• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buy ammo when you find it just to sell it here for more that what you paid.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I bought my last batch of 223 components for less than $180 per k and that is including brass. There is no way you can do that now. I laugh when I see guys paying $600 per k. The price difference of 1000 rounds alone will buy a nice progressive press.

Actually, as of last Friday there was a way, as I've just stated. Being at the right place at the right time, prepared to buy in volume is key right now. Buying powder by the pound, bullets by the hundred and paying $40+ for 1,000 primers and $80 per M for brass just makes no cents.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    wrong

If I were to find a good ceal on some ammo that I had no use for I would try to find someone who could use to help them out and maybe trade for some that I needed :nuts: WRONG

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I'll take it.

WTS: 300 WSM ammo: $40 per 20. :D

PM me when you will be in or near Bloomington (there is a nice little airport here and you can drop in get it and give me a short ride :D) and you can have it for nuttin'!
    It's just sitting in my cabinet looking for someone that can use it, sold my 300WSM.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. I was in Wal-Mart the other day and they had 19 boxes of 45. I could of bought all of them but didn't. I got on the phone and called all my buddies that owned 45's to let them in on the find.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks for the advice on what I should do and what I shouldn't We all have different personalities. If I was going to the range with some of the guys on here and one of them said they didn't have the ammo to go, I would give it to them and just say catch me next time. I wouldn't look upon it as an opportunity to make a few bucks. (Obviously i wouldn't continue to do it if they didn't replace the ammo as I will not be taken advantage of, so let's get that out of the way.) But you obviously would do otherwise, apparently.
    I missed this, but a close friend was reading this thread and pointed it out to me.

Rather than get worked up about it, I'll just say that no friend ... indeed, no friend of a friend has ever gone without on a range trip if I had any ammo at all. You feel free to read "Evil Robber Baron" into that if you want, but you'll be wrong.

Cheers.

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    I've sold some ammo on here that I no longer had anything to feed it to in order to get more of what I could use. I established my prices by taking an average out of the SGN and then cutting it by about 15%. It likely ended up selling for more than what I had in it- but less than the current pricing.The powder, bullets, and primers I was replacing that ammo with has also went up accordingly. I don't feel this forum is the place for outrageous pricing, lets leave that to GB and the 1500, I was under the impression those of us on this forum were trying to help out fellow like-minded individuals.
    Just my .02

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Why do I miss all the good threads until they're winding down??

a) Good on ya, Fenway! Hardly the first or only incident from the "banned."

b) Short of some creative or overly complicated rules (and time consuming, on the part of an unpaid, volunteer mod staff), the exchange will always be filled with some ads/posters who make you scratch your head... maybe even **** you off.

c) You'll take from this forum what you put into it:
    1. Mostly really good data and some often-repeated incorrect hearsay.
    2. Spirited discussion - some of which that you will inevitably disagree.
    3. Maybe some friends... Maybe some folks you wouldn't urinate on if they were on fire.

It's Fenway's house and we're the party guests. Some folks helped him throw the party (site advertisers, still his house.) Some of us bring some beer/food (site supporters.) Some just show up. He has welcomed us all. I'm under the impression he wants the culture to be like a group of friends; moderation and rules support that notion.

This is NOT ebay/gunbroker.

Cut to the chase? Some folks are truly a$$hats. I've put a handful of folks on "ignore." Never because I disagreed with their ideas or comments - always due to their behavior on the exchange. Yes, iujeffcpa was one of them. Put 'em on ignore and i'm not tempted even when they're peddling a good deal.

I don't expect or request that Fenway et al police every ad for a perceived idea of a fair price. Nor do I think it is in good form to crap in another person's ad with comments about price, etc.. I do think we should, with Fenway's blessing, feel free to ask/answer question in a non-exchange forum (or a specialized exchange sub-forum "Advice") about a typical going price or if a trade deal is a decent deal for both parties.
    • Folks get the mentoring some missed out on.
      Prices are discussed and good retail deals could be pointed out.
      No one's thread would get directly crapped on.

Ultimately, whatever floats Fenway's boat; I'm along for the ride. I'll take care of me and mine ("mine" includes a large number of people on this forum ;) .)

