• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm wanting to get a rifle and pistol and in a shared caliber. I would also like to be able to use the rifle to hunt deer with. not really interested a revolver though. Not that I am totally ruling out a Wheel gun but would rather carry a semi-auto just for comfort issues. This would not be my primary carry gun I have hat covered. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated Thanks!!!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can go with a 44 mag or 357 mag in a Ruger bolt action or marlin lever gun with a Desert Eagle. As stated above, no other semi autos chambered for legal deer hunting in our state. Some states allow 10mm but not Indiana.

Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    You can go with a 44 mag or 357 mag in a Ruger bolt action or marlin lever gun with a Desert Eagle. As stated above, no other semi autos chambered for legal deer hunting in our state. Some states allow 10mm but not Indiana.
    Yeah I like a lever action and actually i can do this in .357 also. Its the pistol side of the combo that im stuck on. D-Eagle is an option except $$$$$$.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coonan (.357), Desert Eagle (.357, .41 .44, .50), Grizzly (.44, .45 Winmag) and Wildey (.45 Winmag).
    None cheap, none light weight.

For packing along as a seconday rig, Smith N frame is about as trim as one can go. Lighter still a scandium 329 PD .44 mag. I like a reg 4 or 6" 629 though.

Do you want your rifle to be a semi auto too? Ruger .44 or AR in .45 Winmag (if wanting same chambering).

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm wanting to get a rifle and pistol and in a shared caliber. I would also like to be able to use the rifle to hunt deer with. not really interested a revolver though. Not that I am totally ruling out a Wheel gun but would rather carry a semi-auto just for comfort issues. This would not be my primary carry gun I have hat covered. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated Thanks!!!

Yeah I like a lever action and actually i can do this in .357 also. Its the pistol side of the combo that im stuck on. D-Eagle is an option except $$$$$$.

Felix, Just an observation/suggestion. You are sort of contradicting yourself. If you have concerns that a regular 357/44 mag revolver is a comfort issue the D-Eagel is 1/3 if not more the wieght to lug around. Coonon Arms had a 357 1911 style several years ago but I'm not even sure they are still around. It was also BIG in the grip area. Let alone if you can even get parts for it now.

From your criteria it seems you are stuck with a revolver. Try a 357 Marlin and a S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 in a 4" barrel. The 357 L frame S&W or GP 100 are really are not that uncomfortable. (theS&W N frame and Ruger Redhawk frame 44 mags you are starting to get into the bigger revolvers so the 357 will probably be the upper limit on your criteria)

You can change the sights on the wheelgun to the Cylder and Slide Extreme duty. the are similar to Novak's and don't snag. You can even go a step farther and bob the hammer.

You can shoot DAO revolvers just as accurate and quicker than a SA capable it's if you allow yourself to get trained properly from one of us old revolver guys.

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    i would go with a dessert eagle in .44 if you are looking for a semi out handgun then a lever gun in same caliber.

Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    Coonan (.357), Desert Eagle (.357, .41 .44, .50), Grizzly (.44) and Wildey (.45 Winmag).
    None cheap, none light weight.

For packing along as a seconday rig, Smith N frame is about as trim as one can go. Lighter still a scandium 329 PD .44 mag. I like a reg 4 or 6" 629 though.

Do you want your rifle to be a semi auto too? Ruger .44 or AR in .45 Winmag (if wanting same chambering).

First of all thanks!
    Rifle does not need to be semi auto. Kinda like the Cowboy guns!!! Although how cool would an AR be....... Didn't relize that was an option now need to look at the=at make sure I can hunt with it??

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have yet to see an old revolver guy shooting IHMSA field pistol or big bore in double action.
    Hunting? Yeah, take that 100 or 150 yard shot like that.
    Big difference putting holes in the middle zone of a B27 at 21 ft vs that other stuff.

Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    Felix, Just an observation/suggestion. You are sort of contradicting yourself. If you have concerns that a regular 357/44 mag revolver is a comfort issue the D-Eagel is 1/3 if not more the wieght to lug around. Coonon Arms had a 357 1911 style several years ago but I'm not even sure they are still around. It was also BIG in the grip area. Let alone if you can even get parts for it now.

From your criteria it seems you are stuck with a revolver. Try a 357 Marlin and a S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 in a 4" barrel. The 357 L frame S&W or GP 100 are really are not that uncomfortable. (theS&W N frame and Ruger Redhawk frame 44 mags you are starting to get into the bigger revolvers so the 357 will probably be the upper limit on your criteria)

You can change the sights on the wheelgun to the Cylder and Slide Extreme duty. the are similar to Novak's and don't snag. You can even go a step farther and bob the hammer.

You can shoot DAO revolvers just as accurate and quicker than a SA capable it's if you allow yourself to get trained properly from one of us old revolver guys.

Yes I know weight and bulk is an issue that why Im looking for advise/opinions. .357 seems to be the best choice if I want less weight / bulk. But I like the range of the .44 in the rifle when it come to deer huntinf. you gave me some other options though thanks!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you're going to go AR, screw the wussy legal offering and go .450 Bushmatser or .458 Socom. They hammer the deer and do so out quite a ways farther.

But to keep costs down a bit (since AR's are stupid priced for the moment), and for medium range stuff (medium Indiana deer hunting range).......44 mag is pretty cool.
    I had a Marlin and it slicked up fairly quick after handling/shooting and shot factory 240's just fine (1.5" at 100). But that was a Marlin build, not Remington/Marlin.

My dad's Ruger auto didn't shoot as well but the cool factor for me makes it my only choice in .44 mag rifle. This yr I went with a TC Contender carbine in .35 Remington, cartridge shortened to be legal. Like old guns? A forum member used an old Remington auto and took a nice buck............outdoor forum, made for an AWESOME picture!

If you like pretty guns and want some thump, check out a Ruger #1 falling block single shot in .460 S&W. That will also accept .45 LC and .454 Casull. But with the shorter rounds I have no idea how one would shoot.

Handgun, I like the Smiths, but have also used Ruger single actions. Season over, folks wanting "tacticool" stuff, might find a nice trade in at your LGS for very reasonable price.

Felix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Porter County
    I have yet to see an old revolver guy shooting IHMSA field pistol or big bore in double action.
    Hunting? Yeah, take that 100 or 150 yard shot like that.
    Big difference putting holes in the middle zone of a B27 at 21 ft vs that other stuff.
    Not really looking to hunt with the pistol side of the shared caliber just the rifle. but may want to carry the pistol. and im not into compition shooting (my wife would kill me if i picked up another "hobby") so not sure what you mean by "I have yet to see an old revolver guy shooting IHMSA field pistol or big bore in double action.
    Hunting?"

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    ^ This. I'm not aware of a standard semi-auto pistol round that is legal for hunting.

Desert Eagle, as mentioned, in 357 Mag or .44 Mag.

.45 Win Mag would be cool, but I don't know of anyone who makes a .45 Win Mag in rifle -- but you might be able to find a .30 Carbine converted to .45 Win Mag. They are quite rare.

Top Bottom