Right Hand Weapons Made for Left Handed Shooters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    As a left handed person who has shot right handed guns my whole life, I have always argued that "right handed" guns are truly for left handed operators. Let me explain to you what I'm on about.

Before you think long and hard as to why this could be, let me tell you my reasoning. It's quite simple. As a left hander, I obviously always have the grip in my left hand, and manipulate with my right hand. Let's take an AR-15 for example. The safety and bolt release are on the left side of the weapon with the mag release and forward assist on the right side. I hold the grip in my left hand obviously and can manipulate the safety with my left thumb and the bolt release with my pointer. Mag release, forward assist and charging handle are taken care of with my right hand. I think that a right handed gun is left handed because I want to keep my strong hand on the grip at all times. A "left handed" gun would take modifications, things like a BAD lever, for example, to make this possible.

Does that make sense or nonsense to anyone else, or is it just my backwards left handed brain?

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Makes sense to a fellow left hander to a point. The various parts are designed to be operated with the right hand and we have learned to work around them. Mag changes have always been tough for me; even though I am fast, my right handed opponents are faster. Having been around long enough to get burns from hot casings on my face with the m16a1 I was grateful for the triangular blocks fashioned into newer models.

I have become an ambidextrous shooter carrying my M4 to the left, strong side with the M9 on the right.

My 2¢„ YMMV

JJP8153

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Makes sense to a fellow left hander to a point. The various parts are designed to be operated with the right hand and we have learned to work around them. Mag changes have always been tough for me; even though I am fast, my right handed opponents are faster. Having been around long enough to get burns from hot casings on my face with the m16a1 I was grateful for the triangular blocks fashioned into newer models.

I have become an ambidextrous shooter carrying my M4 to the left, strong side with the M9 on the right.

My 2¢„ YMMV

Myself as well. I still shoot better left handed, but can stay pretty competitive with the off hand as well.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I always thought the AK was designed for lefties! :)

Bolt guns are not... :(

This issue I have is if you're "slung up" then there's no using your right hand and you have to manipulate controls with your left hand - not cool.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I mostly agree with your reasoning. I've never had a problem with either long or hand guns. In both, there are some manufacturers that make it easier on we lefties than others.

Top Bottom