• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not to get off tipic but, When I bought my house on 23 acres I was patient and polite and asked nice but firm and they left, tried giving it a minute. I haven't had a lot of major issues but I will now have anyone sighted for it. That's the only way to fix that from happening.

Have had very little issue since. There was also an article in Field and Stream or Outdoor life on the very thing.

Sad thing if they would have just asked politely 99.9% chance I would have let them hunt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The gov signed a bill to allow 5 new HP rifle cartridges.

He did not sign a bill that limits deer hunting now to those 5 cartridges.

Why is this so hard to understand?

New law is an addition, not a replacement.

Along with many other INGOers, I've been told that I can't read English. So there's that.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    The gov signed a bill to allow 5 new HP rifle cartridges.

He did not sign a bill that limits deer hunting now to those 5 cartridges.

Why is this so hard to understand?

New law is an addition, not a replacement.

That's not how I read it. I'm not a lawyer, but:

HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1231; AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning natural and cultural resources. Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:SECTION 1. IC 14-22-2-8 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVEUPON PASSAGE]:Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January1, 2020.(b) A hunter may use a rifle...(e) This section expires June 30, 2020

Sec. 9. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016.(b) Notwithstanding any rule prescribing the minimum length of a handgun cartridge case, a hunter may use a handgun that fires a commercially available bullet of ten (10) millimeters in diameter to hunt deer.

No expiration date is mentioned for Sec. 9 (a), but it specifically mentioned (twice) for Sec 8 (a). So this makes it sound like only the rifle section 8(a) is a probationary trial period. But it doesn't mention replacing current law either.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Amendment to allow 5 cartridges in HP rifles for a 4 yrs study, starting with this year's deer season.

Does nothing to previous equipment allowances (other than say 10mm- should say "10mm auto" specifically IMHO- are also legal for deer in handgun- even though they don't meet the 1.16" min case length..........which still is a requirement for all other HG cartridges).

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    IMHO if one can't figure this out they need to stick with fishing.

On that, I can agree.

If the discussion is "Will my 300 Blackout rifle be legal?", then I can see that as a legitimate question given the language of the bill that Pence signed and rumors of a 'technical correction'.

Asking about anything that doesn't start with 243, 30-30, 308, 30-06 or 300 is just.....yeah.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What's a 300, presume anything with a 6mm .243 or .308 diameter bullet can be used.

Don't presume, read the bill...

It does not say "anything with .243 or .308 caliber bullet", it specifically mentions chamberings. Problem is they only denoted chamberings numerically, without the specific make.

It appears as though lawmakers intended to specifically denote the 243 Winchester, 30-30 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield and 300 Win Mag...but they didn't do that.

That means, as the bill was signed by the Governor, "243 ___________" is legal, but 6mm Remington is not, and how "300 _________________" is legal, but 30 Remington AR is not.

If the bill goes through a Technical Correction by the legislature in June/July then at that time they can add the specific makes, but in lieu of that the chambering allowances are fairly liberal toward anything containing those specific numbers.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Having read through much of this and other threads as well as reading the bill itself I would say that using any cartridge that does not carry the headstamp of the calibers listed could have consequences. By this I mean that while a 40 S&W does use the same bullet as a 10mm round the case is not marked 10mm. This goes for the other calibers listed as well.

PLM2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ashley, DeKalb County
    What I don't understand is who needs to have a high powered rifle to hunt? What's wrong with a shotgun? I just don't want to see people trying to take a 300 yard shot on a deer and have no idea where their bullet is actually going. Seems like an accident waiting to happen. JMO.....

Top Bottom