I'll also make regular use of the "ignore" button and deal only with folks whom I have no lack of respect.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Okay, I've read where several people are looking for 380 and some places are wanting as much as $50 for a box of 50 S&B FMJ's. So I decided to look in my safe and see how much 380 I have. I've listed 3 boxes in the classifieds. I purposely didn't list a cash price as I'm mostly wanting to trade. I'm not getting much interest in it.

One box I have is Winchester 85 gr Silvertip. Midway's price is $33.49 a box but obviously they're out. I looked on Gunbroker and it is going anywhere from $40-70+ a box not including shipping. Truth be told, this ammo was given to me free. I got several boxes and have shot some of them. I went through and decided what I want to keep and what I'm willing to sell. I'm more than happy to put it back in my safe.

Here's my question. What do you all think is a fair price for me to set on this particular box of ammo? It doesn't matter that I got it free. It wouldn't matter if I was paid a $100 bill to take it off the person's hands as that doesn't affect the current market value.

A. Should I sell it for $33.49? I can't replace it for that. Sure, it would be helping a fellow INGO member out. How do I know that fellow INGO member won't go list it on Gunbroker and make a quick $20 off of my kindness?

B. Should I price it more in line with Gunbroker pricing and be called an evil profiteer?

C. Or, should I put it back in my safe and sit on it so you have one less option to buy it?

Seriously, I would like to get some of your thoughts on this scenario.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    hornadlnl.... personally I would'nt sell any ammo.. I have traded ammo for ammo in the past and is the only way i will let ammo go.

Trade for something you need if you want to get rid of it.

Trade for equal values.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    hornadylnl, why not list it for around $35 . Regardless of what you got it for, $35 bucks or so makes you a couple of dollars, saves the buyer a couple of dollars (by the time you count in shipping, etc), and everyone is happy. If profit is what people are after, then obviously as its been discussed, there are other sites for that. But really, if you have no use for it and can help someone out and gain $35 or so.... or trade for something around that value that you could use, then why not? I don't think anyone is asking people to lose money, but rather if they wish to sell on this particular forum, then be reasonable and fair.

It's more about those treating it as a source of income than it is about those wishing to trade/sell something of little value or worth to themselves for something that they wish to obtain. (IMHO)

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Just don't sell him junk at the treasures price!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got several items on the ad I'm willing to trade for. I'd rather trade it as I'll probably get a better deal that way.

Besides, if I get down to the 380 ammo when shtf, it's time to hang my hat and call it a day anyway. I ask the above questions in all seriousness to try to get a feel for what members on here think.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sam, I agree and that is pretty much my thoughts as well. But what if I sell it to a "fellow INGO'er" and he flips it on another forum for a big profit? I'll make money regardless but that money tree I planted last year didn't produce anything for me yet and I'm not someone else's charity case.

I want to trade as I'll get a better value that way. I'm not saying I want $70 for this box.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Sam, I agree and that is pretty much my thoughts as well. But what if I sell it to a "fellow INGO'er" and he flips it on another forum for a big profit? I'll make money regardless but that money tree I planted last year didn't produce anything for me yet and I'm not someone else's charity case.

I want to trade as I'll get a better value that way. I'm not saying I want $70 for this box.

Unfortunately that is the risk we take as INGO members, and I can only hope that our fellow members wouldn't do that. Now, that being said, I am not naive either, so it is most certainly a possibility that it could happen, and you just have to chalk it up as part of it. The real question becomes, "Am I happy/satisfied/feel okay about what I received for it?" If so, then who cares what happens to it after it leaves your hands. If someone tries to flip it on INGO, they will very likely be ignored or called out, as at that point the only way they make money is to make it unreasonable.

On the other hand, if it is the difference of $30 profit that you could be making that would help out your personal situation, then I think we would all encourage you to pursue a gunbroker type or alternate site and do what you have to do for your sake. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone on here will resent you going to another board if you need the money. This board is first and foremost a forum for collaboration and knowledge sharing, and secondly (as a bonus) for sharing classifieds so that people can swap and exchange ($ included) things that they cannot use or do not want for things they need. Sometimes thats cash, sometimes its ammo, and sometimes its something completely random. Either way, profiteering should be left to other boards and communities. When you step in the INGO door, take off your shoes, relax, and be fair and responsible. What happens outside of INGO and on the other sites is your business. That is the philosophy I have tried to take, and I have yet to sell anything, and honestly don't plan to anytime soon. I like what I have at them moment!

Top Bottom