Why are you so sure that so many of your colleagues want out of the system? It seems like the guys here that are against this bill are union guys, are you not representative of the average union workers? I see the talk of great pay and great benefits, so wouldn't everyone want to keep that going rather than desert and watch it collapse? If you guys are just the average union member, why are you so convinced that you're in the minority when it comes to supporting the union?

Many of the union guys want to get something for nothing.
    They project their attitudes onto other people and assume they will not voluntarily pay "their fair share" for union representation if they can get it for nothing. They claim it will be the end of the unions unless they can force workers to pay dues.
    Since many, many workers think the unions are not worth what it costs to join them, they are probably right.
    Those unions which currently do and continue to give good value for their cost will survive.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Of note, the bill that passed the House was HB 1001 and the Senate passed SB 269. The bills have some differences, so those will either have to be worked out in committee or one or the other house will have to accept the other's version.

Look for more posturing and complaining, right up until Mitch signs it... then look for a rehash next year.

Blessings,
    Bill

I read this morning in the Star that the Senate will take up the house bill and vote on it, rather than try to reconcile and give the Dems another chance to not show up at work.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...passes?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    When all the concrete companies got together and decided to charge more for concrete, that was collusion.

When all the construction companies got together and decided to charge more for labor, that was called solidarity.

:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was a fairly ignorant remark to make. Is there some hidden meaning that we the masses are missing....Just curious.
    Dealt with major mismanagement at so many different Company's. It is a sad and yet serious issue in this country, firing just for spite, not a wise thing to do or to say. Especially when so many seek employment. Hope it never happens to you.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I know that if I ran a company I would fire the most productive people just out of spite.

That is why we need unions.

You would bite your nose off to spite your face? :dunno:
    That doesn't even make sense. :rolleyes:

That was a fairly ignorant remark to make. Is there some hidden meaning that we the masses are missing....Just curious.
    Dealt with major mismanagement at so many different Company's. It is a sad and yet serious issue in this country, firing just for spite, not a wise thing to do or to say. Especially when so many seek employment. Hope it never happens to you.

ATOMonkey was KIDDING...

(Where's Garrett Morris when you need him?)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    GarrettMorris.jpg

hard of hearing, not the exact fit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is a touchy thing to say right now. Kidding or not. Just saying.
    I have a bad taste in my mouth (go easy) from my Union experiences. I and many others do just fine without them. Personal choice.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    That is a touchy thing to say right now. Kidding or not. Just saying.
    I have a bad taste in my mouth (go easy) from my Union experiences. I and many others do just fine without them. Personal choice.

No problem! I've had to manage three different union shops and I have no use for them either. Just wanted to make sure ATOMonkey wasn't damned needlessly.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    When all the concrete companies got together and decided to charge more for concrete, that was collusion.

When all the construction companies got together and decided to charge more for labor, that was called solidarity.

:dunno:

ALL the construction companies????? There are too many out there, and non union can bid on the same work as the union ones. So why do the big jobs go to the union contractors? It sure as hell has nothing to do with right to work.

Top Bottom