• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buy ammo when you find it just to sell it here for more that what you paid.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I agree no need for regulation. I still support raising the post count from 10 to 20 or so, but that is for unrelated reasons. Here on INGO we tend to not only speak with our wallets we also have been known for minor heckling or :bigballs: from time to time :D.. Don's guns is the biggest rip off in history and I would never buy anything from him, but unless he breaks the law he has every right to be in business... However the classified section here is not meant to be a business section (IMO) But more like a garage sale or swap meet...:D

From the friendship ethics (or lack of) of some of our "new" friends, maybe the post count should be 100+ :popcorn:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    On an unrelated note, did you pay anywhere close to $425 for those 5 South African 7.62 battlepacks you are selling?

what does this have to do with anything? as with some things, guns and ammo tend to gain value over time. If I buy 1000 rounds of X ammo 5 years ago, and today it is worth twice what I paid, then I can sell it for that. Market values is what it is. I, or anyone else, should not be expected to sell the ammo for what I paid for it, IF it has indeed gone up in value.

NOW, buying ammo at wally world for X dollars today, and selling it for Y dollars this afternoon is another story. Again, I vote with my wallet.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

This board is private property.

I would not want a kid, who otherwise doesn't come around, coming into my yard and setting up his Kool-Aid stand and charging a buck per glass.

If, however, he came around to mow lawns and talk to the "old" guy and whatnot, I wouldn't have a real problem with it. I might tell him that the price was high and folks wouldn't pay it, but that's all.

I have a real problem with folks who come to this board, post 10 messages, then start selling.

I'm not criticizing Fenway by any stretch of the imagination, but at H&A, we require 30 posts before posting WTS items. Anyone can post WTB.

In other words, we want the person to 1) stick around, and not just use the board for profit, and 2) develop a reputation so folks can be informed when they decide to buy.

The man who this thread is about, did not develop any sort of real reputation before beginning his seller's posts, and he must have had a bad week, because he screwed both me and one other member royally that same week.

It is good that he was put in his place.

As for friends here, I would not dream of doing anything but helping out. I've both sent and received free stuff behind the scenes, and very much hope this trend of Karma continues! :)

Josh <><

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    From the friendship ethics (or lack of) of some of our "new" friends, maybe the post count should be 100+ :popcorn:
    I think 50 would be a good number. It would eliminate the resellers who don't know or care about anyone but themselves. It would also save some noobies from falling into panic buying traps, thinking they are safe on this good site.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have noticed several people wanting to defend themselves by yelling free market and capitalism. If you were actually running a business I would agree. If you are out there paying overhead, paying to advertise, then charge whatever you want. Then the free market system can work. If enough people find out you are overcharging, you don't get enough business to keep your doors open and you close. Here you have no overhead at all. You try to profit off the largesse of Fenway and the Ingo advertisers and Site Supporters. You want to have it both ways. You want Fenway and this site to cover your costs but then resent it when the people that help support this site out you. We get to post comments on here about retailers all the time. We discuss whether they overcharge and that members should steer clear of them because of pricing or customer service. Why is the fact that someone on here is overcharging such a sacred cow.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have noticed several people wanting to defend themselves by yelling free market and capitalism. If you were actually running a business I would agree. If you are out there paying overhead, paying to advertise, then charge whatever you want. Then the free market system can work. If enough people find out you are overcharging, you don't get enough business to keep your doors open and you close. Here you have no overhead at all. You try to profit off the largesse of Fenway and the Ingo advertisers and Site Supporters. You want to have it both ways. You want Fenway and this site to cover your costs but then resent it when the people that help support this site out you. We get to post comments on here about retailers all the time. We discuss whether they overcharge and that members should steer clear of them because of pricing or customer service. Why is the fact that someone on here is overcharging such a sacred cow.

:+1:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Okay, I may be dense, but I missed something somewhere. Who got the boot and who gave the Fen a Smart Ass reply? :scratch:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    what does this have to do with anything? as with some things, guns and ammo tend to gain value over time. If I buy 1000 rounds of X ammo 5 years ago, and today it is worth twice what I paid, then I can sell it for that. Market values is what it is. I, or anyone else, should not be expected to sell the ammo for what I paid for it, IF it has indeed gone up in value.
    Value is not a universal truth defined by some law of nature, Clay. You know and expect values to change over time, and are comfortable with that. That's a step in the right direction. Now, are you okay with the idea that a given item may be valued differently by different people? For instance, given the same opportunity to buy $30 battle packs of .308, my friend bought and I didn't. At the time the only .308 rifle I had was a bolt-action that I reloaded for, so I wasn't as interested in milsurp ammo and it wasn't worth $30 to me. It was easily worth $30 to my friend who owned an M1A, so he bought it. So, at that one moment, the very same .308 battle packs had multiple values depending on the buyer.

Market values are nothing more than the estimated average of a series of recent transactions wherein each individual buyer had to make the decision whether or not the item for sale was worth the asking price. In short, it can always be reduced to a specific buyer and a specific seller, and the situation that they find themselves in.

