right to work: anyone notice a difference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Trade unions seem to be a better example of behavior that is constructive and mutually beneficial.

^^^^^^^ this^^^^^^^^ is the only point i was trying to make. I dont agree with every union out there, though i will not cross their picket line except for circumstances beyond my control hospitals jails power grid buildings ect.

To paint all unions with the same brush would be like, for the sake of this forum, painting all guns the same.

wait are you a glock guy?

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    As a State government employee, as soon as Right To Work was passed, employee policy was changed so that the executive level was precluded from being fired without due process while the rest of us weren't.

Now this is a double edged sword. I perform miracles almost on a daily basis for my agency. They ask some of us to perform tasks far beyond anyone's ability and/or training and experience (I have have 2 degrees and 16 years experience in the field), but we kill ourselves to get the job done since we understand that the people of Indiana rely on us and if we don't innocent people will get screwed over. The other side of that is that half of the employees are GROSSLY unqualified for their position and should be let go (but they don't because that's the nature of government).

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've not seen any changes, buy what do I know? I've been unable to find work of any kind for six years come January 2014. Got fired by a Green Card Holder who is required by law to leave the Country for 30 days each year.

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    I've not seen any changes, buy what do I know? I've been unable to find work of any kind for six years come January 2014. Got fired by a Green Card Holder who is required by law to leave the Country for 30 days each year.

I find this hard to believe

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am 64 years old and a victum of Agent Orange. I have much difficulty walking plus other things. I am numb from my hips down and from my elbows down. I need both shoulders replaced. Add that with no federal dollars coming in for our infrastructure project: Bridges, Sewer Systems, Highways, Freeways, etc. For the most part, the infrastructure work you see being done was designed years ago or being funded by local dollars. It does not take someone like me to repave a street or add sidewalks.

I am a PE with more than 30 years experience. My friends still in the business tell me they have trouble keeping there current people busy. I can believe them.

Plus, I am expensive, even though I will easily work at half price at half time.

Believe it. I've been out of work for years. There are others like me too.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis

When you see your bridges falling down under you, your sewer systems collapsing under you, your streets and highways falling apart right under your tires, you will believe me.

I am small change. Don't worry about me because I will survive. Be concerned about our local infrastructure. Most of our State Bridges are in need of repair, but the State has no money to do so to the degree the repairs are needed. Patching is all that can be done right now, but someday that won't be enough.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    We're idling machines and whole furnaces (each furnace feeds several machines) from OK to MO to IL. Thank you all for drinking Bud light, eating enough Smuckers jellies, and various pasta sauces and doing your home canning in Ball jars. Thanks to you, and our obsessive pursuit of quality, we're putting in a new machine next month. This isn't an addition, but it is a several million dollar upgrade.
    We argue about all the typical stuff companies and unions argue about, but we all understand that putting a quality product on the truck and getting paid for it IS the bottom line.
    To answer your question directly, I haven't seen anything to show any improvements or losses because of right to work.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As a State government employee, as soon as Right To Work was passed, employee policy was changed so that the executive level was precluded from being fired without due process while the rest of us weren't.

Now this is a double edged sword. I perform miracles almost on a daily basis for my agency. They ask some of us to perform tasks far beyond anyone's ability and/or training and experience (I have have 2 degrees and 16 years experience in the field), but we kill ourselves to get the job done since we understand that the people of Indiana rely on us and if we don't innocent people will get screwed over. The other side of that is that half of the employees are GROSSLY unqualified for their position and should be let go (but they don't because that's the nature of government).

The classification of state employees had nothing to do with RTW. In fact, I think the legislation preceded RTW by at least a year. State employees were reclassified as "at-will" unless some aspect of the agency funding required civil service type protection.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    We are noticing alot more interest in investing in Indiana since RTW. I have seen a shift in many attitudes and look to increased investment as well as less interest in leaving Indiana. One must remember that things don't happen overnight when they envolve planning-aquiring land/site plans/zoning-financing-community support-facility contruction-staffing-and about 100 steps in between. I think that it is fair to say that every major manufacturing operation in Indiana consider RTW as a major factor in operation/expansion/relocation. Look at the auto industry as a bellweather in Indiana, Toyota Honda Suberu and all the suppliers are + vs. GM Ford Chrysler are -. I understand overall market forces and much bigger issues affect the "big 3" downturn but I think the expansion in Indiana of the toyo,honda,subu's of the world have to be noticed at least. I look to second Q 2014 bringing exciting things to Indiana.

Top Bottom