Now, I say all this because either you accept that value is relative or you don't. Just because a $19.95 box of cheap 9mm ammo isn't worth $34 to you (or me!), doesn't mean it isn't worth $34 to someone else. And if it isn't worth $34 to anyone, then the only person hurt is the person trying to get too much out of their ammo.
    NOW, buying ammo at wally world for X dollars today, and selling it for Y dollars this afternoon is another story.
    Why? Or put another way, what is an acceptable time-frame to make a profit? If new "assault weapons" are banned tomorrow, the value of any covered weapons already on the market will go up drastically overnight. Is that gouging? If I don't have the time or the ability to hit a Walmart to get that deal, and someone is willing to provide that service, and I'm willing to pay their exorbitant rates, why shouldn't that transaction be allowed?
    Again, I vote with my wallet.
    Exactly as you should.

haldir said:
    I have noticed several people wanting to defend themselves by yelling free market and capitalism.
    I'm defending the principle. I have no need to defend myself.
    haldir said:
    Here you have no overhead at all. You try to profit off the largesse of Fenway and the Ingo advertisers and Site Supporters. You want to have it both ways. You want Fenway and this site to cover your costs but then resent it when the people that help support this site out you.
    1. If Fenway didn't want to offer the forum, or any part of it, he wouldn't.
    2. Having set up and administrated a number of websites, and being familiar with the costs associated with such an endeavor, I don't think Fenway is losing money. If he is, he should let me know and we'll try to find him more reasonable hosting.
    3. I have absolutely no problem with open and honest discussion of prices. I have issues with people who feel it is somehow unethical to make a profit.
    haldir said:
    We get to post comments on here about retailers all the time. We discuss whether they overcharge and that members should steer clear of them because of pricing or customer service. Why is the fact that someone on here is overcharging such a sacred cow.
    Truckerman79 said:
    Part of a free market is people calling out what is obviously a rip off.
    I tend to agree. This is another case where well-intentioned rules (i.e. the restriction on commenting on someone's price) cause long-term problems. If you have such strong opinions about Fenway's rules against calling people out on bad prices, maybe you should contact him.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    SE: it is irritating isn't it. Little hits on occasion about stuff that has happened...

i think that we need a news page (no responses allowed if it would make Fenway and the Mods feel better). Where they would post about a thread that was deleted and why? Same kind of thing if they ban someone. That way all of us would be on notice of behavior expectations (actually it is mostly because we all are nosy and want to know, but this sounds like a good excuse).

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Thanks guys! I knew we had to be talking about the same thread. I just never read the rest of the thread. That's messed up. That's like saying "Hey Fenway! :fawk:" To his face! +1 for Fenway for kicking some good arse!

SE: it is irritating isn't it. Little hits on occasion about stuff that has happened...

i think that we need a news page (no responses allowed if it would make Fenway and the Mods feel better). Where they would post about a thread that was deleted and why? Same kind of thing if they ban someone. That way all of us would be on notice of behavior expectations (actually it is mostly because we all are nosy and want to know, but this sounds like a good excuse).

I think this would be a good idea. Things that are private could be kept private, but most things would be nice to know about. Like members who are giving others problems, etc. Now things like Naked Girls getting deleted from the Girls and Guns thread wouldn't be a big deal. Unless she was fat nasty, that would be a party foul deserving of a beat down.... :D

Back on subject here, I think it's crap that people price stuff so high, but what about the people paying the price? Shouldn't they be informed?

How about a sticky on current market prices for the most popular stuff? Make it required reading, or suggested reading for New people to the board. Add in the Intro PM to read those other stickied threads and such. And I would FULLY support raising the Post count for selling to a minimum of 50 posts. Anyone found to be spamming threads just get their post deleted. That is for n00bs of course. Us with an established reputation can still spam the hell outta you all we want! :p J/K

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    haha you may own the site or whatever but you clearly don't have the control, because I was able to reopen it lol. Anyway, your opinions are just that and I'm not the only one on here selling at this price.

Regardless, it is all sold so the prices must not have been that bad. Also, I was flexible in my price.

Later,

Jeff

:popcorn: this is about to get REAL good.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    This board is private property.
    True. We need to remember that this is Fenway's playground and we have to abide by his rules. If he decided to close every WTS where he thought that the evil, vile, sick, putrid, disgusting seller was going to make a profit then fine, again his playground his rules. What really concerns me is that we have a large segment of our group that is fiercely opposed to people making a profit on anything they sell.

I find that is more than a little scary.

Back on subject here, I think it's crap that people price stuff so high, but what about the people paying the price? Shouldn't they be informed?
    I have no problem with that, but again Fenway decided that it was against the rules to comment on someone's price.

How about a sticky on current market prices for the most popular stuff?
    That seems to me to be a lot of work for our Mods to have to do something that everyone could and should do on their own. But if someone WANTS to do it more power to them.

Top Bottom